Dublin Racist Riots (1 Viewer)

there are claims on boards that the gardai ran amok and were hassling locals who came out to gawk. videos posted.
can someone else watch those videos to confirm; that's a rabbit hole i'm not going down in a hurry.

there are claims on boards that the gardai ran amok and were hassling locals who came out to gawk. videos posted.
can someone else watch those videos to confirm; that's a rabbit hole i'm not going down in a hurry.
Seeing as the gardai didn't seem to throw a single punch during the Dublin riots I find "ran amok" a little bit hard to believe

Someone from Gript says she identified herself as a journalist to the guards and she was pepper sprayed.

Obviously not pepper sprayed because she was from Gript, but in spite of identifying herself as such.

Whatever the truth of the matter is, it's probably available to find on telegram.

Beyond crisis point now with these people festering discontent and racism into our society. I'd like to see regular speeches from Government now addressing how International Protection works. It sucks for all involved, but here are the facts. No great conspiracy, it's just difficult.

Someone from Gript says she identified herself as a journalist to the guards and she was pepper sprayed.

Obviously not pepper sprayed because she was from Gript, but in spite of identifying herself as such.

Whatever the truth of the matter is, it's probably available to find on telegram.
Gript sounds like a sex toy range

I'd like to see regular speeches from Government now addressing how International Protection works. It sucks for all involved, but here are the facts. No great conspiracy, it's just difficult.
I'd like to see that too, but I don't think that's the real reason that people are acting the bollix. They feel entitled to something they're not getting, and their "activism" gives them a sense of agency. Dry facts aren't gonna dissipate the emotional payoff they're getting from it

Or, to quote my own lyrics "Being reasonable is no antidote for nonsense"

Beyond crisis point now with these people festering discontent and racism into our society. I'd like to see regular speeches from Government now addressing how International Protection works. It sucks for all involved, but here are the facts. No great conspiracy, it's just difficult.

Good report with the imput of some brilliant front line groups and individuals.

I agree with you largely - people protesting international protection show over and over and over that they actually don't understand it at all, however I just don't know how you get information into the world that is sharing things like this

1714126894823.png

I agree with you largely - people protesting international protection show over and over and over that they actually don't understand it at all, however I just don't know how you get information into the world that is sharing things like this

View attachment 18611

Thats actually both frightening and hugely helpful in terms of understanding the mindset of the 'grand conspiracy'

On my experience, I've long noticed that there's a threshold effect with this shit - in that once a person buys into one facet of misinformation/conspiracy, they are far more likely to be drawn into others. Once you start believing the government wants to flood the country with baby eating muslim rapists, believing the covid was a hoax etc is not a big step

Thats actually both frightening and hugely helpful in terms of understanding the mindset of the 'grand conspiracy'

On my experience, I've long noticed that there's a threshold effect with this shit - in that once a person buys into one facet of misinformation/conspiracy, they are far more likely to be drawn into others. Once you start believing the government wants to flood the country with baby eating muslim rapists, believing the covid was a hoax etc is not a big step

I'm defaulting to my usual explanation in that it's algorythm brain. People literally cannot handle the internet at all.
I slightly think too on the communications front, the govt were for a while kinda happy that the maniacs were angry with international protection applicants rather than them, but then the horse was bolted after the time they shoulda been doing something.

I also think a very short version of it could possibly be that anything that is new and involves learning or cognitive dissonance is a conspiracy in the TLDR sense of things.

i.e

War on Farmers.
The biggest war on farmers in reality is that everyone shops in about 4-5 chain supermarkets and everyone wants everything cheap. Not going to tesco etc is too much work for most people but if there is a conspiritorial war on farmers then that is something to blame which doesn't involve personal responsibilty, learning or cognitive dissonance, so fuckit, war on farmers from nebulous force it is.

