Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
Just saw this on RTE...:(

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2006/0330/mcgahernj.html

Writer John McGahern dies, aged 72
Tributes have been paid to the author John McGahern, who died today in a Dublin hospital. He was 72. One of Ireland's most celebrated authors, his autobiography, 'Memoir', was published last year and he was the recipient of the Literature Prize at the South Bank Awards in London in January.
His other works included 'That They May Face the Rising Sun', 'Amongst Women' and 'The Barracks'.
Born in Dublin in 1934 and raised in Leitrim and Roscommon, John McGahern first came to prominence in the 1960s with the novel 'The Dark', which was banned.
After the publication of the book the author was dismissed from his job as a teacher in Clontarf in Dublin.
'Amongst Women' was nominated for the Booker Prize in 1990, and was filmed as a television miniseries in 1998.
For the past three decades he had lived with his second wife, Madeline Green, in Co Leitrim.
Speaking today following his death, President Mary McAleese said: "With the passing of John McGahern, Ireland has lost an outstanding literary talent."
Paying tribute to John McGahern, An Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, said: "John was one of Ireland's finest writers ever. His beautiful use of language in telling and retelling the stories of his time and place, are the enduring testimony of his life and his talent."
Olive Braiden, Chair of the Arts Council, of which John McGahern was a member, said: "John was without question, one of Ireland's most gifted and outstanding storytellers. His brilliant, touching and often witty prose never failed to move readers."
"He was wise and kind, ever sensitive to the needs of artists and dogged in his determination at the Council table to improve the situation for artists in the country. We are devastated," she continued.

That is so weird. Only five minutes ago i took out that they may face the rising sun to begin reading it. I saw a documentary about him recently - he seemed such a gentle man.

isn't it? just a gorgeous lovely read.

shitepipe said:
Shite. One of my favourite writers. That They May Face the Rising Sun is just perfection. And he sat beside me da in school in roscommon....

RIP

I loved That They May Face the Rising Sun. Has anyone read Amongst
Women ? Didnt know til today that his books were banned here at one point..

coraline said:
I loved That They May Face the Rising Sun. Has anyone read Amongst
Women ? Didnt know til today that his books were banned here at one point..

Amongst Women is excellent, the same simple style as Rising Sun but alot more claustrophobic and dark, based as it is on the tensions within one family.

he was quite anti-church in the 50s and 60s which was obviously a no-no, hence his books werent fit for consumption. And he had to leave his teaching job...

shitepipe said:
Amongst Women is excellent, the same simple style as Rising Sun but alot more claustrophobic and dark, based as it is on the tensions within one family.

he was quite anti-church in the 50s and 60s which was obviously a no-no, hence his books werent fit for consumption. And he had to leave his teaching job...

Hmmm, I can empathise slightly. I still have to conceal my anti-church ness in school a lot, have spent years biting my tongue and pretending to participate in May Processions, Mass, Ashes on Ash Wednesday etc etc.

I work in a small school with 4 other teachers who all go to Mass religiously ( ! ) and then talk about the sermons on Monday morning. I feel like an alien. A few years ago I got totally tied up in knots trying to explain the Easter story to a class of inner city junior infants. They just didnt get it at all.

Must read some of his other books. His recent memoir was supposed to be excellent too...

I've never met anyone who'd read That They May Face the Rising Sun. I picked it up off a shelf in a friend's house a couple of years ago and I was just stunned at how good it is. Delighted to see the love for it in this thread!

Strange-- I was just thinking about That They May Face the Rising Sun today...must be something in the air. Probably time for a reread

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back