JohnnyStress on Telly (3 Viewers)

Swap cars for talking about shit that rarely gets done and 50 s america for late 70's/early 80's usually US or UK.
Considering the only real world impact punk has had is on how the media is used and how marketing is used to sell and buy. I don't really think punk has had that great of an impact.
Elvis Presley or Gene Vincent have probably had way more impact on the world.
Most people "grow out" of punk.
if you talk to people who were around when punk started ,you d realise that punk grabbed back music for people who wanted music like elvis and mr vincent, real music lplayed by real people!!!!
You dont really think punks had that much of an impact?, feminism and anarchism were the talk of the select few before punk, the CND symbol was almost unknown b4 CRASS got a hold of it,rock against racism would simply not have happened without it ,how many people were turned on to vegterianism by punk, to quote mr Strummer " real punks like the mafia once you re in its damn hard to get out of"

If I were home I would post a picture of my dad in the 50's. He had the best hair. Him and his friends had matching jackets they couldn't wear to school because everyone thought they were a gang. He got kicked out of school one St. Patrick's Day because he dyed is blonde hair green with food colouring. He still listens to nothing but 50's music and now that he is retired, drives around in his classic car with the fuzzy dice hanging off the mirror with music blaring. No tats though.

You dont really think punks had that much of an impact?, feminism and anarchism were the talk of the select few before punk, ... ,how many people were turned on to vegterianism by punk,

People talking a lot about feminism, anarchism and vegetarianism?

I think Gary wanted examples of things that had an impact in a positive sense....

if you talk to people who were around when punk started ,you d realise that punk grabbed back music for people who wanted music like elvis and mr vincent, real music lplayed by real people!!!!
You dont really think punks had that much of an impact?, feminism and anarchism were the talk of the select few before punk, the CND symbol was almost unknown b4 CRASS got a hold of it,rock against racism would simply not have happened without it ,how many people were turned on to vegterianism by punk, to quote mr Strummer " real punks like the mafia once you re in its damn hard to get out of"

Please stand in the next election. I will vote for you.

since i do my thesis work in trinity aimless wanders are always a welcome respite from actually getting anything done.including looking through records i can't afford..i'd say a good 40.if you walk around town lots you encapsulate a certain set of values that means your family won't break up though.

So more of a flaneur, jesus, couldn't even get into a 20th century subculture like. :rolleyes: :p

One thing the show got right was the prosperity of the '50s being the result of the Second World War, with the result of that prosperity being subcultures like rockabilly, and with the result of THAT being the beginning of other subcultures' antipathy towards the mainstream and the norms. As someone pointed out, punk didn't start with the Sex Pistols, it started in the '50s with these lads, with the teddy boys, later on with the mods, soul boys, etc.

If you're talking about self-sufficiency and equality, again, the Second World War was the turning point for women's equality and young people getting jobs. After they'd gotten a taste for freedom on the home front, working outside the home and recognising their own strenght, many of them refused to go back to kitchen and said fuck this, I'm having a bit of equality. Millennia of gender-conditioning doesn't change in a couple of decades, but women had a far more equal and threatening role (to the status quo) in these subcultures, that was every bit (and I 'd personally say far far more) as much a part of feminism as Andrea Dworkin or whoever. It's all connected and a superior attitude gets you nowhere, except further divided for the benefit of the cunts at the top.

Damone, punk was a symptom & catalyst, not a cause. Johnny Rotten and the boys in the right place at the right time. That shit had been building up for a long time and if it wasn't "punk" it would have been something else loud, snotty and youth-orientated (okay, whatever it was it would have been punk, but you know what I mean!).

one thing i really dont get is the whole "white picket fense","honey im home" kinda stuff.Surely the Rebelious teenagers of the 50's which they model themselves on where a reaction to the american way of life of the 50's.Or at least would have wanted nothing to do with it.

One thing the show got right was the prosperity of the '50s being the result of the Second World War

In fairness, it barely did that because it was a 1/2 hour silly puff piece. Your post above was more interesting than some chick talking about her tattoos of cats and love of her clothes.*

*No offense, I'm sure she is a very nice person.

obviously this is no reflection on the rockabilly thing itself, rather the naiveness of one girl, but i found it pretty hilarious when yer wan on the grass was saying about the 50's being so much cooler, and there being burger joints everywhere and stuff like that.haha, not in ireland love.

Fuck it, if you wanna catch Johnny Stress & Aces Wild their playing the Stompin' Ground on Sat August 9th. I'm sure he'll answer all your questions then!
labcfa85198397f2ba9fe6fje0.jpg

The Sabrejets & The Wanktones next week also

l6cc4b4ae75487b1df38219li9.jpg

one thing i really dont get is the whole "white picket fense","honey im home" kinda stuff.Surely the Rebelious teenagers of the 50's which they model themselves on where a reaction to the american way of life of the 50's.Or at least would have wanted nothing to do with it.
has it got something to do with the last image of the U.S. as a wholesome rightous place b4 kennedy got blasted that winston smiths always goim on about it,or maybe 50 s tv which a lot of folx believed was american reality in europe,
sorry for poking the gaping holes in you re point Gary,im off to join Fianna fail ,seamus brennan s left a spot 4 me

The young one was a 100%, dyed-in-the-wool, genuine Total Fuckin Eejit. I reckon people watching that who are actually into rockabilly for more than five minutes were well ticked off that she was given so much airtime. The entire impression was of someone trying to convince themselves of their own fantasy about themselves. Burger joints and white picket fences, I Love Lucy, one car in the driveway ("sometoimes two, loike"), she obviously didn't have a sniff of a clue.

Those gigs look good, this kind of stuff is massive over in Copenhagen and meself and Ian went to a few of these night before, was always good for a laugh. Loads of gorgeous well-dressed ladies, sharp-as-fuck lads, even a fuckin' brawl one night when they mixed up a rockabilly night and Roger Miret. Might don the old leather jacket & have a look in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back