Advice? (1 Viewer)

SeanR

Website
punk4it.proboards29.com
I just got a Canon EOS 3000V for Christmas cos I needed it for college work. Just wondering, for people who're familiar with this/similar functioning cameras, what is the best setting to use for taking pictures at gigs? Dim lighting etc? I don't know much about it yet. Thanks in advance!

Use the lowest aperture setting you have on the lens (it's probably f/3.5 but it would be better if it had a lower setting eg, f/1.4). The lower the number, the bigger the aperture. Which means it lets more light in more quickly, which means you can take pictures in lower light conditions.

Use ISO400 or higher film (the higher the ISO of the film, the faster - i.e., the film is quicker, which means it takes less time to take the picture in lower light). There will be more grain though. But this can be good, especially in black and white.

Get a flash unit, preferably a speedlite type with a swivel head.

Deadly advice thanks. The camera has a flash already. Thanks!

(Any more info/advice is still welcome).

In-built flash is really only good as a fill-in. If you want to be taking pics from fifteen feet or more away, you'll probably need a decent hotshoe flash.

But try it and see. You'd be surprised what you can get away with.

hire a photographer and commission him to document your life for the next month.
im sure you'll pick up a few things just by watching.

Best thing you could do is buy a 50mm lens with a 1.8 or (if you're loaded) 1.4 maximum aperature. This way you can take shots at gigs without using flash. Flash is very tricky to get right, and built in camera flash is ALWAYS horrible, especially for gigs.

Best thing you could do is buy a 50mm lens with a 1.8 or (if you're loaded) 1.4 maximum aperature. This way you can take shots at gigs without using flash. Flash is very tricky to get right, and built in camera flash is ALWAYS horrible, especially for gigs.

The Canon 50mm (http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/EF_Lenses/Fixed_Focal_Length/EF_50mm_f18II/) is a deadly lens. Great for low light. €139 in conn's cameras, but probably cheaper elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back