Recommend some DubStep (1 Viewer)

benga,skream,coki,kode 9 are all decent and i guess are more typical sounding dubstep.
those souljazz dubstep compilations would also be a good place to start.i don't own either but anytime i've spotted them in a record shop they look like a good introduction.
skull disco stuff is the more interesting stuff i find and definitely worth picking up a few things from that label as has already been mentioned.

The two grime albums from rephlex are were I started my dubstep wanderings.

cat156cd0.jpg

and

98922_01.jpg

Prefer the 1st one personally.

Taz Buckfaster stuff is savage as well.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2IWt8bDElQ"]YouTube - Taz Buckfaster - Inside Job[/ame]

Mix by Crysis - all tracks are by Irish producers.

Tracklist:
T-Woc - Johnny the Fox
Kanobi - Skitter
Radikal Guru - Conspiracy Dub
Drokkr - Go and Beep
Kanobi - Canpoy
Boxcutter - Sidetrak
Crysis - Speed Bump
Fono One - Z Axis
Major Grave - oh boy
2Bit - Sub Ness
The Errorist
A-Force - Laserface
Crysis - Flux Capacitor
Crysis - Super Vilain
SC - Bleeper
Steve D - Nose Dive
T-Woc - Believe
Beckett - Feeling

+1 for T-Woc and Boxcutter flying the flag.
Burial is amazing but not really dubstep, kind of like an ambient album made by somebody who could only sample dubstep records.
Benga and Skream are a hit and miss.
I would defo check out the Souljazz compilations. Some great dubstep and then just some great other stuff too.

Burial-Untrue and Benga-Diary of an afro warrior did it for me. Boxcutter also seems to have some nice moments and i fink he's playing with the Jimmy cake there in August. Dubstep seems to be fairly popular with the young adultuns these days. Some good stuff out there but the whole repetition of that pulsing in and out of time bass can grate a bit ater a while, partially because everyone seems to do the same thing with it

Some good stuff out there but the whole repetition of that pulsing in and out of time bass can grate a bit ater a while, partially because everyone seems to do the same thing with it
You only have to look at the amount of mixes that go up on dubstepforum.com to see how dull and generic the sound has got as dubstep has grown in popularity. But the same thing happens all genres of electronic music after a couple of years but there always are innovative producers doing something different with the sound, bringing in other influences or just writing deadly tracks.

You only have to look at the amount of mixes that go up on dubstepforum.com to see how dull and generic the sound has got as dubstep has grown in popularity. But the same thing happens all genres of electronic music after a couple of years but there always are innovative producers doing something different with the sound, bringing in other influences or just writing deadly tracks.

Totally, sifting through is the pickle though. Laziness on my part

True. Lot of rubbish out there. Really only 5 or 6 dubstep labels who's output I pay attention to
these days. Anything thing put out on Hyper Dub, Hot Flush, Hessle Audio...etc as of late has
been excellent and not a hint of that generic bass sound.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

not a hint of that generic bass sound.

All excellent tracks but the generic bass sound can still be brilliant especially out on a good sound system. Like this for example....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jRVqyVzrsU"]YouTube - Reso - If Ya Can't Beat Em[/ame]

thats deadly
Reso is consistently brilliant and his new EP Heavy Arms is outstanding.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiwjEpevXFs"]YouTube - RESO - BEASTS IN THE BASEMENT[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LWMz9jyw3s"]YouTube - RESO - BUSTED CRUNK[/ame]

All excellent tracks but the generic bass sound can still be brilliant especially out on a good sound system. Like this for example....

Ah yeah, I don't mind it in moderation, especially when out. Just meant that dubstep has
progressed a lot over the last 12—18 months and that sound isn't necessarily its most
distinguishing feature anymore...for me anyway.

Ebola has been doing some great dubsteppy stuff of late as well, his set at bangface a few months back was stand out for me. I find he always throws his own unique elements into it.

Great 20 min mix here for Dazed and Confused: http://www.dazeddigital.com/article/4007/1/WrongMusicsPlansforGlade2009

(There's also one there by shitmat...the usual pop/pisstake mashup)

Ebola's Predator EP is great as well if you can find it (had a look but net-lab's link is broken). Be warned: there's as much gabber as dubstep on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back