Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (1 Viewer)

'how much carbon i didn't use' = 'all the carbon in the universe except the extra calories from eating'.

there is quite an interesting calculation about how CO2 intensive cycling is, compared to driving say. the human body is not very efficient at turning food into energy, and that food can be CO2 intensive.
and some bikes are made of carbon - but is that carbon usage or capture?

Did it account for the carbon you did use though? The extra calories you had to eat in order to power the bike?

I ate the exact same as when I drive- normally there might be about 50% more salad stuff out of jars in the fridge because i tend to need to stuff my face about 9.30 - 10 to get through the first few hours but i was badly set up food wise this week.

On activities tagged as commutes, Strava will calculate the estimated carbon saved as compared to completing that trip in the average personal passenger vehicle, based on this 2021 US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) report. While several variables can affect the carbon savings that are unique to each person, we hope that this estimation can help serve as a guideline for your own impact!

I can check this against my own figures later on

The calories you expended on the bike had to come from somewhere

I'm 5kg or so above my normal - today will be a calorie deficit day - it'd be about 250 calories extra - the calories in this case are essntially coming from the pints and cans i had last weekend more or less

The calories you expended on the bike had to come from somewhere

So taking a wee look at this for the sake of understanding because i know what you are saying is valid and should be considered.

I'm going with steak here for the sake of example - I wouldn't actually eat steak outside very special occasions but I'm going with the most carbon intensive thing i can think of for the craic.

For my extra 250 calories i need about 100g of steak (that's a 1/4 pound if you are from a waning empire clinging to the past) - that's gonna make 10kg of carbon so I should definetly just drive to work.

If i go for something normal, like what i actually eat at work which is salad - in my case when i know it's a big day i am putting huge amounts beetroot in because it's class and usually two eggs instead of one, bit of bread.

adding these all up I might be able to cobble together about 750g of carbon for the extra food - about 1/6th of driving.

If you drive to have a steak everyday, you should probably be put down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back