Bonnie "Prick" Billie (1 Viewer)

Jeez what a letdown. That was the worst backing band I've ever seen Mr. Oldham play with. Absolutely murdered half the set. His brother and the dude from the Oxes were especially awful.

All the volvo drivers that heard him on Today fm seemed to like it though. Wished they'd all fucked off with their handclaps to wherever Hansard was playing.

!baggyyyy :mad:

What!!!
That was an amaaaaaazing show...
Fantastic reworkings of tunes...

His brother is a prick buh...

best Ive ever seen goodtime john

Ian said:
What!!!
That was an amaaaaaazing show...
Fantastic reworkings of tunes...

His brother is a prick buh...

best Ive ever seen goodtime john

Ah I know I'm in the minority. I agree, some of the tunes were very nicely reworked, but most of them were " reworked" because the band especially the drummer didn't know half of them. They'd only played together twice before. Some of those stupid cowboy drum beats completely drowned out the music.

I'm all for reinvention, and he always does that anyway, but I still think they sounded like a pub rock band at times.

Ho hum.

I've gotta agree with wheels on this one, that drummer was awful! He seemed to have NO sense of dynamics at all. the band would quieten down and he'd still be pounding away. He turned what could have been a good gig into crap. The guitarist was a bit wanky too. He even broke into Crazy Train for feck sake. Nuff said. Will's brother was ok during the main set but his own set with the guitarist was the most tuneless dirge i've heard in a long time.

I liked the idea of playing a slightly more rocky set but i guess will didn't have the right people with him for the job. Accordian player was cool tho.

I should have saved my money and bought the new album instead. Goodtime ruled tho. Best i've seen him in ages. New stuff sounds great.

Ah I really enjoyed it. It was like being in Nashville. I didn't really care if the band hadn't practised together much before - it's really interesting to listen to musicians buzz off each other like that. The set just wasn't in any way subtle - especially Oxes' drummin - and that was a shame. The auld ones sitting in front of me were disappointed the songs didn't sound exactly the same as the albums.

I was more pissed off with the audience. Most of the time, no one would shut up and those drunk hecklers were the worst I've ever seen. I could hardly hear Goodtime John or Ned.

The madness at the end was deadly, though.

Re: madness at the end...

that was such a purple rain moment... I expect will was outside unlocking his bike... then... he... hears the crowd

Was that the drummer from Oxes? Sure looked like him
I thought the whole thing was good in parts - bit frustrating that he's gone to the trouble of writing such nice melodies and then avoids singing em when he's on stage, but the odd few times the hair stood up on the back of my neck. New album is fucking amazing

I diddent really have a problem with the drummer... perhaps it was because i was upstairs...

Wheels said:
Jeez what a letdown. That was the worst backing band I've ever seen Mr. Oldham play with. Absolutely murdered half the set.
All the volvo drivers that heard him on Today fm seemed to like it though.
totally agree! thought i was being cynical or picky there.. but damn, what's the point of writing such sublime lyrics & melodies and then pub-rocking them into the ground?

hmmm...it was strange.
but I have been a huge fan of his for years and never saw him live.
so it seemed great just to hear those songs come to life.
then again the rock version of I See A Darkness was like reading the cliff notes of the bell jar...

peaches, how was the rest of your night: )?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back