Cleaning the heads on a Space Echo (1 Viewer)

argh, take this with a shaker of salt 'cos i've been up 3 days... but i've had several over the years, cleaned em a ton of times... it's reeeeallly good to de-magnetize the heads first (an easy but also easy to fk up proceedure unto itself...), and no dis meant to kings lead hat, but a foam-rubber swab can be a bit safer... the head-gaps tend to grab tiny strands of cotton swab , esp. on older units. Best to swab only in the direction the tape travels....oh creee-eyezt I need to go to sleep.... pretend I was never here...

these are not the droids you are seeking... move along...

Yeah, this went without problem. I should really demagnetize tho, yeah. Anyways, this is the Space Echo that I pimped out with white Tolex. Will post pics later.

argh, take this with a shaker of salt 'cos i've been up 3 days... but i've had several over the years, cleaned em a ton of times... it's reeeeallly good to de-magnetize the heads first (an easy but also easy to fk up proceedure unto itself...), and no dis meant to kings lead hat, but a foam-rubber swab can be a bit safer... the head-gaps tend to grab tiny strands of cotton swab , esp. on older units. Best to swab only in the direction the tape travels....oh creee-eyezt I need to go to sleep.... pretend I was never here...

these are not the droids you are seeking... move along...

indeed!
now where can I get foam rubber or lint free swabs in Dub?

whoo, good question.... calling Red Tape! calling Red Tape! Dang I spent a million hours in some joint in Dublin that sells alll kinds of electronics parts n' stuff, like the Radio Shack shops here in the states... wtf is that place called??
ah, found this, the part number at this place, but no price:

Corporate Express Ireland/Staples stores: CE 9030069 FOAM SWABS PACK 25

and for real, demagnetizing first will do you bales of good, but a cheap de-mag unit or doin it wrong will make you curse and want to beat me with a 9 iron or hurley... your choice...

and 'cos I'm an insomniac geek, here's waay too much info that is probably not at all useful below. (checkin' the joogles...) hmmmmm these seem total overkill, prolly stupidly expensive too, but I've an itchy cut and paste reflex:
Name: QTEK Manufacturing Ltd.
Address: Riverside, Commercial Estate
City: Galway
Phone: + 353 91 745 160
FAX: + 353 91 751 299
http://www.qtek.com

Jun 26, 2007 QTEK IPA/DI Self-Saturating Foam Swabs remove contaminants from hard-to-reach electronic components, magnetic heads, and other similar areas in production and electronic environments. Each swab has clear polypropylene handle filled with 1.4 ml of IPA/DI fluid, which consists of 91% isopropyl alcohol and 9% deionized water. IPA/DI fluid is non-aggressive and suitable for use on plastic or metal surfaces, and design ensures no risk of cross contamination.

Hmmmm, yeah that's probably a big ol' waste of dough, and I'd go with 99% isopropyl-- those above with 9% water on space echo heads could likely=RUST (oxide), which kinda defeats the purpose, since that's what we wanna get rid of!. (fek sake dubh get to the point...)

AHA! "Free Samples"!-- though still through the post from the states. ANyways... this has pics of what you're lookin' for type of thing:
http://www.foamtecintlwcc.com/products/swabs/foam-swabs.html
note the 'request a free sample' link!
yeah I get paid by the word to post here:rolleyes: hope there's some help in there somewhere, or least y'll forgive an old man his gibbering on....

You can get lint free cloth in the supermarket - it's used for cleaning windows, so comes in big, think squares, but you can cut it down to a more useful size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back