Is there an 'Everton thread everyone loves them' thread? (3 Viewers)

Are you surprised now?
Not really.

Everything I flagged up before the game came true. Liverpool vs the walking wounded. So NO I'm not surprised.

Now lets be honest here as an Everton supporter first and a football lunatic joint first.

Lets get this out of the way.

Most importantly and it fucking hurts more than the result to say it. We deserve a points deduction for throwing coins at Suarez again. Nothing disgusted me from tonight than that. It's stupid it's dangerous and it's worse than throwing bananas at John Barnes. If we get 20 points off I say fair play. I mean that. I've put up with a lot but that was just fucking horrible.

Pienaar, Barkley and Jags aren't fit.

Stones isn't ready for this level yet.

Alcaraz isn't up to it injury or no.

As soon as Lukaku came off and Naismith came on we were toothless.

But that's where we are as a club. No money and a retarded selling policy. Some Everton supporters talk about the CL. We aren't even close to that level.

Tonight was in one way an aberration, and in another more telling way a perfect example of what's wrong with our club. No strength in depth, and no buying power.

Martinez played his football and we suffered it's 3 points lost but it's been a case this season where we've played like Wigan going forward and defended like us at the back. Tonight showed that we we're two steps away from being Wigan all over. We missed Coleman and Distin massively.

Now as a football supporter, Liverpool were not 4 goals better than us. 3 of the goals and the penalty were absolute gifts. We controlled possession throughout and the fact is that we never got beyond the last man, not fucking once was down to what we don't have more than what Liverpool do. Liverpool just have better strikers but in midfield we could waltz through in a way that Man City or Chelski will do better than our impotent display proved. We got fuck all from the ref, but you expect that (not an excuse). Gerrard is still not that great, but Suarez and Sturrige really are. And I mean that. They are two gems.

I'll take it on the chin, we were pooooooooooooor. Anfield has a hoodoo over us for some reason and fair enough we deserved to lose. 4-0 was flattering.

Still as principals go I'm happier with 4-0 than I was with Moyeses 0-0 results. I know that sounds mental but we didn't hoof it at Fellani so we're going in the right direction.

Like I said this was coming. Fair play to Liverpool they were the better team. They have some really good players and I'd rather them than Man U getting the 4th CL spot.

Meanwhile we should have to fight our way to 40 points again if there's any justice and focus on the cup.

Fuck it I would be more disappointed but I knew this was on the cards.

No, Liverpool were 5 or 6 goals better. They should have won by more. A blind man could see that.
Really though ? We had 60 odd % possession and gifted you 3 goals and a penalty trough pure niave defending. Fair enough

Putting our allieginces aside, that was a half strength side playing away with a patched up defence. I gave up on on being partizan after half time and to be honest I don't see it. We weren't as bad as the result suggests, errors aside of course, and you weren't as good. I'm just calling it as I see it here.

I'm talking about Liverpool as a threat to Chelski, Man City and Arsenal rather than our sorry arses. We were poor no doubt and deserved a defeat but do you really think that performance was as good as City or Chelski ?

Really ?

Liverpool were not 4 goals better than us. 3 of the goals and the penalty were absolute gifts. We controlled possession throughout and the fact is that we never got beyond the last man, not fucking once was down to what we don't have more than what Liverpool do.

...Really though ? We had 60 odd % possession and gifted you 3 goals and a penalty trough pure niave defending. Fair enough

Well, you could look at the stats and the fact that much of the play was in the Liverpool half and think, "Everton were the better team but couldn't find the cutting edge" and that they must have just defended poorly.

Alternatively, you could look at it and realise that Rodgers completely out-thought Martinez. It was a plan B for the event that Allen wasn't going to be fit. Start quickly, press high up the pitch, score the first goal, then sit back, draw them in and hit on the break.