It's all very Brexity if you ask me not least the threats towards TD's. Remember when someone put a detailed plan of the home of the Tory MP Heidi Allen online giving instruction on how to break in to assassinate her at the same time as drones were flying over the house and receiving constant death threats.
Of course she did not run in the next general election.
Hard to believe in a western democracy but the same type of intimidation seems to be here now.
I noticed that a banner saying O' Gorman hates children was hung on his front gate it reminded me of the pizzagate story about H. Clinton in the US which even led to some guy going into a restaurant with a rifle.

I'm defaulting to my usual explanation in that it's algorythm brain. People literally cannot handle the internet at all.
I slightly think too on the communications front, the govt were for a while kinda happy that the maniacs were angry with international protection applicants rather than them, but then the horse was bolted after the time they shoulda been doing something.

I also think a very short version of it could possibly be that anything that is new and involves learning or cognitive dissonance is a conspiracy in the TLDR sense of things.

i.e

War on Farmers.
The biggest war on farmers in reality is that everyone shops in about 4-5 chain supermarkets and everyone wants everything cheap. Not going to tesco etc is too much work for most people but if there is a conspiritorial war on farmers then that is something to blame which doesn't involve personal responsibilty, learning or cognitive dissonance, so fuckit, war on farmers from nebulous force it is.
aye - agree with the cognitive dissonance/avoiding uncomfortable truth piece for sure

People literally cannot handle the internet at all.
This was on BOC at the weekend
They were like three topics in - like the immigration crisis and the far right lads and, the breakdown in politics, teens body image and self-esteem and so on
And the bottom of it all was internet/phones/social media etc
Like someone said it
Some reasearcher in France had tracked the deterioration in French and the rise in txtspk with the decline in political debate and the rise of the far right - like it sounded legit, I have ot read teh study

It's been a wrecking ball through society and we don't even understand it
Our brains are broken by these fucking things

This was on BOC at the weekend
They were like three topics in - like the immigration crisis and the far right lads and, the breakdown in politics, teens body image and self-esteem and so on
And the bottom of it all was internet/phones/social media etc
Like someone said it
Some reasearcher in France had tracked the deterioration in French and the rise in txtspk with the decline in political debate and the rise of the far right - like it sounded legit, I have ot read teh study

It's been a wrecking ball through society and we don't even understand it
Our brains are broken by these fucking things

somewhat technical neuroscientific take on this: stress = inflammation= impaired cognitive processes = impaired decision making = more stress, and effectively social media acts as a massive accelerator/multiplier to this process at a societal level:

not a neuroscientist - but the ones who I work with seemed to think the model had some validity (they are very interested in allostatic load & cognition).

Paging @Cornu Ammonis

Isn't part of the problem that once consumed by this madness it becomes pure zealotry, and I don't know if there's ever been a successful comeback from that kind of fanaticism. How do you either reason with, or bring people back?

The few conversations I've ever had with someone in the grip of it have left me reeling, and there are no rebuttals. Once they start bringing out the 'George Soros is injecting nanobots into you via the vaccine' etc., all I can do is nod, and try and wriggle out of it.

Once they start bringing out the 'George Soros is injecting nanobots into you via the vaccine' etc., all I can do is nod, and try and wriggle out of it.
I got a variation on this from the local health food shop owner, and said "I've been working in technology for nearly 30 years, and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that nanobots in your blood broadcasting information about you via 5G is impossible"

... and he said "hmm ok fair enough". Not sure I convinced him, but definitely gave him pause ... and then I have known the guy for 20 years, maybe that helps

Isn't part of the problem that once consumed by this madness it becomes pure zealotry, and I don't know if there's ever been a successful comeback from that kind of fanaticism. How do you either reason with, or bring people back?

The few conversations I've ever had with someone in the grip of it have left me reeling, and there are no rebuttals. Once they start bringing out the 'George Soros is injecting nanobots into you via the vaccine' etc., all I can do is nod, and try and wriggle out of it.
Don't we all have some version of this though?
Like GMO foods and mobile phones were gonna give us cancer?
The media are in bed with the politicians (when teh meida bump up against our worldview)
Not exactly the same thing, but we all have some comforting thing we tell ourselves to align being alive with the shit we face

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back