the roe vs wade anniversary got me thinking (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
about this fantastic zine i read a year ago about the clandestine Jane network that operated in the states prior to the ruling. anyway...
i havent been following this Alito stuff much, but isnt it on his agenda that he wants to overrule the supreme court's decision regarding legalised abortions in the states?
discussion/thoughts?

From my "America: The Calendar" for 22 January:

Roe V. Wade
(January 22, 1973)

Abortion lovers rejoice! The Court rules that the right to privacy protects a woman's decision to have an abortion and the fetus is not a person with constitutional rights, thus ending all debate on this once-controversial issue.

Chapter which credited the drop in crime rates in the US to the introduction of abortion. Got to do with the fact that it would be mostly poorer unmarried women would be the one's who would avail of abortion. As these kids more than likely (according to the book) to grow up to be criminals of some sort, no kids = no crime.

I can post a PDF of the book if ya want so you can read the chapter.

Gambra said:
Chapter which credited the drop in crime rates in the US to the introduction of abortion. Got to do with the fact that it would be mostly poorer unmarried women would be the one's who would avail of abortion. As these kids more than likely (according to the book) to grow up to be criminals of some sort, no kids = no crime.

I can post a PDF of the book if ya want so you can read the chapter.

i'd like to read that. one of the main points in that jane zine was that before abortion was legalised in the states those with the means could actually go into private clinics and hospitals for a hush hush 'procedure' and this effectivly left those with fuck all money at the mercy of the organised crime-run backstreet abortionists. so the jane abortion service was as much a class thing as a feminist thing. though class and female oppression are often strongly linked. very interesting zine that and at a mad time in the US. check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back