pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Yeah I know - we've seen it all before.... from the New York Daily News:

A look at a mythical rock band's earnings, with actual figures compiled from industry sources:
New York City's hottest new band is Grunthead, a four-piece hard rock group from Maspeth. Because they've got buzz, the band gets a 15% royalty rate, a few points above the usual amount for a new artist.

Its debut, "Gruntastic," goes gold – only 128 of more than 30,000 records reached that level in 2002.

The Gold Record Gross: 500,000 albums sell at $16.98 = $8,490,000 The Grunts' royalty is 15% of retail. That's $1,273,500.

But the Contract calls for "packaging deductions" of 25%, so the gross drops to $6,367,500. Then there's promotional albums and giveaways the labels give to wholesalers, retailers, radio and the press. That's a "free goods" charge of 15%, so the gross drops another to $5,094,000. So, the band's royalty is actually: $764,100. The record company keeps the packaging and "free goods" funds. After collecting a $9.99 wholesale price, it also reaps an additional $829,900. The $3,500,000 balance goes to retailers, assuming they sell the record for list price.

Because the band was hot, they got an advance from the record company of $300,000. They spent $200,000 of that recording the album, which included a $50,000 advance to the producer. They pocketed the remaining $100,000. Additionally, the label spent $100,000 making the band's first video, which got them played on MTV2. The band owes all of this money back to the label.

So the royalty drops to $364,100.

But the band's producer also earned a 4% royalty of $203,760, of which he already received $50,000. So the band has to pay him an additional $153,760, reducing their royalty to $210,340.

After pocketing $310,340 (which includes the remaining $100,000 of the advance), the band has to pay their manager 15%, or $46,551, and give 2% of the total deal, or $101,880, to the power lawyer who got them the deal in the first place. That takes the band down to $161,909.

That's not bad money, but it's split four ways, or $40,477.25 each, about the same as a city sanitation worker with two years' experience, without health benefits, vacation and retirement fund. But with, of course, groupies.

Originally posted by pete
A New York Daily News journalist, i'd imagine.

you want me to read it out to you too?

jeezezzzz

yow-za!

i read it.

then i wanted to find out who done wrote it.

so i went to the site.

no name.

was wondering if you might know, seeing as you posted it.

jeezezzzz

Originally posted by Latex lizzie
..everybody is sayin jeeeeze today.

.....jeeeze.

i'm not. i said "jeezezzzz". as did pete, i might add.

If you want to be fucked...sign a deal with a major. They've actually come out of it very well - if they didn't have a gold record, they probably would've been better off on the dole. Without the groupies, of course. Also - spending $500k on a record..... you deserve it.

they're a made up band, in case anyone was wondering - but the figures come from "reputable" "industry" "types", apparently.

Yeah, I was thinking it would seem that I thought they were a real band. The figures are spot on. Except for the royalty rate - that's probably a little over-generous, if anything.

They'd also get 8c per song mechanical royalties ... or more likely 75% of that (apparently most contracts say you only get 75% of the statutory mech royalty rate)

So if there's 10 songs on the album, that's another 300 grand or so, or around 200 grand after the manager's cut ... of course, if the band has a publisher, 50% of that will go to them, and the band will get nothing until the publishing advance is paid off

The article also ignores all the public performance money that would come from radio/tv play (which will be a significant amount if you've got a gold record, I reckon)

So don't worry, fuckers, if you make a record that goes gold in the US, you WILL make a good living out of it, even if you do act the fool and spend way too much on everything

What about gigs?

Right, I havent thought about what kinda cash is involved, but won;t these guys be obliged to tour & gig the shite out of the release?

$40,500 each album royalties +

Approx $3,500 entry level signed act fee (taken from http://www.clearchannelcollegeentertainment.com/SearchResults.asp?Artist=%) for 100 dates over 1 year = $350,000
- say 40% deductions due to promoters etc = 210,000
- split 4 ways

= $52,500

= $93,000

Not a bad year, not taking in merchandising, interviews and pocket money...

Or bands could just be sensible like Oasis were(i know it's a contradiction in terms) They got a 50% cut of all their creation stuff apparantly. Clever bananas

Equipment, roadies, sound engineer, tour bus, hotels, food, per diems, drugs, smokes, booze, equipment hire/repair... the list goes on. Very, VERY few bands make any kind of money from touring. Of course, all these figures don't take into account the amount of money the Rec. Companies pay in bribes to radio stations to get the stuff heard in the first place ( mostly an american phenomena - for now ).
Major record companies are almost the definition of the word wasteful. Most of the top A&R guys get basic salarys well upwards of $200k - excluding bonuses, cars etc.
It is not uncommon for an artist to move from a major to an indie, sell 10% of the number of records and make the same amount of money . What does that tell ya?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back