Coming home from a long stay abroad (1 Viewer)

clonan attack

Website
www.myspace.com
So,

It's been 36 days since re-entry and while initially there was a huge buzz with seeing people I hadn't seen in over a year and Christmas and spending the last of my money I'm now faced with this shit invention called January.

Anybody have any tips on what one does on a daily basis to beat the blues when living back at home after 14 months of freedom, travelling? No need to point me in the way of the depression thread, its different than that. More sheer boredom, nobody really caring (and why should they) about my stories from far flung places, no money/job.

For the record I spent the time travelling around the world from S.E Asia through Australia and New Zealand then 4 months in South America. Best year of my life to this!baggyyyy

yeah its a cunt arriving back. i wallowed for too long when i got back from travelling. figured it'd be high times arriving home in june. summer and shit. fuck no. dull summer.
i notice i go away more at weekends down the country and pop over to england a few times since getting home. it breaks the weeks up.
other than that just masturbate heavily and drink on your own...

when i came back to dublin it was a weird mix of being on a serious downer but happy to see everyone. now it's chinese new year i'm pining for HK big time.

when i came back i was lucky as the electric picnic was on a few days after which kinda helped, then when it was over i threw myself into the gauntlet of finding a job, gaff etc. it sucks being back and you never get over having been away, but you will get used to it. my main advice would be to get job hunting. chin up, you can always take off again in the future :)

I dropped into London for a few days after well... say my last schlep around the world thing. Not counting this one. This one is work though. Doesn;t count.

Anyway, when I got back 1) I watched snooker. 2) I watched cricket. 3) I spent ages on the web and stayed up really late and went cycling really early to watch the sun rise.
Then I got down to some serious slacking. The thing about Ireland that;s annoying is thieving cunts and scumbags, so when Im cycling around or walking around late that;s in the back of my mind.
I forget what I actually ended up doing... winter is a bitch too. I was sleeping around on floors of gaffs, being cold and asthma-ey and then at some point I ended up getting a job in NYC.
Dad, can I have a lift to the airport?
Laterz/

oh yeah. That's right. I went back to Norway. Skiing. hahahaha. Nice one Maccers. Forgot about that.

I spent six months on the dole in a bedsit getting heavily into drugs. Either it was a coping mechanism for the shock of returning or I just liked getting loaded, I don't recall now.
I ended up phoning my dad and pleading with him to just come get me and bring me home to my parents house.

Just throw yourself back into ordinary life, getting a job and all that kind of stuff. I came back after 4 months in SE Asia a number of years ago and full on sat on my ass for about 3 months trying to settle back in. I didn't settle until I got a full-time job again, and just got on with things.

Just going out and getting a job also means that you'll have something else to talk about other than your travel stories that are boring everyone - which in fairness is all you have to talk about at the minute because that's been your life for the last year. A lot of things that you see / hear now that you're back are going to remind you of them because that's your frame of reference. And no-one else cares that much. Understandably.

Hyland_1.jpg

Hyland_2.jpg

my relatives are actually telling me I'm wearing away, i've never been fat though, think im still only 9and a half stone, and after a month of steak in Argentina (there he goes again) i now believe i will never be fat in any way shape or form.

That cartoon cheered me up no end though, its too true

Odd, I'm the opposite. Since I moved here nearly 3 years ago I always had in the back of my mind that it was temporary. I never bothered to try to put down any roots. I always missed home and was semi-down all the time. Over Christmas I was 'home' and all I was thinking about was what I was missing over here. My travel has become home and my home has become a travel destination. I was almost relieved see the Boston skyline disappear and happy to land in Dublin. Never thought that would happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back