After Gerrard's goal LFC only started to press the ball on the halfway line. Everton had the ball but they couldn't do a thing with it, and there were fucking acres of space to run into for Sturridge, Sterling and Suarez. If you only had Gerrard as a holding midfielder and Skrtl and Toure as your centre backs, you'd have to be mad to think about leaving gaps at the back, so it wasn't surprising in itself. I'm pretty sure Martinez said this after the game too. Was quite surprised he didn't react to it.

So in terms of the better team, I'd say the one that plays to their strengths while completely nullifying their opponents' strength is better than the one who kicked the ball a bit more.
Well done BR. Takes an Irishman.

Well, you could look at the stats and the fact that much of the play was in the Liverpool half and think, "Everton were the better team but couldn't find the cutting edge" and that they must have just defended poorly.

Alternatively, you could look at it and realise that Rodgers completely out-thought Martinez. It was a plan B for the event that Allen wasn't going to be fit. Start quickly, press high up the pitch, score the first goal, then sit back, draw them in and hit on the break.

After Gerrard's goal LFC only started to press the ball on the halfway line. Everton had the ball but they couldn't do a thing with it, and there were fucking acres of space to run into for Sturridge, Sterling and Suarez. If you only had Gerrard as a holding midfielder and Skrtl and Toure as your centre backs, you'd have to be mad to think about leaving gaps at the back, so it wasn't surprising in itself. I'm pretty sure Martinez said this after the game too. Was quite surprised he didn't react to it.

So in terms of the better team, I'd say the one that plays to their strengths while completely nullifying their opponents' strength is better than the one who kicked the ball a bit more.
Well done BR. Takes an Irishman.

Firstly I didn't say we were the better team I said 4-0 was flattering.

I do agree with what you're saying but like I said after Lukaku went off we had no where to go with the ball because Naismith is a complete fucking donkey and we sold Jelavic like a bunch of cunts.

The way i look at it we made it very easy to score and Liverpool have players who can do that. Don't get me wrong Liverpool played well but if they'd played that well against a decent team it wouldn't have been 4-0.

Anyway it's a moot point and fair play to BR he set out with a decent plan and it's one other teams should take note of but hopefully when we've got fit players and a full strength defence and we cancel Naismith and Alcaraz's contracts we should be okay.

This is why being an Everton supporter is so fucking hard.

Started the season with 4 strikers,

Kone injured for the season.

What do we do ?

Sell Anichebe and Jelavic in the transfer window.

and then bring in a lad who's crocked.

So when our one remaining striker picks up a knock we have to rely on.......

Stephen fucking Naismith.

Fucking face fucking palm.

Shit weekend for me all round.

Athletico were shite and Sevilla missed about 4 sitters against Barca.

Still in the FA cup though. At least there's that.

Obviously I was hoping for a draw yesterday but having watched the first hour of the game I thought Everton were so much the better team that I wanted them to win it. You're right, if they'd had a half-decent striker they'd have been well ahead by half-time. Martinez is a great manager for setting up effectively with the players at his disposal and they had about 70% of the ball in stretches - and not because Spurs weren't trying to get it off them.

I strongly dislike this Spurs team, particularly Tim Sherwood and Levy, and it's pretty galling that they actually got away with it yesterday given how utterly clueless they looked. He had Dembele playing ahead of Paulinho, he had no one tracking Osman's runs. He chucked on Townsend for Eriksen (which sort of says it all, symbolically), Eriksen who was stuck out on the left for some reason, and it turned out that Townsend didn't actually know which wing he was meant to play when he first came on.

Adebayor is a grade-A wanker but he can get a goal or two if he has a sniff. I suppose he prefers managers who tell him to "go and run around a bit" rather than have to play to a particular plan. This shit should not go unpunished though. I think their results against Arsenal and City are probably indicative of their true level but football's capacity for rewarding shiteness in the short term does have me a bit concerned - but not that much.

