"They told me, 'Stop faking'." (1 Viewer)

jane

Website
www.ittybittyhearingtrumpet.wordpress.com
This made me fucking cry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/nyregion/13detain.html?_r=2&hp=&oref=slogin&pagewanted=all

Ill and in Pain, Detainee Dies in U.S. Hands
By NINA BERNSTEIN
Published: August 12, 2008

He was 17 when he came to New York from Hong Kong in 1992 with his parents and younger sister, eyeing the skyline like any newcomer. Fifteen years later, Hiu Lui Ng was a New Yorker: a computer engineer with a job in the Empire State Building, a house in Queens, a wife who is a United States citizen and two American-born sons.....

[You probably have to register to read the full thing on the NYT website, but it's handy to do anyway.]

Very moving.

I know. It's the sort of thing that I think everyone can relate to because it touches on so many of our worst fears: not being believed, people with total control over us having no concern for our well-being, not being able to get to those who do care, etc etc.

It's like all of our worst nightmares, but that shit really happened to that guy and his family, and it's definitely not an isolated story.

Louuuuusy. How did he end up with a fractured spine though?

Bone cancer can make you more susceptible to fractures.

I'd guess so anyways.

"...the affidavits say, guards at the Donald W. Wyatt Detention Facility in Central Falls, R.I., dragged him from his bed on July 30, carried him in shackles to a car, bruising his arms and legs, and drove him two hours to a federal lockup in Hartford, where an immigration officer pressured him to withdraw all pending appeals of his case and accept deportation."

maybe something to do with that or another similar incident. fuckin' wankers! very sad indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back