How present are female musicians in the line-up at the Camden Crawl 2013? (4 Viewers)

Hi Jill, thanks for your input.
I did not insinuate the any female musicians that played were tokens. Personally, I feel the opposite - if the numbers are stacked against female musicians, they are less likely to get booked etc. So the ones that did make it on stage must have something special.
Sexism didn't start existing with me naming it. Naming and acknowledging sexism I have experienced has been hugely empowering for me, both in life and as a musician.
I don't really believe in "the music scene" either, because there is no monolithic music scene, but different scenes.

It's done it's over. There are 2 "alternative" acts which have formed in the past 5-10 years playing at the O2 between now and the end of the year, The XX and The National. It's just not got the commercial pulling power it once had. Simple.

In the past year you also had, two door cinema club, sigur ros, bon iver, Black keys. Look at the bands playing the festivals here, pretty sure some have played the o2 not so long ago i.e. Vampire Weekend, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Phoenix, Villagers (?), Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Primal Scream.

In the past year you also had, two door cinema club, sigur ros, bon iver, Black keys. Look at the bands playing the festivals here, pretty sure some have played the o2 not so long ago i.e. Vampire Weekend, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Phoenix, Villagers (?), Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Primal Scream.
Sigur Ros are hardly new I saw them in the Temple Theatre over 10 years ago. Primal Scream have been around since the early 80s

And none of those bands headlined those festivals. They were headlined by Bjork and The Who and The Cure.

Up until the early part of this century the average time between making it "big" and headlining a big festival was between 2-5 Years. Now that figure has tripled. I.e Oasis made it big in 1994-5 headlining acts at big summer shows and festivals from 96 onwards, same with Blur Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, the list goes on.

Now headliners are in the game 15 years before they reach that level. That's how long it takes to have enough of an audience to for the promoter to see them as a safe bet

Face it there aren't the same amount of alternative acts with the same commercial clout as 15-20 years ago.

Remember having to get up at the crack of dawn to either auto-dial ticketmaster or queue for hours to get a ticket to a gig in the point that sold out in 15 minutes ? An alternative band now that sells 8,500 tickets in 15 minutes ? C'mon ?

invalid.jpg

Hi everyone!
I'm not going to comment on everything written here, because it's not my responsibility to educate you all.

IFF, a person who has transitioned to their gender identity as a man is wholly male. I didn't write cis-men, but "men". I think it's safe to assume these includes trans-men. However trans* visibility is also important. In terms of the article you read, and your question, I tried to not make the decision based on appearances, but rather look at the choice of pro-noun. Self-definition being the key. Of course, language is limited, however there is the possibility of using the pro-noun "they" in reference to a person who doesn't want to use either "she" or "he". I didn't find any musicians at this event that I could identify as out trans* or inter* gender musicians.

thank you for the reply :)

this is really a moot point as your research has brought up no transguys in the camden crawl lineup but i do wonder if for a transgirl would a transguy be a musical role model for a transgirls (to use the wording in the opening post) but it's irrelevant to this topic as there were no transguys and transgirls playing at camden crawl. it's not a question I can answer but it's a random thought.

i was going to make the point of other venues, one were people would ask to play rather than be selected by promoters and look at the spirit store (as it's the closest to me) but i see the next 3 live music acts are una palliser, julie feeney and ruth moody which would help the percentage of females in upcoming acts playing there.

Do you think that guys (not all of them obviously, but a good few) are less likely to go to a festival if there are lots of women playing or that festival promotors are less likely to book female acts because guys might be less interested in going? Is there evidence for this or does it just seem likely given the numbers of ladies on festival/gig line ups? Yer one in the wire say this is/could be the reason behind it.

Shaney; there might be something in that. I read once that sales of Uncut and Mojo magazines fall dramatically for editions with female musicians/ bands on the cover. Hence, they rarely appear. Music mags are predominantly bought by lads.

I find this odd. The reason I haven't bought Uncut or Mojo in years is due to the amount of Dad Rockers constantly appearing on the covers.

You're right, it's on our facebook page. So the stuff you posted isn't even on the tumblr biog.

If it's political to say that all people should have equal access to making music, and that social structures prevent them from doing so, then call me assata shakur!

As for unqualified statistics, I answered all questions about the methodology used. I think it's pretty clear what the infographic is giving information about (the gender breakdown of the line-up at this festival in relations to bands and individual musicians). Before developing an empowerment programme such as the girls* rock! project, you need to assess the current situation, in order to set goals and measure progress. Is this so hard to see?

ASSATASHAKURQQQQQQQUAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNDOOOOOOOOOO

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back