The Simpsons' 500th Episode (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
Anyone watched it? I looked at it there earlier. It wasn't the worst episode, there are so many candidates for that it's ridiculous. However it wasn't much good either. Considering it was the 500th episode I would have thought they'd try to go all out. It was good seeing the couch gags again but other than that the episode was meh to the power of meh. The last couple of seasons have been a distinct improvement on previous years but it relies far too much on celebrity appearances and references to previous episodes to drive the episodes along. No other series has lasted as long and you can kinda see why.

Haven't really watched too many new episodes but the ones that i did have been alright. Better than a lot of South Parks last 2-3 seasons

Simpsons and South Park both took a nosedive in quality around their 10th season. 10 years is probably the longest any series like that should last. It's a bit depressing to think that the number of mediocre to poor Simpsons episodes well outnumber the great ones at this stage. I gave up on it 7 or 8 years back as it felt like it was gradually turning into Family Guy, the characters became these hollow caricatures that are just used as vehicles for zany-ness and slapstick (especially Homer). Had heard that it has improved somewhat lately but I don't think I'd be bothered going back to it now.

They've gone back (somewhat) to telling a story, and reigned in the wackiness a bit. Some of the more recent episodes are entertaining rather than hilarious, if you get me. One I think anyone who hasn't watched it in years should see is "That '90s Show". Looking it up it's 4 years old (my how the time flies). It's a retelling of Homer and Marge's getting together. This time in the 1990s, instead of the '70s. Again it's not hilarious but it's well put together with period pastiches of Nirvana, the early web, etc.

George W Bush killed The Simpsons. The show was a two things 1. A family comedy and 2 a socio-political satire. Under Clinton The Simpsons could make cracks at him and the the state America was in, no one cared, and the satire could have a far range and a deep bite. As soon as Bush and his cronies got in and made America into a sick partzan self parody of it's self, The Simpsons faced two roads A. Bite deeper a la South Park (which got real mileage out of the utter shambles that America decended into under Bush) which for a show it's size and scope would have been commercial suicide or B, try to please everyone. As a result the satire became much less sharp and the show suffered For me the first genuinely shit episode is the one in which Homer Breaks his Jaw and has it wired shut. It's utterly assonyne and could be a metaphor, it aired in January 2002. 2 days before George W gave his first state of the Union address. By the time you get to

Kang : You said we'd be greeted as liberators
Kodos : I'm beginning to think operation enduring occupation was a bad idea (or whatever the exact quote is)

Followed by the scenes of Springfield resembling Iraq accompanied by I don't want to set the world on fire by the Ink Spots you could see the missed opertuinities and the feel the writers desperately trying to hold on to some relevance by their fingernails. It's a tough thing making something satirical, clever and touching while the world takes a turn for the fierce, tribal and idiotic.

The satire was also stale by that stage. They parodies the Stars Wars Prequels about 5 years after them came out and that Simpsons halloween special would have been edgy or subversive in 2003 but by the time it came out it rang hollow. More to the point it just wasn't funny.

And the one with Michael Moore. Bleh. I'm not sure if I dislike the clunky agitprop episodes more or just the crass ones, Marge's boob job etc.

I think it jumped the shark when Homer joined the navy. Although in retrospect that episode has its moments, that marked the point of no return.

And the one with Michael Moore. Bleh. I'm not sure if I dislike the clunky agitprop episodes more or just the crass ones, Marge's boob job etc.

I think it jumped the shark when Homer joined the navy. Although in retrospect that episode has its moments, that marked the point of no return.

No way. that's season 9 that episode is sandwiched between Bart and Ralph having the skeleton key and the one where Burns steals the trillion dollar bill. Both top notch.

Especially

Well, if it's a crime to love one's country, then I'm guilty. And if it's a crime to steal a trillion dollars from our government and hand it over to communist Cuba, then I'm guilty of that too. And if it's a crime to bribe a jury, then so help me, I'll soon be guilty of that!
Fucking vintage.

That episode shows Barney drinking a bottle of beer as he is drowning. For this, that episode gets a free pass.

25715087.jpg

Lads no denying that episode is funny in parts and of course that season had many gems I just feel that marks the point where it went from being Grade A on a consistent basis to patchy and then just awful thereafter. The end of the navy episode with the penguins, that bit showed how shit it was going to become afterward. Another least favourite episode, the reality tv one where the format is changed and they're dumped on an island.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back