Ireland v Erdogan, Mussollini and Salazar (3 Viewers)

Only got to see highlights, it seems like we played some neat enough football and merited at least a draw but couldn't put away the chances and were a bit sloppy at the back. O'Neill has to stick to the more constructive style, it'll take more than a handful of games to transition after 6 years of Trap. Could be 5 defeats in a row by the end of these fixtures, given the standard of opposition lined up, but hopefully it'll be worth it come September.

Dunno what to make of the new kit, looks a bit like an Ireland rugby jersey from the early 90s with the shade of blue-green they've picked and the big white collar. Are the green shorts a permanent thing now?

Only got to see highlights, it seems like we played some neat enough football and merited at least a draw but couldn't put away the chances and were a bit sloppy at the back. O'Neill has to stick to the more constructive style, it'll take more than a handful of games to transition after 6 years of Trap. Could be 5 defeats in a row by the end of these fixtures, given the standard of opposition lined up, but hopefully it'll be worth it come September.
That's a fair assessment. We were unfocused at the back and had no cutting edge up front (Long will be very disappointed), but Hoolahan, McGeady and Coleman were at the centre of efforts to actually play the ball on the ground and through the middle. The next few games should be interesting to see if we can progress.
McClean played like a headless chicken, kept cutting in and left massive holes behind him and I'd be worried that he's not going to be any use. But the one mystery for me is why MON is persevering with Whelan.

That's a fair assessment. We were unfocused at the back and had no cutting edge up front (Long will be very disappointed), but Hoolahan, McGeady and Coleman were at the centre of efforts to actually play the ball on the ground and through the middle. The next few games should be interesting to see if we can progress.
McClean played like a headless chicken, kept cutting in and left massive holes behind him and I'd be worried that he's not going to be any use. But the one mystery for me is why MON is persevering with Whelan.
No cover I suppose. Gibbo is crocked and no one else really fits the bill of a holding midfielder. To be fair to Whelan he has been very neat and tidy for Stoke since Hughes arrived.

What the fuck ? Why ?

I love the German black shorts white shirts combo. Brazil just won't look right in yellow shorts and Argentina and Croatia are going to look like fucking deck chairs.

It's to do with HDTV apparently. Germany and England are in all white I think. Brazil have thankfully told them to get stuffed.

I was at this game.
We were fucking bollocks. That was a bunch of Turkish players that had about 5 caps between them that beat us 2-1. About 3/4 of their team had played fuck all international games before.

Shite players - O'Shea, Delaney, WHELAN, McClean, Long

Okay players - Coleman, Hoolahan, Wilson, McGeady, Ward, the keeper

Good players - Walters when he came on

Our passing was shite and our tackling was shite. We couldn't hold on to the ball for shit. Our positional awareness was non-existent - that's where their second goal came from, total stupidity.
Turkey are a half-decent team that play some nice passing stuff and most importantly move from one area of the pitch to another as a team. This is the big thing here.
We on the other hand love to hoof the ball all over the place, and instead of our players supporting each other as a team and using different parts of the pitch, we have a bunch of lads who sit in one spot for pretty much the whole game, so that any time we try and get forward, anyone that actually manages to receive a pass gets totally isolated by three players from the other team that are actually using the pitch properly. It's totally basic stuff, and it's down to a complete lack of mobility from the midfield, which is basically down to fucking Whelan being completely shite.
We need to get the fuck rid of Whelan, even Marc Wilson would do better in there than him.

I was at this game.
We were fucking bollocks. That was a bunch of Turkish players that had about 5 caps between them that beat us 2-1. About 3/4 of their team had played fuck all international games before.

Shite players - O'Shea, Delaney, WHELAN, McClean, Long

Okay players - Coleman, Hoolahan, Wilson, McGeady, Ward, the keeper

Good players - Walters when he came on

Our passing was shite and our tackling was shite. We couldn't hold on to the ball for shit. Our positional awareness was non-existent - that's where their second goal came from, total stupidity.
Turkey are a half-decent team that play some nice passing stuff and most importantly move from one area of the pitch to another as a team. This is the big thing here.
We on the other hand love to hoof the ball all over the place, and instead of our players supporting each other as a team and using different parts of the pitch, we have a bunch of lads who sit in one spot for pretty much the whole game, so that any time we try and get forward, anyone that actually manages to receive a pass gets totally isolated by three players from the other team that are actually using the pitch properly. It's totally basic stuff, and it's down to a complete lack of mobility from the midfield, which is basically down to fucking Whelan being completely shite.
We need to get the fuck rid of Whelan, even Marc Wilson would do better in there than him.
Looked okay on the highlights but yeah it's completely different when you're at it. Hopefully heading to the Italy game next week I'll report back. You're right of course Whelan is a lump.

The game was pretty shit like, but at the same time it's a friendly so whaddya expect. Still, this 'system' football of strict zonal-type positions will lead to nothing but lots of hammerings from teams that use their fucking brains.

The fact is, at the moment, that fuck all has changed from Trappitoni. Sure, we have a better chance of selecting a few players that can actually play a bit of football, rather than just run around the pitch kicking the other team, but it's still basically the same kind of football we are playing - defensive, terrified, no-movement, shit.

In fairness, you can't extrapolate anything from an end of season game with nothing to play for. Lads are on the beach. Or back in the fish factory.

In fairness, you can't extrapolate anything from an end of season game with nothing to play for. Lads are on the beach. Or back in the fish factory.

Yeah, but it's still acceptable to point out that Glenn Whelan is SHITE and also, regardless of how much effort they put in, you can see the shape of the team and how they are trying to organise, and ours isn't good!

Yeah, but it's still acceptable to point out that Glenn Whelan is SHITE and also, regardless of how much effort they put in, you can see the shape of the team and how they are trying to organise, and ours isn't good!
You hardly need an entire 90 minutes of football to come to that conclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back