What happens.. (1 Viewer)

Unclealo

Uncle Alo
Website
www.thirteenthlock.net
When the oil runs out? (this should be on the politics board?)

Will total anarchy engulf the world? Or will the oil companies unveil all the practial alternative energy sources they've been supressing/ sitting on for years?

6000 SUX said:
When the oil runs out? (this should be on the politics board?)

Will total anarchy engulf the world? Or will the oil companies unveil all the practial alternative energy sources they've been supressing/ sitting on for years?

Currently, none of the practical alternative energy sources can be achieved/realised without the use of oil or natural gas.

One thing to remember is that as the oil does run out, and the value goes through the roof, the pockets of oil that are currently deemed too expensive to extract will become financially viable. This will only temporarily delay the end though.
Thing is, by the time that does happen, the world will be in the biggest, blackest financial depression imaginable.

Life After The Oil Crash describes some pretty horrific scenarios.

I was talking to alot of friends about this recently.

How does one go about making your home energy sustainable or as energy sustainable as possible?

How can you convert a diesel engine to run on chipper oil? (This is apparently very cheap to do)

RTE recently showed a news piece on rape seed oil and its use as a mixer with petrol or a standalone replacement for petrol (Aparently it can work in newer petrol engines on its own). I'd be curious to see how sustainable rape seed oil is..

It doesn't matter really.
Fertiliser & pesticides are both dependent on oil, as is the process that extracts the oil from the grains or vegetables.
The world has become so dependent on it that when it runs out we're back to a dark ages scenario.
Imagine, pretty much everything you use or eat is as a result or cheap oil.
The more you think about it the worse it seems.
What's worse is that the onus is being put on the public to feel guilty about their consumption, despite their having little real choice in the matter.
The 'recycle & conserve' mantra that we hear everyday is a headf**k, when it's industry and government that defines our choices.

Further to the point about industry above:

If you never had a plastic bag would you want one? Before plastic bags was your average shopper crying out for plastic bags/
Nah, someone, somewhere in industry decided plastic bags would be a good idea.
Same applies to all packaging etc...

6000 SUX said:
I was talking to alot of friends about this recently.

How does one go about making your home energy sustainable or as energy sustainable as possible?

How can you convert a diesel engine to run on chipper oil? (This is apparently very cheap to do)

RTE recently showed a news piece on rape seed oil and its use as a mixer with petrol or a standalone replacement for petrol (Aparently it can work in newer petrol engines on its own). I'd be curious to see how sustainable rape seed oil is..
of course the problem is that when/if crops that can be used as alternative fuel sources become more in demand, they'll probably have a huge negative effect on the environment, through irresponsible farming etc. I was reading about the increased demand for soya bean for all kinds of things including cattle feed and how it's prompting unchecked destruction of the amazon in brazil in the name of more land for crops. someone was telling me some sugar cane related story that's similar as well, but I can't really remember that one..

one thing that has fascinated me about all this oil business, because I've thought about it a bit (and you're right aoboa, the more you think about it the worse it seems) is air travel. I seriously doubt you can run a plane on rapeseed oil.

plug said:
millions (billions?) of us will die and the rest of us will go back to being farmers

funny that. Many sophisticates of these modern times would refer to farmers as thick, uncultured pricks who "feed beefburgers to swans". Little do they know that they soon might have to sell there blackberries to grow the fuckers.

plug said:
one thing that has fascinated me about all this oil business, because I've thought about it a bit (and you're right aoboa, the more you think about it the worse it seems) is air travel. I seriously doubt you can run a plane on rapeseed oil.

I suppose it how best to use the remaining oil/ dillute its use with other alternatives that's left to prolong everything.

6000 SUX said:

You don't need to do anything, just chuck some veg cooking oil in and you're away. As you have to pay tax on the fuel and pour in the cooking oil which takes ages it doesn't work out any cheaper than diesel.

During the petrol crisis in Britain a few years back (which was only a crisis as loads of dicks mobbed the petrol stations in panic) loads of people used veg oil in their diesel vehicles. The tax men were looking out for anyone whose car smelt of chip fat.

Lefty Frizzell said:
funny that. Many sophisticates of these modern times would refer to farmers as thick, uncultured pricks who "feed beefburgers to swans". Little do they know that they soon might have to sell there blackberries to grow the fuckers.
alan partridge? :)

hanley said:
i don't think any converting needs to be done to a diesel engine for this.you just gotta convert the chipper oil to biodiesel in a relativly simple reaction

www.biodiesel.org
you're such a lab nerd bob! :D

speaking of sustainable energy, duncan and co. briefly addressed the whole issue of ireland and wind power on eco eye in the last couple of weeks, and some experts reckon there are millions of euro worth of energy blowing over ireland every year. in fact there's apparently enough to create a surplus for the country's needs if tackled properly. enough in some opinions to actually be in a position to export to other countries. as it stands currently, according to that program, ireland is actually the most oil dependent country in the eu. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back