Obviously I was hoping for a draw yesterday but having watched the first hour of the game I thought Everton were so much the better team that I wanted them to win it. You're right, if they'd had a half-decent striker they'd have been well ahead by half-time. Martinez is a great manager for setting up effectively with the players at his disposal and they had about 70% of the ball in stretches - and not because Spurs weren't trying to get it off them.

I strongly dislike this Spurs team, particularly Tim Sherwood and Levy, and it's pretty galling that they actually got away with it yesterday given how utterly clueless they looked. He had Dembele playing ahead of Paulinho, he had no one tracking Osman's runs. He chucked on Townsend for Eriksen (which sort of says it all, symbolically), Eriksen who was stuck out on the left for some reason, and it turned out that Townsend didn't actually know which wing he was meant to play when he first came on.

Adebayor is a grade-A wanker but he can get a goal or two if he has a sniff. I suppose he prefers managers who tell him to "go and run around a bit" rather than have to play to a particular plan. This shit should not go unpunished though. I think their results against Arsenal and City are probably indicative of their true level but football's capacity for rewarding shiteness in the short term does have me a bit concerned - but not that much.

Since we started looking for a buyer for Jelavic that's been us all over. Lukaku when he was there played in fits and starts knowing he was never going to be dropped/substituted and looking very leggy and tired in some matches.

This was a defeat for our financial policy rather than Martinez and obviously it puts us way behind in terms of getting fourth place.

I can't see Spurs being a threat to you lot though. Next season perhaps, but Rodgers has you lot streets ahead of them and even a marginal distance ahead of our best XI (that's a big grudging compliment there by the way). I actually think Arsenal might drop a few points and Liverpool could get 3rd. Really looking forward to seeing how City get on on Merseyside in the next few months. It's a weird one. Liverpool may not win the title, we definitely won't but, we could end up deciding who does.

Anyway, y'all must be grinning like cheshire cats this morning. Fair play.

I just can't see Spurs under Tim as a threat full stop. The first two games he played against decent sides (Arsenal and City) they were totally dominated, and in the third, yesterday they should have lost handily but got a suckerpunch in.

Osman is a handy footballer but he's hardly the Mersyside Iniesta and it was amazing the amount of space he was able to find in the first half.

Great result for the pool, seeing as spurs have a big world of pain coming. They're awful.

I wonder is Martinez a 10-month season man. So far he's been good for 4 or 5 months.

Great result for the pool, seeing as spurs have a big world of pain coming. They're awful.

I wonder is Martinez a 10-month season man. So far he's been good for 4 or 5 months.
Everton aren't a 10 month team, we usually don't start playing til December then get stronger as our crocked players return. This season has just been happening in reverse.

Martinez should focus on retaining the FA Cup now. Get a trophy, secure a Europa League place and try to persuade Barry to stay.

bit of the GAA about the first
read about the second in the guardian MBM, good to see it. some player

I'd say he'd have loved to have caught it, soloed a bit more, hit some pathetic Arsenal cunt a shoulder and then dropped a ball into Lukaku so he could make a show of Vermaelen and lash it home for 3 points.

I never thought I could love an Irish player as much as I did Duffer. Then Seamus came along. I feel whole again.

All the talk about the CL this week, to be realistic we do have some players who are CL standard, Barkley, Miralles, Coleman, Distin, Jags and Baines but we're not quite there yet. We're plying with a swagger but something still feels a bit missing from us as a whole. McCarthy, Naismith have improved massively We still don't have the strength in depth, some of our major assets are other clubs players and while we'd be a match for anyone with our first XI at Goodison I can't imagine us going to Dortmund or Napoli or Porto or Ajax and getting a result and that really has to be the minimum level of expectation in the CL. If we spend the prize money securing Lukaku and Barry that's something for the long term future and the very very short term. Deulafeu doesn't want to stay and now can't due to Barca's transfer cheating ban.

It's an odd one. I feel like all of this is coming a bit too soon for us. I mean don't get me wrong I'll be over the fucking moon if we qualify but I wouldn't be hugely surprised if we end up in the Europa League by January.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back