• Watchers 0

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Don't forget to get out and exercise your democratic right tomorrow.

The polling stations only open from 9am-9pm, which makes life difficult for those of us who leave for work at 8am and go to college till 9.30pm. oh well.

http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/voteno.html

(Next time you're on Google, do a search for 'Alliance For A No Vote' and see what comes up as a "sponsored link" down the right of the page...)

i'm just moved out of home last august and me ma didn't register me this year when the forms came 'round so me has no vote...

i feel

hmmm, disenfranchised - thanks ma

pete (05 Mar, 2002 06:42 p.m.):
Don't forget to get out and exercise your democratic right tomorrow.

The polling stations only open from 9am-9pm, which makes life difficult for those of us who leave for work at 8am and go to college till 9.30pm. oh well.

http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/voteno.html

(Next time you're on Google, do a search for 'Alliance For A No Vote' and see what comes up as a "sponsored link" down the right of the page...)

very odd

lorcanzo (06 Mar, 2002 09:33 a.m.):
shit loads of people are away at college

therefore shitloads of people can't get home

therefore shitloads of our educated citizens won't vote

therefore leaving more people who don't understand / don't have an opinion

clever fucker that bertie....

why don't they register in the town where they live and got to college in??

thats what I did.

thats what most "educated citizens' would do.

ALSO I've two voting cards, so I could vote twice. Obviously I agree with the policy of giving people like me more votes then plebs like you lot... but its pretty shitty organisation.

Changing where you're registered isn't any hassle. Its a really straightforward, short form that you fill in and post. You can get it in a post office. I did it about three weeks ago, but obviously that was too late, so I'm not going to get to vote.

..That sounded almost like an ad from the referendum commision, but anyhoo...

lorcanzo (06 Mar, 2002 10:50 a.m.):
it students we're talking here...
saying the word hassle to much hassle.....
:)

so it wouldn't really be that "clever fucker Bertie's" fault that these students won't get to vote is it??

I don't mean to be a prick about this, but I'm sick of people going round making insane statements and coming up with crazy things to feel more hard done by

its a referendum, at then end of the day its up to each individual to make their own decision wether to vote or not, and if so how to vote

conor (06 Mar, 2002 09:26 a.m.):
i'm just moved out of home last august and me ma didn't register me this year when the forms came 'round so me has no vote...

i feel

hmmm, disenfranchised - thanks ma

I actually can't believe you sat down and typed that - HOW OLD ARE YOU!?
Do you send your washing home to be done as well?? Does she call round to you every day and cook your dinner as well?

Pantone247 (06 Mar, 2002 11:20 a.m.):

I don't mean to be a prick about this, but I'm sick of people going round making insane statements and coming up with crazy things to feel more hard done by

its a referendum, at then end of the day its up to each individual to make their own decision wether to vote or not, and if so how to vote

Speaking from personal experience of going to college in Dublin and hailing from a provincial town,I never registered in Dublin as I never knew for sure where I was going to be living year to year.

The low turn-out for the last referendum speaks for itself. Alot of people in this country do not give a shit. Other countries have compulsary voting. Perhaps we need it here.

Postal voting for students and the like would definately bring about a rise in the turn out.

Also why the fuck can't polling take place at the weekend?

well mr pantone sir:
firstly i don't think its very well known or advertised that you can change where you register. if you look the information maybe available and the process maybe simple, but i don't think many people would think about it until it was either too late or decide not to bother.
secondly clever fucker Bertie and the rest are not making it any easier for people to vote, what with the lateness of the campaign and the confusion of the advertising and posters attached at every pole. adding the inability to vote in your area to this list makes for a badly organised referendum.
lastly, i don't think i was 'insane' or 'crazy' before in this thread, as i do believe that the voting system is far too messy. no one is disputing that in a referendum everyone is responsible for their own vote, but if our ability either through lack of knowledge or availability is impaired by lack of information, as i think it has been, then there is a problem.

the only thing we don't have to look for in this country is something to give out about.

weekend voting won't happen because it would cost an absolute fortune to pay all them people weekend overtime rates. probably.

the next big thing is the introduction of electronic voting - no more pencils and paper, you just press a button. It'll be trialled in some constituencies in the upcoming election. One fear is that it will alienate people with no computer experience or people with a lower eduction level. Joe Higgins in particular has been making this point.

(A side effect is that you'll no longer have the option to spoil the ballot paper - you can vote for the candidates named, or you can choose "abstain".)

lorcanzo (06 Mar, 2002 11:59 a.m.):
adding the inability to vote in your area to this list makes for a badly organised referendum.
lastly, i don't think i was 'insane' or 'crazy' before in this thread, as i do believe that the voting system is far too messy. no one is disputing that in a referendum everyone is responsible for their own vote, but if our ability either through lack of knowledge or availability is impaired by lack of information, as i think it has been, then there is a problem.

what exactly do you mean about the 'inability to vote in your area'? Everyone has the ability to vote in their area - they just have to get off their arses and make a quick trip to the post office - hardly a marathon task or one which requires the skills of a mammy or a lot of hard work and 'messiness'.

You're right - we do have to take responsibility for our actions - which include voting. Once again, it's incredibly easy to register to vote - and actually most people are aware of how easy it is that I've ever spoken to about it.

WHAT!!!

jesus christ,

" i don't think its very well known or advertised that you can change where you register"

please, what a childish attitude, how do you think people who move houses register?? the magic voting fairys?? Athlone Institute of Technology''s Student Union every year provided the forms for students to register, then would collect and process the forms... maybe you should contact your student union to do similar?? the net result was students were registered AND the SU could go to local councils looking for improvements to facilities in Stutent areas and have the weight of these newly registered voters behind them. Local Authoritys could no longer ignore studnets as there was a risk they might get voted out by the same students.

"but if our ability either through lack of knowledge or availability is impaired by lack of information, as i think it has been, then there is a problem.

I agree that the lunatic postering campaign was nuts, but if you took the time to read the paper with an open mind, or read the information booklets that were sent it was all there in black and white, not the cool way to vote, or the way everyone else is voting, but the facts.. your on your own after that.

the only thing we don't have to look for in this country is something to give out about.'

how typicaly Irish and apathetic

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back