Juggling Juggulars coming in April (1 Viewer)

It's my Birthday on the 12th and I will be celebrating by going on the session at this gig. Yeah

It bein me brithday today I'll try and stridge it out until Saturday :p

BUT SERIOUSLY, a tenner for a gig is fuck all. It's so fucking dumb the prices of gigs always staying the same when costs of petrol, drink, food and everything else go up & up. I reckon people will pay it. Sure think about it, you have 3 or 4 pints with Boh's prices that's already 3 or 4 euro cheaper than the Lower Deck -bargain. I'm no fan at all of Juggling Jugulars but I'd still go for the locals bands and the craic.

somethign interestign i've noticed is that the price of zines has gone up in recent years in line with the rising cost of things - most zines i've bought lately have been 2 - 4 euro range, wheras they used to be more the 50 cent to a euro etc. not sure was thisa conscious move by zine makers or what?

funnily enough we were practicing last night in a spot with loads of old gig posters on the wall etc and I noticed that gigs in the Temple back around 2000/1 were IR£5 - so the price of gigs has plummeted in real terms. I won't pass comment on the idea of €10 being too much to ask as I am (thankfully) not skint like I was back in the day. Surely a DIY gig is a DIY gig and you can expect the price to reflect the costs/overheads involved? No matter what you charge you always get someone haggling for a discount anyway (which is REALLY fuckin' annoying)

yeah gigs did for from £5 to the slightly less €6 and have pretty much stayed that way ever since.

I'm wondering why the price of gigs is being tacked to the dole rather than the minimum wage, lol. :p

somethign interestign i've noticed is that the price of zines has gone up in recent years in line with the rising cost of things - most zines i've bought lately have been 2 - 4 euro range, wheras they used to be more the 50 cent to a euro etc. not sure was thisa conscious move by zine makers or what?

pretty much zine prices in ireland (well dublin anyway) are controlled by one thing...fucking read's of nassau street! They put up their prices about a year ago by 1c per page, mightn't seem like much but if you look at the size of some of the most recent issues of zines such as loserdom, 1c per page makes a huge difference. Fuckin Read's argh! Luckily I now go to the one in the sandyford industrial estate where there is fuck all people and the staff and manager are actually quite sound and willing to cut deals with you, such as gettin 100gsm paper instead of 80gsm for no extra charge...shit I'm boring myself..sorry:rolleyes:

A tenner to see me is a fucking bargain.Throw me another couple of euro and ye can see me mickey aswell.

Firstly its not meant to be a bargain, its meant to be a representation of the costs invovled of a gig in a small venue of a band who are specifically coming to ireland from a far away country with associated travel costs, the travel etc expenses of 3 other bands, the costs of hiring a pa, the costs of food etc for the band, posters, phone calls etc etc.

this is a non profit gig which a lot of unpaid work is going into with the intention of doing sometthing positive.

gigs work on a free choice basis, if you dont want to go dont want to go then dont, hopefully enough people will to pay the bills

OFAC & Captain Spaulding supported.

It cost 350 euro to rent Roisin Dubh, 40 euro for food, 40 euro for posters, thats not including MDC's garauntee. It was 10 quid in.

I just think 10 euro is a lot of money for an unknown band in bohs bar.

if you think its too much dont go, if it really upsets you or you think im ripping people off in doing this gig or somehow undermining "the scene" then please come along and leaflet the gig - you'd be more than welcome, i'll put you on the guest list even.

Gigs are underpriced.....compared to years ago and other music genres.
For this particular gig minus the Excuses I'd say €8 woulda silenced the beardy ones.
As someone said earlier the drink is very cheap and it's on the Northside of the city!

I like the tag no money or dole!
Listen kid Tesco's are opening stores and hiring, left right n centre, they pay almost the entry fee of this gig alone in one measly hour!

Flip side of the coin is we have so many gigs these days and to keep attendances up the price does help if its the €5-6 mark.

I should head the UN.

I don't see why you'd complain about 10 euro for a gig with a touring band.
Sure enough a lot of people are on the dole and fairly skint but the cost of the gig is only slightly more than what a bottle of buckie costs these days or equal to just over two pints from most pubs.
And compared to 6/7 euro gigs with no touring bands it's only 3/4 euro more!! you could nearly pick that off the ground these days.

I'm nearly always skint and might get a little annoyed if gigs are expensive but all it means is that i have to suffer drinking 1 or 2 pint's less in sacrifice of seeing some deadly bands and having some mad craic..|..|

And I doubt that bohspunks is getting any money out of it so fair fucks to him for organising it.

I don't mind paying a tenner into a gig, I really don't see what the problem is. Won't be drinking as many pints but that doesn't really matter.

I don't see why you'd complain about 10 euro for a gig with a touring band.

I don't think its the €10 that is being argued about. Its just that most other DIY touring band gigs across the country are €5-€7 compared to this one. A lot of these bands are quiet well known/established and the line ups are usually very strong with class Irish bands on the bill. But seen that Conor is bringing Juggling Juggulars over for only one gig he obviously wants to cover their flights etc. Conor... are you gonna be bringing more bands over for just one gig?

jesus people are fuckin cheap, sorry but how many people here who are complaining about the price buy 20 smokes a day, or a couple of six packs a week, go to the pub and buy a rake of pints, get a takeaway or get fuckin taxis all the time? Its 10 fuckin euro, if you can't afford it maybe talk to conor/offer to do the door/shift gear whatever to get a quid or two off.

Its a DIY gig for christsakes, maybe there needs to be more gigs around the 9/10 euro price so people won't be so freaked out about trying to charge that much for a touring band, keeping the price too low and ending out of pocket themselves or even worse not bothering to put a band on at all because of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back