Ballroom of Romance # 15 Friday, 25th April 2003 (1 Viewer)

Knacker

Website
www.ballroomofromance.com
Here's the line-up for Ballroom of Romance #15...

Date: Friday, 25th April 2003
Venue: The Lower Deck, Portobello (just up from the Bleeding Horse pub, right behind Portobello College).
Time: 9pm
Tickets: €6 (with a free CD-R to the first hundred in the door).

Bands:

Steerage.
Now a three-piece minus a vocalist, Steerage have re-defined and matured their sound considerably since we last had them around. Perhaps in the same vein as the Redneck Manifesto, these guys produce melodic and turbulent instrumental rock. They've got a tight sound and if any of you made it to Ballroom #5 (with Estel, Herv and Jimmy Behan) you would have seen An Hermetic Collective and you would know exactly what to expect from these guys. Should be extremely good.

Halfset.
This three-piece which features Jeff Martin in the line-up make beautifully-crafted instrumental music. They have a sound which appeals to most folk and we're sure that there'll be a lot of satisfied punters at Ballroom#15. Currently working on a release, they recently played a set at the DIRTY club in Grey's of Newmarke t Square. Keep your ears open for these guys.

Maersk.
Maersk (formerly Embers) will be launching their debut release "First Line". Label-mates of Herv on Compactrisc (http://www.compactrisc.net), Maersk promise to deliver pleasure-provoking rock. Should be well-worth it.

Mr. Creosote.
Limerick-based Mr. Creosote should provide Dublin with a wake-up call.

We will be bringing you a Ballroom generally every month now. Frankly we all need some more me time.

The one after this will be on 9th May and that line-up will feature DRAT (with members of the muchly-missed Watercress).

The 20th of June will see us play host to the Wormholes, Puget Sound and (hopefully!) Belfast's Tracer AMC.

We're planning on having a big hooly for our birthday in July which will hopefully see a myriad of great bands and possibly the launch of a Ballroom of Romance album-y thingy. However, the 21st June is our birthday.

September 26th will see Goodtime John play at the Ballroom - something we're really looking forward to.

For more information, just visit http://www.ballroomofromance.com

Re: Hint, Hint...

Originally posted by Juno
Just noticed the June ballroom is on my birthday...perfect opportunity for you all to give me lots of presents then.

Excellent! :D

take note..... Knacker and Squack's bday is on the 13th so plenty of pressies for us on the 20th aswell

roight!

'Limerick-based Mr. Creosote should provide Dublin with a wake-up call'

Thats a nice way of saying we really don't know what they sound like but we're nice enough to give 'em a gig anyway! Well for anyone who wants to know (and hasn't yet heard this age-old mp3), we'll be playing music like this song that is on thumped: http://thumped.com/music/mr_creosote-dont_even_speak.mp3

except it'll be a full band as opposed to just acoustamiks (we'll also have Bryan 'Rusty' O'Connell in the background hitting things to the time of the songs). We're putting the finishing touches on our debut EP, its doubtful whether or not it'll be ready for the Ballroom gig but hopefully soon after.

Should be a deadly night!

RR.

Originally posted by snakybus
i notice Maersk have bought advertising on the sides of large refrigerator trucks, how anti-diy is that? psch, capitalists.

yes, they seem to have a distinctly globalisationalist (sp?) approach to band construction as well, nicking drummers from about 10 different dublin bands.

if that makes any sense.

*coff*

Originally posted by Mr Creosote
'Limerick-based Mr. Creosote should provide Dublin with a wake-up call'

Thats a nice way of saying we really don't know what they sound like but we're nice enough to give 'em a gig anyway!

Ha ha!... Gannon: snared.

Thankfully I don't do all the listening to records. Al recommends you lot highly... I just blurb and schmooze

Originally posted by herv
yes, they seem to have a distinctly globalisationalist (sp?) approach to band construction as well, nicking drummers from about 10 different dublin bands.

if that makes any sense.

*coff*

yeah, but what can you do, eh?

P.S. its globalist, isn't it?

If Maersk is to play, not only will we be borrowing a drummer but I'll have to be borrowing somebody's left arm. My one's busted.

Ah no, I should be mended by then.

..I was at the last couple and if anything the crowd seems to bogger than the early days. I'm sure billy and al have some crazy statistical data up their nerdy heads that can give you exact figures and racial demmographics though!:D

Originally posted by DontMugYourself
I thought the thing with the ballroom was to have one big/well known act and 3 lesser known acts.

Are the crowds still as good as ever?

just wondering like

Back in the day all the bands were fairly unknown. These are 4 quality :)D ) acts so we felt t'was worth putting them all on the bill.

The last one was quiet , not distastrously so, but a throw back to them early ballrooms. We wrere constantly playing catch-up with promotion and the like doing 2 a month so we've cut it down to one a month.

Hup and all that... bloody hell, three pages down.

Just listened to Steerage's "Unmastered" EP....
They're fecking brilliant... much better than they were with that vocalist fella.
If Mogwai or the Rednecks is your sort of thing, you must check them out. The track on the Ballroom CD-R is rocking - everyone I've played it so far has said it's deadly.

The compilation CD for this is sounding great (getting mastered right now).... they will work this time...

This will be a legendary line-up so you all better come. It's going to be one of the best Ballrooms yet....

(and Tracer AMC, Wormholes and Puget Sound for the 20th June - back of the net!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back