Lair of the Minotaur (1 Viewer)

Dktr. Faustus

A track from new album out in april. And couple of older ones too http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=109074

Emerging from the caustic burrows of Chicago comes the monolith of metal called Lair of the Minotaur. Formed by Steven Rathbone in the spring of 2003 on the heels of his prior band 7000 Dying Rats, he enlisted Donald James Barraca (also from 7000 Dying Rats) on bass and longtime friend Larry Herweg (Pelican) on drums. With the line-up set, LOTM recorded their self-produced six-song debut EP in 2003, which eventually found it’s way over to the Southern Lord lair.
The impact was immediate and the deal was done, LOTM became the newest edition to Southern Lord’s goat farm!
This self-released EP+ 2 additional songs are the album: "CARNAGE". Which will be unleashed on Southern Lord in September! (On CD and Limited Edition, hand #'d (edition of 666) , silk screened covers...vinyl)
Lair of the Minotaur conjure up the ole' black magic of elder gods: Slayer, Celtic Frost, Venom along with the relentless aggression of: High On Fire.
Southern Lord goat master: Greg Anderson had this to say: "It seems as time goes on and this goat gets older and more jaded, most music coming out these days really fucking sucks. I was really fucking blown away and surprised when I heard these guys. Then seeing them live was even more killer.
LOTM prove: You CAN teach a old goat new tricks."

Theres a few downloads on the southernlord site aswell.
Such a hit and miss label though....

brian.html said:
Theres a few downloads on the southernlord site aswell.
Such a hit and miss label though....
Agreed, whats the story with all the black metal stuff lately
Then again they did release the amazing warhorse - as Heaven Turns to Ash album probably their best release

Southern Lord Also re-issued Goasnake I & Dogdays. When they gonna do Flower of Disease??? Anderson better get his fat chubby digits out and get on the ball and stop fartin around with O'Malley And then get working on getting that Piece Dogs album re-issued and all the Scot Reagers Era St. Vitus stuffs

Lair of the Minotaur is good. Wha's the new EP Loike?

Brush said:
Lair of the Minotaur is good. Wha's the new EP Loike?
well it's only two tracks, heavy sound, sludgy and great. B-side starts with some electronica (well...kinda) and then rips the hell open. A side is just a fantastic metal track. Looks like the album is gonna be really good

Hold on, what year is it again?

___
Southern Lord Urrrr said:
Goatsnake
After a lengthy hiatus the Snake will finally slither once again. In August the Lord will be releasing an EP of new material from Goatsnake: Trampled Under Hoof. TUH features three brand new unreleased songs with Scott Reeder (Kyuss, Obsessed) on bass. Rounding out the EP are two rare cover songs by Saint Vitus and Black Oak Arkansas. The album will be released on CD and LP/vinyl in August. In September we will also be re-releasing the debut album from Goatsnake:1 along with Dog Days EP on one CD. Extensive liner notes, photos, killer packaging and bonus tracks will make this an essential collection.

Nah Goatsnake is gone pretty much which sucks because they are hands down the best band ever on and probably that ever will be on Southern Lord.

Greg Anderson gave an interview recently pretty much stating he was way more into what Sunn are doing.

Hi Brush,

Did you ever hear engine kid,Andersons slint esque band?

Guess most of the black metal is more O Malleys buzz Leo.

really lookin forward to new lair of the minotaur stuff,carnage fucking carnage was amazing.
as for southern lord and black metal...they release pretty boring bm,pity since they probably know better.mord are fucking great though.

Bah, bah, bah.

When I logged on to this thread i thought i was entering a deep discussion about Greek mythology.

I've been reading about the minotaur all week and was prepared to name drop greek heroes like no bodies business.

brian.html said:
Greg Anderson gave an interview recently pretty much stating he was way more into what Sunn are doing.
Yeah I suppose you can be stoned out of your fucking mind and still strum yer guitar every 10 minutes with Sunn as opposed to Goatsnake
How that music got from its sub-niche audience to being 'cool' Ill never know. Nobody gave a shit when Earth were doing it in the early 90's, yet the lads throw on 2 bath robes and get a few smoke machines and viola they're the bomb

error type 11 said:
Yeah I suppose you can be stoned out of your fucking mind and still strum yer guitar every 10 minutes with Sunn as opposed to Goatsnake
How that music got from its sub-niche audience to being 'cool' Ill never know. Nobody gave a shit when Earth were doing it in the early 90's, yet the lads throw on 2 bath robes and get a few smoke machines and viola they're the bomb
if it hadnt have become so popular i dont think khanate or sunn would have ever bothered to come over,dont think its that bad a thing.plus its not like sunn hadnt been going a while before that label got huge about 2 or so years ago.see yr point though

rotten tropics said:
if it hadnt have become so popular i dont think khanate or sunn would have ever bothered to come over,dont think its that bad a thing.plus its not like sunn hadnt been going a while before that label got huge about 2 or so years ago.see yr point though
I think where Southern Lord got lucky was getting the release of the Probot album. That was quite a lucrative score for such a small label. I listened to the 1st 2 Sunn releases before they had anything out on Southern Lord well before any of the palava started about them a couple of years back and people would be looking at me like I had 4 heads if I played 00 Void to them in 2001

I think its good that Sunn o))) are so popular because the thing is its pretty fuckin weird music and for it to get that level of recognition is somewhat amazing. I'd much rather have Sunn being the flavour of the month than some boring indie wank band.

As for the Black Metal thing. Thats an O'Malley buzz. Remember reading an interview with them were Anderson just kinda said he wasnt really into BM much but recently (last few years) O'Malley turned him onto it.

error type 11 said:
Lots of people gave a shit about Earth. Just not as many as do about Sunn. Sunn have gotten better with each album. Earth peaked early and got progressively worse. Even less people listened to Candlemass in 1986 and they invented wearing robes.

I would hardly say Earth got worse. They just sort of moved away from the Earth 2 vibe. I think Hex is proof that they are still good.

I wish Khanate had of stayed at home personally.
They certainly performed like that was where they would rather be.

Southern Lord-most stuff I think is nowt to get excited about but then after Goatsnake I think Mondo Generator is their best band so go figure.

The Hidden Hand are pretty decent actually but I only heard the first record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back