Let's keep the GGI thread tidy (aka Hey Cormoclash) (1 Viewer)

Haha. I was hoping for some indignant responses or something.
My arguments at the time were always multi-faceted with respect to certain things, but primarily came down to what was happening with money at the fest (by which I am not trying to imply anything untoward - in fact, I would find it completely acceptable for organisers of such an event to take some money from it for themselves). This was pretty clear in my e-mails to Jasper I believe.
As I recall, I also informed him that the questions I was raising were a result of my thinking about similar issues in relation to the previous SAIF fests, so in effect my change in attitude could be seen as a result of playing at SAIF in previous years. (That is still only part of the picture though). I do think I apologized for bringing it all up at short notice before the actual event.

The PV issue at the time was greatly exacerbated by the fact that their guitar player had just whacked Skubi round the head with his guitar at a gig in Bohs - people forget this happened at almost exactly the same time we pulled out of the fest. Fair play to PV though, I gather they kicked yer man out pretty much right away. There was still an issue over money though, and other bands as well which were certainly not just in relation to PV.

I also made it very clear both then and since that I had no problem with the organisers, particularly Jasper, simply the way the fest was actually being organised and how this affected everything. It just happens that when you get into it that is really quite a complex issue, particularly considering that most people would never bother thinking about that aspect of it.

The reality is, if people didn't make unwarranted assumptions, listen to distorted stories, not pay attention to what has actually been said instead of what they think they heard, and keep a level head about things, this thread almost certainly wouldn't exist right now. Of course, punks in general are extremely good at making assumptions and jumping on bandwagons as they see fit, as has been shown on countless occasions in the past!

Finally, I suspect this was all Moose's fault, he's always wanted to see me ruined because I am from the North, and he doesn't consider me properly Irish the way people round his parts are...

Finally, I suspect this was all Moose's fault, he's always wanted to see me ruined because I am from the North, and he doesn't consider me properly Irish the way people round his parts are...
bleedin donegal armada babies stirring shit as usual with their semi-fiery semi-latin ways

Considering I'm only two generations out of Belfast you it's hardly my fault. Anyway could you clarify this line for me?

I would find it completely acceptable for organisers of such an event to take some money from it for themselves

Are you saying you believe the organisers set out to make money for themselves or just throwing a hypothetical curve ball?

Just being hypothetical Moose.
The basis is, that if you're organising a gig of that size, where you might spend a mad amount of time working on it and organising everything for it, then if there's some money left over after everything has been covered, it's fair enough if you want to pay yourself then.

In saying that everything should be kept proportional where possible, so one person doesn't end up taking a shitload of money whilst other people get fuck all. This particularly applies to the sort of 'organiser' that organises things by getting everyone else to do everything for them whilst they sit about on their whole and then try and take all the credit for it, and I know a few of those alright.

Too many aging UK punk bands on the bill that no one wanted to see. That was my only gripe with the festival. That & the whole BOW fiasco which happened again
a few months later at another Jasper run stage. Defo the promoters fault & not the band. Sorry Jasper but thats how I feel & how all of OFAC felt too that night
after carrying all our gear through the mud to be told no, times up. FUCK PUNK.

cant-we-all-just-get-a-bong.jpg

Re: GGI Line up

I have full confidence the GGI is a properly independent festival that treats bands as equally as possible.
I didn't have the same confidence about Drumacanoo.
I was proved right by the actions of Blood or Whiskey.
Simple as that really.
drumacanoo was a properly independent festival - it had no backing - corporate or otherwise - at all - the money put up front came from the organisers pockets - the money paid out after to cover losses came from the organisers pockets - bands were treated as equally as possible - obviously bands with more expenses (ie coming from abroad ) get more cash, you talk of bOW now (when I aske dyou why it was now ok for complan to play with PV - BOW are not relevant to my questioning) well I paid em a lot less at drumacanoo than they noramlly get fro a gig, a fraction of theri noraml asking fee. All bands got the same beer allowance per person - how equal is that? (and if they didnt drink beer, then alternatives were available). i doubt that all the bands at GGi are getting equal pay - and why should they_ I reckon its cheaper fro complan to get there from dublin than it is for say mommas slippers from enniskillen, expenses vary. Band swere treated with fairness, and bringing uop BOW is a diversion from the question I aske dyou - how are you now prepare dto play on same bill as PV whgwen you werent before - and it wasnt only a question of equalness as you say here - as you say in late rpost you dont want to play with bands whose DIY ethics are non existent or questionable - of which you put PV and BOW into this catregory - again I ask you what has changed? PV still seem to be the same band they were when they playe dDru=macanoo, why now a change of heart towards playing on the sma ebill as them? and I dont beleive it is about whether the fest is independet ornot.
Hang on Im going to answer the othe rposts here.
and I also dont come to the compute ron regular basis.

