Bloggers, myspace, flickr. What happens when you die? (1 Viewer)

Questions for those you with a heavy online presence.

What happens to all of these things if you die? Have you thought about it? Made arrangements with a mate or family member to go and clean this stuff up? Do you know people online - and only online - who wouldn't find out if you died? Does this bother you? Have you made a list of them?

Would you be cool with your blog or flickr or myspace or whatever just sort of hanging there, no entries beyond the day you died? What if it became a sort of online memorial as so many of them do? Is that healthy?

It's for an article I'm working on. Morbid, I know. New ground, though.

Difficult enough for relatives to deal with the mobile, now this.

I have thought about this. I do beaut.ie with my sister so if I die, she takes the mantle, and vice versa.

what would happen if PETE dies, is what I want to know.

seeing as we're all just part of a bad dream he's having, i suppose we'll disappear into his subconcious, popping up every now and then whenever he sees a gorilla, or a ninja movie, or maybe (if we're lucky) a bunch of widdle puppies playing in the sunshine.

Isn't there someone on this board who has a business called last request or something? Where you pay them to mind your secrets, and if you die, they contact someone you nominate to carry out your final wishes and stuff. If you die, you could give that person all your passwords.

rapture.jpg

As far as I know family can get your passwords somehow. I know when my mate died last summer somebody, either his family or mate got hold of his password so that a mate could email everyone in his hotmail address book.

Does anyone remember this, when Yul Bryner died, and came out with that commercial after he was dead?

"I'm Yul Bryner and I'm dead now."

What the fuck's this guy selling? I'm all ears. I'm Yul Bryner and I'm dead now, because I smoked cigarettes. Okay, pretty scary. But they coulda done that with anyone. They coulda done it with that Jim Fixx guy, too, remember that guy, that health nut who died while jogging ... I don't remember seeing his commercial!

"I'm Jim Fixx and I'm dead now. And I don't know what the fuck happened. I jogged every day, ate nothing but tofu, swam five hundred laps every morning, and I'm dead ... Yul Bryner drank, smoke, and got laid every night of his life. He's dead. Shit! Yul Bryner's smokin', drinkin', girls are sitting on his cueball noggin, every night of his life! I'm running around a dewy track at dawn. And we're both fucking dead. Yul used to pass me on his way home in the morning, big long limousine, two girls blowing him, cigarette in one hand, drink in the other. One day that life is going to get to you, Yul."

Does anyone remember this, when Yul Bryner died, and came out with that commercial after he was dead?

"I'm Yul Bryner and I'm dead now."

What the fuck's this guy selling? I'm all ears. I'm Yul Bryner and I'm dead now, because I smoked cigarettes. Okay, pretty scary. But they coulda done that with anyone. They coulda done it with that Jim Fixx guy, too, remember that guy, that health nut who died while jogging ... I don't remember seeing his commercial!

"I'm Jim Fixx and I'm dead now. And I don't know what the fuck happened. I jogged every day, ate nothing but tofu, swam five hundred laps every morning, and I'm dead ... Yul Bryner drank, smoke, and got laid every night of his life. He's dead. Shit! Yul Bryner's smokin', drinkin', girls are sitting on his cueball noggin, every night of his life! I'm running around a dewy track at dawn. And we're both fucking dead. Yul used to pass me on his way home in the morning, big long limousine, two girls blowing him, cigarette in one hand, drink in the other. One day that life is going to get to you, Yul."

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Slightly off your topic but I was discussing with my girlfriend about email ettiquette and the like. IE Should she be allowed unfettered access to my email account(s) and vice versa? I think not, but I won't get into the specifics.

Anyway it got me thinking of this very topic, I have accumulated 1000s of personal emails over the last 8 years or so in one webmail account, if I were to expire, no-one in my family could access them. I suppose as far as my personal emails this doesn't really matter they're only my business and that of my correspondent who if they cared would have saved copies of the emails but there could be specific information that my family needs/wants that they would have to approach yahoo about. I suppose if I were forward thinking and a bit morbid (i'm 25 and in reasonably good health) I could make a will that provided loved ones or the executor etc with all the passwords to all my email/myspace/livejournal/thumped/bebo/bowlie/straightdope/snopes etc usernames and passwords.

I think as far as the emails I have archived I'm going to try to systematically make hardcopies of the ones I want to keep and then delete them from my webmail. I'm gonna print them out and then seal them in a big envelope for perusal at a later date.

Thus my rant endeth, Thank You.
freddienonose, private message me if you need to know anything more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back