Anyone here work as a Chef? (1 Viewer)

Crowbar0

I'd appreciate it if anyone working as a chef of any grade could give me their opinion on this?

In about 12-18 months I'll have the opportunity to leave my job, and possibly move to Australia/New Zealand with my partner.

The chances of me getting work over there in what I do are slim, and I'm not sure if I want it anyway.

So my plan is to finish my job here, and do a 4month Failte 'Culinary Skills' course, which basically 'qualifies' you to become a commis chef, or at least looks better on a CV than no chefing experience at all!

I have a big interest in food, can cook, and have worked in many 'fine dining' restaurants for more than 4 years as a waiter, so I'm used to the pressure/speed of work etc.

I'd like to start out in a decent restaurant/hotel such as Ely/Merrion Hotel or Bleu etc, so then I can continue to work in places where the food is good and challenging to cook.

So I basically have a few questions about working as a chef, such as;

Is 24 a bit old to be starting out as a commis?

Will the pay be terrible, or at least minimum wage?

Is it easy enough to find work abroad as a chef?

Thanks.

i havent worked in restaurants in oz but I have in new zealand. some of my good mates there are chefs and my ex boyfriend there was too.

im not a chef but i would advise:

working with some of the food from the area you plan on heading to. get to know about the wines grown in the region; what food and herbs are seasonal.

with only a 4 month course behind you you can only expect to become a commis chef at first anyway. keep in mind some people start in f and b when they're in their teens meaning they earned the sous-chef position by putting in the time.

most of the guys i know started off as dish pigs and through their enthusiasm and putting up with being covered in oily water all day moved up to doing prep.

if you're serious about it you won't mind the fact that you're 24 and you'll get stuck in.

im not a little bit jealous :(

:D

-and regarding the pay, most of them were paid pretty well but i guess it is relative to the amount of experience you have etc

Thanks for the reply La La!

Yeah, knowing the wines etc is a great idea, tis opposite land over there seasons-wise!

After the 4month course I would probably try and get at least 6 months work as a commis somewhere decent here first, as I know goin over with just the cert would be tough.

As a side, New Zealand is our most likely destination, so the more info about there you have the better! what are the restaurants like? Similiar to here?

And wages/cost of living etc? Havent decided on any area yet, maybe Wellington?

Thanks for the reply La La!

Yeah, knowing the wines etc is a great idea, tis opposite land over there seasons-wise!

After the 4month course I would probably try and get at least 6 months work as a commis somewhere decent here first, as I know goin over with just the cert would be tough.

As a side, New Zealand is our most likely destination, so the more info about there you have the better! what are the restaurants like? Similiar to here?

And wages/cost of living etc? Havent decided on any area yet, maybe Wellington?

im hoping an actual chef will give you a reply too as i really dont know all that much! :)

but if you love food, new zealand is really wonderful.

the two winter seasons i spent there were in queenstown so I can't tell you about the cities. however, queenstown is stuffed with amazing eateries from fine dining to little cafes. gibbston valley, wine growing region, is a short drive away. if you want ill send some emails out and see what the situ is like in NZ in general for foodies.

cost of living is relatively cheap, but again i can only speak for queenstown and you'd be better getting that info form someone who has been to wellington etc

For workin in supermacs. Restaraunts are different.
Are there any good restaraunts in limerick mormon? Last time i was there everyone was raving about some new place called "abrakebabra".

A world of food I hear.

Sorry,
Apologies to all.
Yes man you should go for it if its what you want. It's a tough life though, and trust me if yoou really want to do it you are going to have to be prepared to learn a lot more about detergent in the next 12 months than you will about local wines.
You certainly won't be discussing menu options with Thomas Keller oh for at least a year I'd say;)
Local wines and herbs - FFS lads!

Sorry,
Apologies to all.
Yes man you should go for it if its what you want. It's a tough life though, and trust me if yoou really want to do it you are going to have to be prepared to learn a lot more about detergent in the next 12 months than you will about local wines.
You certainly won't be discussing menu options with Thomas Keller oh for at least a year I'd say;)

of course local produce isnt the only thing, like duuuhhhh ;)

but surely it would help seeing as he wants to go to the otehr side of the world where stuff is seasonally different?

it was just a suggestion!!!!

:(

now go cook me up a nice chocolate pud will ya?!bing :p

Sorry,
Apologies to all.

I already know a fair bit about detergents, I was a waiter for 5 years. ;) And anyway, commis generally do more prep work than washing up, from whate I've seen where I worked.

And you'l notice, I didnt ask about discussing menu's with anyone, I asked about the likelyhood of getting a (commis) job with just a four month course behind me, and also then, how would the pay compare to minimum wage etc, as I have heard stories about commis having to work 50-60 hour weeks for less than minimum wage, in the established 'fine dining' restaurants.

I'll make you chocolate pudding La La :D

I'd appreciate it if anyone working as a chef of any grade could give me their opinion on this?

Is 24 a bit old to be starting out as a commis?

Will the pay be terrible, or at least minimum wage?

Is it easy enough to find work abroad as a chef?

Thanks.

24 is a grand age to start out.when i was working in rolly's last they took on a 64 year old commis, it was quite funny actually now that i remember.don't know about where ever it is you are going but generally here the pay is really shit,even for some of the sous chefs.also from experience of being at the complete bottom you will be doing all the shit jobs,and maybe some washing up(in my case it wasn't actually a lot).you will probably be doing a lot of prep(know what mirepoix is cos you will soon).chances are you wont see service for at least a few months after being there,then if lucky you'll be on veg section or something.i would say definitely do that course and get some experience.great thing about being a chef is that in theory you can travel anywhere in the world and get work easily cos there is always a restaurant somewhere,maybe not so much so for commis chefs though.anyway i would say that most restaurants would be happy to take you on with at least basic experience(like don't cut yourself on the first day:rolleyes:), then pay you shit and make you do all the jobs the don't want to do.:D
Hope that helps somewhat.Good luck anyway.

its been more than 10 years since I was working in ireland in kitchens... but, back then, there was no problem in getting commis work.

Not telling management to fuck themselves, and having massive fights holding very large knifes was a slightly more tricky matter... but you probably know all about that.

Good luck man. (You'll fucking need it.)

whatever you do, keep an eye on your stress levels. Don't get an ego and work fast, not lazy, but don't over do it. You are never to young to start being a chef. i grew up in a restaurant and was a commis since i was 15, but now i hate it. it's all common sense. Dont pick up bad habits and you'll keep the head chef happy. And always clean as you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back