David Grubbs w/ Jeff Martin @ Lazybird July 3rd 2005 (1 Viewer)

nEiLo

Website
www.lazybird.org
This Sunday at Lazybird we proudly present David Grubbs.

This is a unique opportunity to see the legendary David Grubbs in the legendary Lazybird club. We expect this to be JAMMED so get there early to avoid disappointment.

Doors: 8.30pm
Admission: 10 euro

Support: Jeff Martin

DAVID GRUBBS

Louisville-born and bred, David Grubbs currently resides in New York.

In the mid-'80s, Grubbs was guitarist and songwriter in the widely influential punk group Squirrel Bait, which also featured Slint co-founders Britt Walford and Brian McMahon. Following Squirrel Bait's split, he played a similar role in Bastro (alongside Tortoise's Bundy K Brown and John McEntire), an intense musical unit who released two albums at the cusp of the '80s/'90s. During this same period, Grubbs was also a member of the harder-rocking Bitch Magnet.

In 1993, Grubbs and Bundy K Brown founded Gastr del Sol. Whilst Brown soon exited that group, Jim O'Rourke stepped in and Gastr del Sol (abetted at various stages by John McEntire, Tony Conrad, and Oval's Markus Popp) went on to release four albums between 1993 and 1998.

In 1997, Grubbs released his first solo album, "Banana Cabbage, Potato Lettuce, Onion Orange" (Table of the Elements). Subsequent releases have been "The Thicket" (1998, Drag City), "The Coxcomb" (Rectangle, 1998), "Apertura" (Blue Chopsticks, 1999), "The Spectrum Between" (2000, Drag City), and "Act Five, Scene One" (Drag City, 2002).

In June 2002, FatCat released his fourth solo effort, "Rickets & Scurvy", which is quite possibly his most accessible (and complete) record to date, and the first of his solo records to be built around an electric group, featuring Dan Brown, Noel Akchote and John McEntire, with M.C. Schmidt of Matmos providing additional electronics.

David Grubbs has also participated in Mayo Thompson's eccentric and eclectic Red Krayola since 1993. Having previously codirected Dexter's Cigar (again with Jim O'Rourke), an acclaimed reissue label, Grubbs presently runs the Blue Chopsticks record label, with releases from Luc Ferrari, Van Oehlen, and Mats Gustafsson.

Grubbs' new solo album, "A Guess At The Riddle", is released this month on FatCat.

/////////////////////////////////
Check out the Lazybird radio show on www.powerfm.org this sunday from 6pm until 7.30pm
/////////////////////////////////

www.lazybird.org

Upcoming:
July 10th: Hulk
July 17th: Richer Than Astronauts
July 24th: Cousin Elias

nEiLo said:
Upcoming:
July 10th: Hulk

hulk-big.jpg

OR

hoganbootband1.jpg

So do you Lazybirders know if Grubbs is playing a 'song' set or one of his wierd noise things?

Not sure what to make of 'A guess at the riddle' its good but compared to some previous stuff like.... know what I mean??

Looking forward to this

this was great. David Grubbs is sound.

thanks to Mick for the guitar, Jeff for the support, John (IMC) for putting us in touch with David. and thanks to all who came to this.

David Grubbs is doing a show in Cork next saturday...I'll root out the info in a sec...

nEiLo said:
this was great. David Grubbs is sound.

thanks to Mick for the guitar, Jeff for the support, John (IMC) for putting us in touch with David. and thanks to all who came to this.

What Neil said. Great night.

