Any of Garth Ennis's Punisher
War Stories
Preacher
Hellblazer
Animal Man
We3
Doom Patrol
The Invisibles
Batman : No Mans Land (ignore pretty much everything else from the last few years in the regular DCU)
FABLES
Global Frequency
The Exterminators
Nextwave
Hellboy
Wanted
The Maxx

Pretty much all of the above are rock solid reading.
Theres a few writers who's stuff is generally really good. Mark Millar, Grant Morrison, Brian Michael Bendis,Brian K Vaughan, Warren Ellis, Garth Ennis, Alan Moore. Obviously all of them have had some turkeys and theres a fuck load more writers who are amazing. But its late.

Ashley Wood is doing the new Tank Girl with original writer Alan Martin

published by IDW

AshleyTankGirl.jpg

Jesus, I thought Ashley Wood was dead or quit or Ben Templesmith or something.

not at all- hes got a great Horror comic out in the old Warren sytle , called Doomed- it comes out every few months

He's also been doing Popbot, Lore and a dozen other overpriced things I cant afford

He has a great bumper sized sketchbook collection out- only €50!

I just realised the other day in town, anything with Ashely Woods name on it costs far and away more than anything else on the shelf

Recent issues are just starting to go into endgame by the looks of it. I think the problem wit 100B is that the concept is good but its been dragged on so long everyones kinda forgotten what was goin on in the first place.

Recent issues are just starting to go into endgame by the looks of it. I think the problem wit 100B is that the concept is good but its been dragged on so long everyones kinda forgotten what was goin on in the first place.

true. i kinda lost myself half way through forgetting what had happened in previous books read months ago. happened me with akira too:rolleyes:

just got a credit card (ohhhh no) and visited amazon for the first time ever. will be spending far too much time in their comics/graphic novels department. latest purchase - The Marvel A-Z Encyclopedia

i see there are a few Garth Ennis fans here: got the first Preacher but didn't think much of it. Ok its a lot of fun I guess but the writing is a bit, I dunno, limited I suppose. Same thing with Hellblazer, I really liked how it started off but the more Ennis gets into it the less I like it. Like the thing in the 2nd or 3rd book with the magic well of guinness - made me cringe a bit. Am I just being a 'if it isn't Alan Moore then forget it' snob or does anyone else just not get Ennis? Maybe I haven't given enough of a chance but.

Ennis is definatly one of the best writers out there for building a character up to the point where you actually give a shit about them.
Moore is amazing dont get me wrong but he verges on the overly complex from time to time. For a cross between both writers, try Warren Ellis.

Ennis is definatly one of the best writers out there for building a character up to the point where you actually give a shit about them.
For a cross between both writers, try Warren Ellis.

ellis, yeah transmet is on the list of stuff i want to start getting into properly I've only read the 1st issue

Moore is amazing dont get me wrong but he verges on the overly complex from time to time.

perhaps, i tend to enjoy his stuff more on the 2nd reading. Promethea is currently rocking my world though it took a few reads to really get into it

Moore is totally a layer writer.Most of his stuff tends to have a few different things going on at once that you only get after multiple reads.

I don't like Garth Ennis much. I used to, but the more I read his stuff the more I noticed how much he reuses things. Big things. Like Grandmas house and Ma Gnucci's house being the same thing. Also his inability to leave Ireland out of anything he wrotes, even if it has to be shoehorned in really awkwardly like in one Punisher from a while back.

Ennis is a whore for lashing Ireland into everything. Pretty much every title he has had a run at has had Ireland in it somewhere. It pisses me off sometimes but sometimes it half makes sense. Im waiting for the Irish aspect of "The Boys" to kick in an issue now.
Punisher has been to Ireland a few times now if I remember correctly. once it was ok, the second time was really awkward like you said. It was just an excuse to make up the pages. Have you been reading "A man called Kev"? Its really good and the irish aspect of it at the start is very funny.

I imagine Midnighter will be taking a trip Ireland after he's done with Hitler. Or perhaps during. Shut up Garth Ennis.

Also did anyone else read that new first Authority where nothing happened for 22 pages and they can't swear anymore? You're on the list, Morrison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back