Re: GGI Line up

The simplistic answer is that it's not 100% DIY or independent if there is a band playing that doesn't care about that ethos.
The more complex but much more pertinant argument takes in a lot more issues such as how the thing is run, what money is raised, how the money is raised, how the money is distributed, is everyone treated fairly or are some people given special preferance, etc etc etc.
The question of what is actually independent and what isn't is a convulted area that mostly tends to come down to individual definition based on prior experiences.
ok so you say here about 100% diy indepemndt and band sthat dont care about that ethos - you put PV and BOW into this category fro drmacanoo, and made a stand by not playing, so the question I asked was what has changed - are PV still in that category - and if so how come you can compromise the stand made at drumacanoo against bands suchas now when said band is playing same bill at GGi - I want to understand what the difference is - regardless as to whether you considere fests to be independet or not, how come you cna play alongsid ebands you previously said you wouldnt?

Sorry, I was wrong about everything all along.
I'm a big hypocrite and will admit it all. I've just realised, it all makes sense now. Blood or Whiskey were dead right to keep playing.
I blame the whole thing on the Brits myself.
This is more like it, could you also resign from your position as ents sec and bring me your head on a silver platter

Haha. I was hoping for some indignant responses or something.
My arguments at the time were always multi-faceted with respect to certain things, but primarily came down to what was happening with money at the fest (by which I am not trying to imply anything untoward - in fact, I would find it completely acceptable for organisers of such an event to take some money from it for themselves). This was pretty clear in my e-mails to Jasper I believe.
As I recall, I also informed him that the questions I was raising were a result of my thinking about similar issues in relation to the previous SAIF fests, so in effect my change in attitude could be seen as a result of playing at SAIF in previous years. (That is still only part of the picture though). I do think I apologized for bringing it all up at short notice before the actual event.

The PV issue at the time was greatly exacerbated by the fact that their guitar player had just whacked Skubi round the head with his guitar at a gig in Bohs - people forget this happened at almost exactly the same time we pulled out of the fest. Fair play to PV though, I gather they kicked yer man out pretty much right away. There was still an issue over money though, and other bands as well which were certainly not just in relation to PV.

I also made it very clear both then and since that I had no problem with the organisers, particularly Jasper, simply the way the fest was actually being organised and how this affected everything. It just happens that when you get into it that is really quite a complex issue, particularly considering that most people would never bother thinking about that aspect of it.

The reality is, if people didn't make unwarranted assumptions, listen to distorted stories, not pay attention to what has actually been said instead of what they think they heard, and keep a level head about things, this thread almost certainly wouldn't exist right now. Of course, punks in general are extremely good at making assumptions and jumping on bandwagons as they see fit, as has been shown on countless occasions in the past!

right the computer is fuckin me around, i keep losing me replys so gonn akeep it short. yeah the drumacanoo email, yeah you apologise dfro your timing, yeaf good, yeah I know you dont have problem with me or other organisers , nor I with you.
money at fest, well look Pv got more money than complan would have got, whether you like it or not, siome bands are more headliners than others, that is what folk do coem to see, it is the way music seems to owrk, band wise, no? Ok one of the simple reasons I gave Pv more money than say OF&C is that they ahve alot of memebrs, fact that more bodies means more expenses - incidedntly this thinking goes fro bands such a s pocket billiards who have multiple members also. anothe rreason is they asked for it and I said YES., anayeqwas I dont think they got what they wanted in the end. all band memebrs had (and always have had at any fest I been invovled wuith) equal beer allowance - so that is equality for you there, no? If alcohal wa snot wanted, alterantive wa supplied (you got yer water/red bull or whatever it was didnt you).
Idont know what the pay out situation is a t GGi - but I doubt somewhow that los langeros will get the sma epay as complan or mommas slipper s fro examople - more to come got to stop not finished

right the computer is fuckin me around, i keep losing me replys so gonn akeep it short. yeah the drumacanoo email, yeah you apologise dfro your timing, yeaf good, yeah I know you dont have problem with me or other organisers , nor I with you.
money at fest, well look Pv got more money than complan would have got, whether you like it or not, siome bands are more headliners than others, that is what folk do coem to see, it is the way music seems to owrk, band wise, no? Ok one of the simple reasons I gave Pv more money than say OF&C is that they ahve alot of memebrs, fact that more bodies means more expenses - incidedntly this thinking goes fro bands such a s pocket billiards who have multiple members also. anothe rreason is they asked for it and I said YES., anayeqwas I dont think they got what they wanted in the end. all band memebrs had (and always have had at any fest I been invovled wuith) equal beer allowance - so that is equality for you there, no? If alcohal wa snot wanted, alterantive wa supplied (you got yer water/red bull or whatever it was didnt you).
Idont know what the pay out situation is a t GGi - but I doubt somewhow that los langeros will get the sma epay as complan or mommas slipper s fro examople - more to come got to stop not finished
I am not making assumptions or bandwagon jumping, i just want to know/understand why now complan are willing to play on same bill as Pv, when you have previously stated that you wont on principle play with such bands who are not 100%diy/independent, that is my question which you havent answered (apart from to say they kicked out there gtrsit, which they had doen by drumacanoo), I just wanted to know why the change of heart, why is int now acceptable to play with bands that previously you wouldnt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back