Cheap Record player? (1 Viewer)

I got the ion thingy from the UK and it seems grand.

I need one of these (see fig. 1) though, as my speakers don't have an rca input. There is a 1/8" socket on the record player, but it's an input.

audio1-rca-to-headphone.jpg

Fig. 1: RCA female to 1/8" male stereo connector cable.

I have a portable Ion. Total plastic lightweight shite, of course, but it's nice to pull out a turntable in the park on a summer's day.

On the matter of cheap record players, I recently got a turntable from an old sterio that used to be in my grandparents house. It's sony made, and has auxilary cables which are great for my sterio, but I can't power it. It has some other tiny plug thing which I assume went into the sterio somewhere. Is there anyway I can adapt this so that I can just plug it into a socket?

somethingorother.jpg

No,its dc powered.look for the label that says what voltage it is and hook it up to a power supply(y'know the ones that go from 1.5-12v).I have one hooked up like that.

I went into maplins today to get that cable and I saw the same turntable I got from the UK for €80 (including shipping) for €159. By my calculation that's nigh on 100% more expensive. Fuckin hell.

On the other hand that cable is absolutely useless to me. I noticed when I got home that it's not what I'm looking for at all. Basically, if you're getting one of these bottom of the range Ion ones and you want to plug it directly into your speakers, probably best to make sure your speakers take RCA inputs. My skin and blister has an old stereo system that she's not using so I'll just borrow that I think. Probably doesn't have the right shagging yokes either.

what do you mean "directly into speakers", do you not want to amplify the phono signal or do you have active speakers (built in amp)?

Actually, I see your point. What I had in mind was never going to work anyway because I'd need amplification of the phono signal first. Penny eventually drops.

yeah, you also need a phono pre-amplifier to bring the lower phono signal to line level. some record players have one built in, and some amplifiers have a separate phono channel with a built in amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back