And here's what Emmet & I played on the web radio show last night, for those who are interested:

Me:

Neu!, "Isi" (Groenland)
Arthur Russell, "My Tiger, My Timing" (Point)
Cat & Dog Dialogue, "Next" (Slow Loris)
Red Krayola, "Duke of Newcastle" (Drag City)
Galaxie 500, "Fourth of July" (Rykodisc)
Mission of Burma, "Trem Two" (Ace of Hearts)
Gastr del Sol, "Rebecca Sylvester" (Drag City)
Bark Psychosis, "A Street Scene" (3rd Stone)
Bastro, "The Sifter" (Homestead)
Borbetomagus & Voice Crack, untitled (Agaric)
David Grubbs, "Gloriette" (Drag City)

Lez Boigaz:

Tied & Tickled Trio, "Curry Park" (Series 500)
Third Eye Foundation, "What to Do but Cry?" (Domino)
Bardo Pond, "Yellow Turban" (Matador)
Hampton Grease Band, "Upper & Lower Dresden" (Ptolemaic Terrascope)
Comets on Fire, "Pussy Foot the Duke" (Sub Pop)
Mudhoney, "Mud Ride" (Glitterhouse)
Martha & The Vandellas, "Heat Wave" (Motown)
Peshay, "The Piano Tune" (Good Looking)

Not sure which of us will be doing the show next week, but we'll have an album launch from Hulk (Osaka Records) in the actual club.

Paul

yup, great gig - lovely end to a super weekend. really nice guitar playing, and he seems like a very affable bloke as well.

i did find myself periodically thinking "wow, that guitar style is really david grubbs-y - oh, hang on, it is david grubbs." duh.

nEiLo said:
he's accompanying some poet... not a gig as such... it's very hard to find info for any of that Cork2005 stuff...

According to the Drag City/Blue Chopsticks site, it's their first duo performance (Susan Howe is the poet) of their forthcoming BC album Thiefth. DG himself said it'll be some laptop/power electronic sounds with live piano and SH reciting/responding. If you're in doubt, he equated SH's style with Tony Conrad!

http://www.soundeye.org/festival/dates2005.htm

J.

PS Strange parallels between that French movie (Les Imbeciles(?)) and Gastr? Would have been the perfect intro for Seasons Reverse or Bauchredner (which, FYI, is an Arnold Dreyblatt tune from Animal Magnetism (Tzadik)).

listen here: http://217.115.112.58/www.powerfm.org_LazyBird_Jul_3_2005.wma

photon said:
What Neil said. Great night.

And here's what Emmet & I played on the web radio show last night, for those who are interested:

Me:

Neu!, "Isi" (Groenland)
Arthur Russell, "My Tiger, My Timing" (Point)
Cat & Dog Dialogue, "Next" (Slow Loris)
Red Krayola, "Duke of Newcastle" (Drag City)
Galaxie 500, "Fourth of July" (Rykodisc)
Mission of Burma, "Trem Two" (Ace of Hearts)
Gastr del Sol, "Rebecca Sylvester" (Drag City)
Bark Psychosis, "A Street Scene" (3rd Stone)
Bastro, "The Sifter" (Homestead)
Borbetomagus & Voice Crack, untitled (Agaric)
David Grubbs, "Gloriette" (Drag City)

Lez Boigaz:

Tied & Tickled Trio, "Curry Park" (Series 500)
Third Eye Foundation, "What to Do but Cry?" (Domino)
Bardo Pond, "Yellow Turban" (Matador)
Hampton Grease Band, "Upper & Lower Dresden" (Ptolemaic Terrascope)
Comets on Fire, "Pussy Foot the Duke" (Sub Pop)
Mudhoney, "Mud Ride" (Glitterhouse)
Martha & The Vandellas, "Heat Wave" (Motown)
Peshay, "The Piano Tune" (Good Looking)

Not sure which of us will be doing the show next week, but we'll have an album launch from Hulk (Osaka Records) in the actual club.

Paul

nEiLo said:
Cat & Dog Dialogue, "Next" (Slow Loris) - this is deadly. who is it???

Don't know, actually. I got it from Steve "Northstation" Fanagan. Like all the Slow Loris releases, it's on 3" CD-R and has minimal artist info on it.

And also like all Slow Loris releases, it's pretty darned terrific.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back