Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime (1994) (1 Viewer)

Only saw them once live, last year after a twenty year wait. And they were spectacular. I think they may be going back into hibernation soon, but their offshoot band hot snakes will be touring, who are also terrific and amazing live

Oh hello!

I'm going to be that prick who says... I much prefer their first album.

Okay, maybe not much - a little. Both are great!

but - GAME CHANGER. Yes. I was very, very lucky to see then live first time round at the Phoenix Festival in.... 1994? I couldn't believe that a band could be that... good. A relentless, memorable show. Still remember it as one of the best gigs I've ever seen. Made me want to play lots of music.

So in summary: deadly.

This was a band that I only knew from my friends who seemed bananas for them. It seemed that either you loved them or you didn't know them. I'm on my third listen and I can't say I fully get what the fuss is about. Equally, I'm not having a problem with any of it (the vocals have been devisive in this thread and I don't understand why, they're exactly the sort of thing that fits this kind of music).

There are bits that I think are really great like when the music just soars into a beautiful uplifting bit about two thirds of the way into "Luau" and then it goes all skronky and heavy again. That's nice. However, it feels like there are long passages that kind of blur into each other for me but I reckon I'll come back to it and get a handle on it at a later date. I can't see myself buying it or becoming a regular staple on the stereo here.

One cool thing is that I didn't know they (in part) became Rocket from the Crypt and I've ended up listening to loads of them this week instead of Drive Like Jehu. I also never knew that Rocket from the Crypt deliberately had a name similar to Rocket from the Tombs and I've gone on a serious Tombs/early Pere Ubu bender this week too. I've got the first couple of Pere Ubu singles lined up for this evening (digitally, I don't own them).

I like Hot Snakes more than either Rocket or Jehu. You should check them out too.

It's not even the best album of TAC. But I did expect more posts as I thought DLJ were a fairly popular band here.
Just not my cup of tea, so I haven't engaged with this one. I haven't had much time for TAC in general lately due to other stuff going on.
Is it winding up @pete or are there more albums?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back