How have your tastes changed (1 Viewer)

metal then - metal now - metal forever
(and a bunch of other stuff)
I have no taste and I loathe other people's taste - I like facts, feelings and ideas. Opinions are like bastards .. or something

I'm a bit like that too. Would listen to more new music if it was available,but ridiculous postage prices and regularly finding good cheap used records means that I listen to more old music than new.
In other words you'd listen to more new music if you were arsed, instead of using your snobbery about streaming and your vinyl fetish as an excuse not to

Well Sleaford Mods was on the hottest day of the year, mid 30s or something, and I didn’t want to spend it in a poxy, sweaty club. I was either sick or hungover for Swans but I’d just seen Michael Gira solo a couple of weeks before. Anyway, I’ve stopped buying tickets way in advance because of these two incidents.

I had a fantastic time at Adebisi Shank on Thursday. Danced me hole off. It was a lot of fun. It's made me think that maybe the reason I'd be down on going to gigs was because I've been going to rubbish ones.

I stopped seeing what music I like as part of my identity

Definitely. I missed out on too much good stuff by dismissing it.

... and that stopped me being a snob, and made me care more about individual songs than albums

Right.

I definitely now subscribe to the why-ask-your-head-it's-your-hips-that-are-swinging school of musical taste.

In other words you'd listen to more new music if you were arsed, instead of using your snobbery about streaming and your vinyl fetish as an excuse not to

I am arsed.
I still buy new records.(just nor as much as I once did)
Listening to a stream of a tune doesn't appeal to me for discovering new bands. I may not buy as many cd's as I once did,but I still buy records,tapes and cd's on a reasonably regular basis. I also have spotify. In my opinion,still using all those formats,and new ones, potentially makes me less snobby than people who dismiss those old fashioned formats and only use what's currently fashionable.
I generally don't read music blogs etc so I'm not drawn into listening to what I'm told I should listen to. I'd much rather find something that looks like it will appeal to my taste on my own. By far the most successful way for me to do that is looking at records themselves. Information on a record sleeve will tell me a lot more about a record than some idiot at Pitchfork ever could.

I find looking at records in a shop really tedious now, I used to like browsing around in them. All these racks of music I've never heard of with no way to form an opinion on it. Now I like to read info about a record onlineand then order it online and have it hand delivered to me by the postman.

I find looking at records in a shop really tedious now, I used to like browsing around in them. All these racks of music I've never heard of with no way to form an opinion on it. Now I like to read info about a record onlineand then order it online and have it hand delivered to me by the postman.

I still like going to record shops. I like that every now and again you come across something that you mightn't have considered buying if you were just looking stuff up online, whether it's just from flicking through the shelves or recommendations from whoever's working there

Charity shop record hoking is still one of my favourite things to do

One of the ones I got at the weekend
wilma.jpg

what a waste of money

I still love to going to record stores. I'll find out about new stuff online, and unless I really want it urgently I'll put it on a list on my phone, then when I'm in shops I check the list to see if anything turns up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back