I need a book recommendation.. (2 Viewers)

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier. I was never really bothered about reading her, but my God, I was hooked from the opening line (They [SIZE=-1]used to hang men at Four Turnings in the old days. Not any more though). Confederacy of Dunces is well worth a read too. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro also had me hooked (I didn't know anything about it when I picked it up though, might not be as interesting if you know the basic plot). Any of David Mitchell's books. Vida Vendela's And Now You Can Go.
[/SIZE]

Some of my faves that I recommend to people. Usually they like 'em.

Woody Allen - Complete Prose. Wear a nappy, you'll piss your pants laughing.

Just ordered this from Amazon.
In all the years that I've enjoyed his movies, it never occurred to me that fucker might have written books too!

russell hoban: riddley walker
twiggs jameson: billy and betty
flann o brien: the third policeman
john kennedy toole: a confederacy of dunces
anthony burgess: a clockwork orange

Shantaram. unputdownable.

have recommended it to a load of people. they all gave me their first born in return for the tip.

aha! I was about to recommend that too!

would you call your first born shantaram? cos that would mean it really made an impression on you :p

i think for the schnapper given his interest in SE asia, you should read this book, written by the father of a girl i went to school with here in HK. he was a journalist who worked in the region back then and has some interesting stories abotu teh area and its people.

413H4XWZ9JL._AA240_.jpg

I need a three book+ science/fantasy fiction saga of unparelled brilliance for me holidays.

maybe Brian Aldiss's Heliconia trilogy then? I only read the first one, it was good but not as good as his other books. why not just bring three regular Brian Aldiss novels instead? i'd recommend The Malacia Tapestry, Frankenstein Unbound and, if you wanted a third sci-fi type one then Greybeard is good or Somewhere East of Life or Rememberance Day for more regular type fiction.

oh - another brian aldiss trilogy - The Horatio Stubbs Saga - its three books about this lad and his sexual adventures at home with his brother and sister, and then his sexual adventures in boarding school and then his sexual adventures in the far east during world war 2. it is very amusing.

Just ordered this from Amazon.
In all the years that I've enjoyed his movies, it never occurred to me that fucker might have written books too!

While I love most of his movies (well, up to Manhattan Murder Mystery), I think his books far outshine them. When you get it, skip straight to "The Kugelmass Episode". Dazzlingly smart and funny. And the best thing is that they only get better every time you read them.

I need a three book+ science/fantasy fiction saga of unparelled brilliance for me holidays.

I would recommend the Rama series by Arthur C. Clarke. The first book was written in 1972 so it has more of an old school flavour to it. The next 3 were co-written with Gentry Lee more recently (from 1990 onwards or thereabout) and are more modern in style. Its pretty cool stuff and gets fairly epic in the later books, although i'll be the first to admit that it's not going to win any best prose awards. But the sci-fi itself is class.

Rendezvous with Rama
Rama II
The garden of Rama
Rama revealed

more info here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendezvous_with_Rama

I second the Vonnegut tip.

I also just finished Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried. We read stories from it in high school, and I never forgot them. Only picked up the book recently, and now I know why those stories never left me. It's in my top ten, and I want to read it again and again. Fantastic language and narrative voice, and great stories, and one of the most humane books I've ever read that wasn't written by Kurt Vonnegut. You'll never think about war in the same way again.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back