Tonight: Indymedia and SIPTU present "Friend or Foe" (1 Viewer)

Antrophe

Indymedia and SIPTU present "Friend or Foe", the opening film for a monthly screening night (on the last Thursday of the month in Liberty Hall).

Friend or Foe documents the bitter struggle of contracted workers at KT (Korean Telecommunication) against globalisation. Under the imperatives of structural adjustment, KT forced workers to work under "non-regular" contracts at lower pay, heightened job insecurity and limited legal protection vis-à-vis regularly employed workers. When the company announced its new "downsizing" plan in 2000, they fired 7,000 contract workers. The targeted workers launched a new union and waged a bitter struggle. Friend or Foe exposes the serious situation imposed by globalisation on workers compelled to accept temporary status and provides critical analysis of the weaknesses of the current labour movement. Directed by award-winning female director Jiyoung Lee, who won the Best Documentary prize at the 2002 Pusan International Film Festival.

Admission is only €5. Film starts at 7pm. Duration 89 minutes. Korean with English subtitles.

Please come and support Indymedia Ireland.
Related Link: http://www.lnp89.org

" I want those who get to know me, to become admirers or my enemies"

adamant-764872.jpg

Antrophe said:
Friend or Foe exposes the serious situation imposed by globalisation on workers compelled to accept temporary status and provides critical analysis of the weaknesses of the current labour movement

i'd like to see that but would they have had their jobs in the first place if it wasn't for globalisation?

is that the enemy?

broken arm said:
i'd like to see that but would they have had their jobs in the first place if it wasn't for globalisation?

is that the enemy?
Ah here, do we enter into an argument about the distinct modes of production operating in the guise of late capitalism now or do we shelve the rethoric? The Victorian era had its telecom workers in the guise of telegraph. The globalised era is dependent upon them, the knowledge economy as its aphex has the exchange of signs and symbols (progammes, codes and words..) but the mechenism of this exchange is dependent upon technological revolutions which were intiated by the nation states, such as ARPNET ie the net which has a military function as its origin. Who created the military - but the state prior to globalisation. So if your question is would telecom workers exist prior to globalisation then the answer is yes. Their use may have changed, but their existence is undoubted.

Antrophe said:
Ah here, do we enter into an argument about the distinct modes of production operating in the guise of late capitalism now or do we shelve the rethoric? The Victorian era had its telecom workers in the guise of telegraph. The globalised era is dependent upon them, the knowledge economy as its aphex has the exchange of signs and symbols (progammes, codes and words..) but the mechenism of this exchange is dependent upon technological revolutions which were intiated by the nation states, such as ARPNET ie the net which has a military function as its origin. Who created the military - but the state prior to globalisation. So if your question is would telecom workers exist prior to globalisation then the answer is yes. Their use may have changed, but their existence is undoubted.

here, don't get all library on my ass :D

functional units can do what ever the system tells them? no choice, diversity etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back