A music industry case study (2 Viewers)

excerpt from an interview with VP of A&R at one of the majors in the states which is actually quite encouraging:

In today's market it seems we're always creating trends or chasing them. However, for example in the '70s, it seems anything that was good had a shot. If you find something really unique and interesting, can you do anything with it?

I'm really hungry for new sounds and new things, but you're hitting on one of the real problems in the industry today. One of the problems is radio. In America, radio is so formatted, and it's so tough to get past those gatekeepers. They're in a fierce battle for ratings, so they're looking for records that will immediately result in phone response. Who could blame them, but it's a vicious circle. Sometimes the great songs don't react immediately. We all have records we love from the '70s--like when I first heard Todd Rundgren or Led Zeppelin. Those records might not have been so instant. Sometimes it takes a few listens before you're completely in love with it. And sometimes those are the best records. Radio doesn't really have the patience for that now. And major labels are owned by large corporations, that have bottom lines to watch out for. We're expected to make sales quotas and all that sort of thing. That puts various other kind of pressures on us as well.

What trends do you see on the horizon a year from now, two years from now? Are there any trends starting to develop?

I'm hoping that the trends will be against the trends that we see right now. I'm hoping that people will demand more thoughtful and interesting music. I think a lot of music now is a little uninspired, dumbed down. Just because it's successful doesn't mean it's good.

What would you rather have a hit song, or an unbelievable artist?

An unbelievable artist.

+++

whaddiya rekkin skippy?

$40,477.25 each, about the same as a city sanitation worker with two years' experience

That's pretty good money for a city sanitation worker. *sigh* I'm in the wrong business.

us sanitation workers, prefer sanitary engineer. Getting paid for trawling through garbage is good

Re: Re: A music industry case study

Originally posted by Psychotic no 2
$40,477.25 each, about the same as a city sanitation worker with two years' experience

That's pretty good money for a city sanitation worker. *sigh* I'm in the wrong business.

http://www.mayonews.ie/current/county.tmpl$showpage?value1=3254658823149476

"Among these was the astounding revelation that one car-park attendant received a whopping 266,000 in 2002 while another earned over 250,000. Town Mayor Cllr. Michael Kilcoyne told The Mayo News yesterday (Tuesday) that the lack of information contained in the documents means there is a likelihood that the Council may try to pull out of the aforementioned arrangements."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back