Hows about Recording the Gig on Saturday? (1 Viewer)

The Evangelists

Website
www.theevangelists.tk
Hey, would it be possible for anyone to record the gig on Saturday?

And by recording, I mean hook a mini-disc recorder to the desk and press record.

Does anyone know who does the sound in there and what wires you'd need to hook the MD-recorder to the desk with??

Unless you are taking EVERY channel on the desk separately into a multi-track recorder, this is a waste of time and will sound shit - the sound engineer will be mixing based on what he can hear in the room, so a desk mix will be very heavy on quiet stuff that's only being amplified by the PA (vocals) and very light on stuff that's being amplified on the stage (guitars, bass)
You'd be better off renting a good stereo mic and doing an ambient recording from right beside the sound desk

Well I've seen it done before in The Nerve Centre. Just take a Left-Right output from the desk.

It doesn't have to sound great or anything. And in years to come your granchidren can visit my grave to thank me.

PS: Anyone know where I can get a cheap pair of boxers? Actually...no, don't bother. I've decided to join the ever-growing league of Go-Commandoes.

In the Village, they have every adapter necessary to record the gig. Just show up with a minidisc recorder and blank minidiscs and away ya go. Our album launch turned out nice and dandy, a few of the tunes being of releaseable quality in my humble opinion.

What egg said...
A minidisc and a decent stereo mic should do the trick - it'd be more reliable than taking it outta the desk, more often than not. I know Fergus from Wormholes has a decent one ; hence their live CD.

Here. I'll be up on the balcony bit doing the Visuals...
I have a posh stereo mike...
If anyone would like to donate a minidisc recorder I'd be happy to press the buttons...
Up there would rid the recording of any unwanted chit-chat and pint clinking by the sound desk...

lerrus know

Originally posted by Unclealo
In the Village, they have every adapter necessary to record the gig. Just show up with a minidisc recorder and blank minidiscs and away ya go. Our album launch turned out nice and dandy, a few of the tunes being of releasable quality in my humble opinion.

Er.. This is off the desk. Is this not preferable to stereo mike recordings?

Originally posted by Unclealo
Er.. This is off the desk. Is this not preferable to stereo mike recordings?

Not usually. I'm amazed that your recordings came out as well as you say - in a venue there's sound pouring off stage from amps and drums, to which the engineer add vocals, keyboards/whatever and some reinforcement of drums and amps. A desk mix is missing the sound that's coming from the stage and so usually, especially in a small venue, it sounds wack
An ambient mic will record what people in the venue can actually hear - the sound coming from the PA and stage combined. Recording close to the sound man is a good idea because that's where the sound will be best

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back