Unemployed by Surprise (2 Viewers)

Donkey OJ

was made redundant yesterday. completely out of the blue. complete kick in the teeth. typical tech startup with funding issues. shud have seen it coming but as usual it was like - it could never happen to me. wasnt particularly emotionally attached to the place. i was very emotionally attached to the monthly paycheque tho. anyone have similar stories to share and how they survived the culture shock of setting out for work 1 morning and not setting out for work the next? gonna spend today posting cvs. joy.

hey, that reeeally sucks. but look at is this way, there's a reason for everything and maybe this might give you the push to go to Canada now?

Donkey OJ said:
was made redundant yesterday. completely out of the blue. complete kick in the teeth. typical tech startup with funding issues. shud have seen it coming but as usual it was like - it could never happen to me. wasnt particularly emotionally attached to the place. i was very emotionally attached to the monthly paycheque tho. anyone have similar stories to share and how they survived the culture shock of setting out for work 1 morning and not setting out for work the next? gonna spend today posting cvs. joy.
kinda happened to me at the start of august. had been away for the previous two and half weeks. trotted into work on the 3rd of august only to be informed that the company had ceased operating. it was a small, badly run software company and i got another job within a few days.

you'll be ok. keep the ball low. up the royal.

shit buzz, sorry to hear that.

although, it could be a good thing. first things first, sign for the dole or PRSI credits at the least. Take a few days/weeks gathering your shit and putting your c.v. together. I don't know what your profession is but the jobs market seems fairly healthy.

or you could emigrate somewhere amazingly beautiful.

yeah. i've just signed on. thats the first thing the accounts girl handing me my final cheque suggested too. to be honest i was planning to move soon enough anyway. it sucks when the choice is taken away from you tho and they say its much easier to get a job when you're in a job. oh well. i'm in the full of my health, its a lovely day and my girlfriends at work. time to dish up the battenburg :)

I wonder if ronnie corbett the porter/usher/fuckwit still works in the dole on gardiner st. ANnoying little fucker he was.

Had a run in with him when I was there, took a ticket, waited(and waited and waited) decided to go out for a smoke as the ticket number hadnt gone down. It was 15 mins before closing and I was coming back in the door and he says ' sorry we're closed', I was like 'but ive been waiting nearly an hour' he was like 'come back tomorrow', I was like 'fuck off im going nowhere'(whilst jamming my foot inside the door so he couldnt close it.
Asked to speak to management so he got some other big idiot to come down who didnt actually say anything. I said I wasnt budging, eventually got let in as his 'Ill call the Gards' failed to impress me due to what could I be arrested for, going outside for a smoke, calling a dole office prick a prick.

Got my fuckin card stamped or whatever it was I was doing there and got a job a coupla weeks later so never had to go back there to get treated like a fuckin retard because im claiming what some lazy fuckers think theyre entitled to and ive paid for.

.....Redundancy is application forms hell. Youre entitled to so much but you have to write novels and wait months to actually get the money.

Good luck OJ, something will work out.

jesus - my dole office experience was so much nicer than that! there was a post menopausal soft spoken woman behind the counter who filled my forms out for me. i got in early and there was no one else in the place and i think she took a shine to me. you know when you've got a friend working in a chippers and they gave you extra chips any time you went in after the dishco? i'm hoping she'll fill my welfare bag to the brim and i'll start receiving single mothers allowance and all that other good stuff. proly not tho. thanks for all your chin up advice.

Donkey OJ said:
jesus - my dole office experience was so much nicer than that! there was a post menopausal soft spoken woman behind the counter who filled my forms out for me. i got in early and there was no one else in the place and i think she took a shine to me. you know when you've got a friend working in a chippers and they gave you extra chips any time you went in after the dishco? i'm hoping she'll fill my welfare bag to the brim and i'll start receiving single mothers allowance and all that other good stuff. proly not tho. thanks for all your chin up advice.

Sent you that comp yesterday so you've loads of time to appreciate it properly now... such a bonus I know.

In hindsight putting [hobo] on the label mightn't have been the best move considering your sudden unemployment... sorry in advance for that.

Being semi-unemployed at the moment I can tell you its a good time to look for jobs - loads of nixers floating around at the moment if you don't want to tie yourself down to anything longterm.

Pantone247 said:
I've never been on the dole... I feel like I'm missing out... :(
ah jaysus you missed a golden era :pre celtic tiger when we were all skint and Mr. Prunty's offie in Phibsboro used to take butter vouchers for flagons!

hard to be on the scratcher now that most people are flash gits!

I pity anyone going to sign on for the first time these days. I stroll in and they treat me like a long lost son...

happened to me about two years ago last christmas. went to the christmas party and then the next morning loadds of us got phonecalls from HR stating that we'd been made redundant.

dont worry though, theres jobs out there. took me about 3 months, but i got the one im in now ( a local government job for life), where ive been made permanent so it worked out better in the long run

egg_ said:
Nixers? Where are you finding em spady? Hook me up please

Just word of mouth things... telling everybody I know that I'm mildly capable of designing websites is helping - especially people you wouldn't normally consider worth telling.

I've got some updating work aswell. Just uploading photos and text; it can be a little tedious but it pays alright because if people are getting 'proper' companies to do it they're getting quoted fucking ridiculous amounts - much easier for them to throw some cash to some dude as a nixer.

Basically, I've noticed that the whole broadband explosion thingy is making the general public a lot more interested in the web. Anyone starting a business thinks they need web presence - so these are good people to look out for obviously.

Someone told me recently how much the main web design companies charge and I nearly choked. There's a lot of people who just want simple designs and they're willing to wait a little longer aswell because they're getting it so cheap.

I'm far from the best designer in the world but what I do is suitable for what some people are looking for at the moment which is really just a basic web presence.

Also... doing samples for free (like a free no obligation consultation) helps. I've done a lot of stuff for free!

spady said:
Sent you that comp yesterday so you've loads of time to appreciate it properly now... such a bonus I know.

In hindsight putting [hobo] on the label mightn't have been the best move considering your sudden unemployment... sorry in advance for that.

Being semi-unemployed at the moment I can tell you its a good time to look for jobs - loads of nixers floating around at the moment if you don't want to tie yourself down to anything longterm.
was the littlest hobo unemployed? spose he was if you dont count doing gods work as a job:). cheers for the compilation. looking forward to it already. i'm not absolutely strapped for cash yet so i'm gonna take my time and hopefully get something decent closer to home. [cut to me in 6 months selling my wares down the local pool club]. i havent had time off in a while so i'm counting it as a blessing in the disguise of abject career disaster. books to read, people to catch up with, "live at 3" videos to be rewatched. i'm walking around my gaff barefoot listening to tunes loudly and its all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back