easy recipes for not-very-good cooks... (1 Viewer)

homemade pesto spread on chicken breasts and roasted = nectar of the gods.

pesto - handful of parmesan, handful of basil, handful of walnuts, one green chilli (deseeded), two cloves of garlic, mash it all up and add the oil.

tuna vermicelli

fry onion til soft, add tin of tuna (in sunflower oil/olive oil is best), add cooked pasta (vermicelli ideally but its all good), add chopped fresh parsley (will work with dried too, but its not so good), squeeze about half a lemon, salt & pepper.

the lemon juice & parsley are the most important part.

edit: pasta vermicelli, not rice vermicelli

that reminds me of a thing I do, real easy

pasta - I like the tubey ones that are pointy
lob in tuna
lob in mayonnaise
lob in LOADS of grated cheese, Dubliner cheddar is great
chop a red onion, lob that in

mix - cheese gets melty
eat
yum

home made pasta sauce was a revelation to me when I started making it.

1 tin chopped tomatoes
clove of garlic
salt / pepper / mixed herbs
sweetcorn / mushroom / peppers or whatever you like

Heat up a frying pan / wok, get your chopped garlic in, add sweetcorn / mushroom or whatever, till it starts to cook, then add the tin of chopped tomatoes, some salt, and then pepper or whatever other seasoning you want to add, and simmer till a lot of the watery-ness of the chopped tomatoes evaporates.

great on pasta. And it's vegetarian if you're that way inclined.

get 6 packs of mc donnells supernoodles. chicken flavour. open packs. chuck into some boiling water. go out of the room for a while. come back in. pour out most of the water. throw in the manky msg shite and a load of cheese. mc donnells supernoodles. done

that reminds me of a thing I do, real easy

pasta - I like the tubey ones that are pointy
lob in tuna
lob in mayonnaise
lob in LOADS of grated cheese, Dubliner cheddar is great
chop a red onion, lob that in

mix - cheese gets melty
eat
yum
I do something like a healthier version of this- wholemeal pasta, mix in a spoonful of pesto (I'm into sundried tomato pesto lately), a tin of tuna and some black olives, and away you go. low fat and good for getting protein and proper carbs into you.

My very simple pasta sauce is just garlic fried in olive oil, half a tin of sundried tomatoes, a spoonful of pesto and a squeeze of tomato puree. Olives optional.

Also what's very quick when I'm very lazy is a pork chop, diced and fried in a small bit of sesame oil, with whatever veg you want (I buy those pre-chopped stir fry mixes because of my laziness), throw on some soy sauce and serve on top of noodles, takes 10 mins max, and the flavours off the soy sauce and the sesame oil are amazing.

home made pasta sauce was a revelation to me when I started making it.

i make my own too. well, according to jamie oliver's recipie

2 tins plum tomatos
3 cloves garlic
1 chilli
basil
balsamic vinegar
olive oil

fry chopped up garlic and basil stalks. add tomatos and whole chili (just pierce it). dont squish the tomatos (something about giving time for the seeds to get sweeter). simmer for 30 mins, remove chili, then gently squish tomatos into the sauce. glug of balsamic vinegar. torn up basil leaves. job.

he has another recipie then where you bake potobello mushrooms in that sauce with fresh thyme and cheese. gorgeous.

homemade pasta sauce is the actual job, as is homemade pesto.
wholemeal spelt pasta (so much nicer to your stomach/waistline than normal pasta) with either is just divine!

Homemade Indian curry is dead easy too (although I can't vouch for it being a genuine Indian recipe ;) ) - get a lot of whole spices (I use cardamon, fenugreek, coriander, mustard and cumin), pour about a teaspoon or so of each onto a hot pan and toast them for a minute or so.

Fry up your chopped onion and garlic in your pan until the onion is translucent, add some spices, then fry for another bit. Then add your chicken/tofu/veg/etc and cook for a few minutes in your spices/onion mix until they're browned.

Then add your tin of tomatoes and cook until cooked through. Add more spices if you want (including chilli if you want it hotter)

You can add stock/water/cream/yogurt to this if you wish at the end to thicken up the sauce.

Serve with pilau rice (add turmeric, cumin and coriander to your rice when cooking, then garnish with fresh coriander) and a naan bread if you're so inclined...delicious and healthy (minus the naan ;) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back