the killing spree (1 Viewer)

Phil said:
do you really wanna argue about this? Look vinyl sounds better, looks better, and lasts far longer than half those shinny little shitty cds i have, the booklets with cds are shit and if they actually do put together a decent booklet it's impossible to get it in the fuckin case, jesus why did ya have to start this.

Listen to some robert johnson, leadbelly or muddy waters on record and you'll see the difference than on cd, blues is proof of how much better music sounds on record than on cd..|..|

now don't be:D

I honestly just wanted to know why. I don't get the whole CD/vinyl thing at all.

I also notice a lot of people (I don't know about you though, so nothing personal) who complain about the lifespan of CDs treat their CDs in a way they'd never treat a record, and leave them lying around out of the case, on the floor, in messy stacks on tables, behind the sink, blah blah blah. Which all leads to CDs getting scratched up really fast. Shocking really.

As for the sound thing, as you say, that depends on what you're listening to.

[/end bit]

cds = digital information, can be infinitely reproduced forever and ever, spread over the internet, whatever. that's fine by me, i don't really mind people getting to hear it for free (tho probably prefer for the records to get some sales first!) but this, to me, instrinsically devalues CDs.

vinyl pressing = finite number of physical artefacts, an actual physical representation of the music, that cannot be reproduced or spread except by physical repressing... cross that with hand-made block printed sleeves (which are all ever-so slightly different, by the process they were made) and you have a finite number of objects that (to us as a band) hold a certain intrinsic value.

that's the philosophy anyway. i think they sound good too. :)

mc moley said:
id love to have a release on wax and on cd for people who dont have turntables.
that would be ideal.
Well Dara, why didn't you just say that years ago and we could have signed to Fat Wreck Chords. And to think we turned down that contract from Sony...

mac warzonescum said:
Ah yes, but what about Walter Benjamin and his essay The Work of Art in the Age of its Mechanical Reproducibility?
was philosophy too strong a word?

how about you summarise it for us. :)

I asked this quuestion years ago - whats the fucking difference eh?!
So i was shown a demonstration....

Play Fugazi`s - In on the Kill Taker on cd - then play it on vinyl - the differance is astouding!Vinyl wins hands down.
Being a friday evening and all i suggest you get some Thin Lizzy records and soak em up with a few beers and stuff - but they don`t sound the same on cd!, the warmth is lost.

....and records are cheaper
....and what Bernard said is true also
...and chicks dig vinyl big time
...Reggae rules on vinyl also

I think dance/electronic based music sounds better on cd though - don`t know why.

''vinyl pressing = finite number of physical artefacts, an actual physical representation of the music, that cannot be reproduced or spread except by physical repressing... cross that with hand-made block printed sleeves (which are all ever-so slightly different, by the process they were made) and you have a finite number of objects that (to us as a band) hold a certain intrinsic value.

that's the philosophy anyway. i think they sound good too. ''

word to that Mr B. did you get my txt you love machine?

xiknowitsoverx said:
''vinyl pressing = finite number of physical artefacts, an actual physical representation of the music, that cannot be reproduced or spread except by physical repressing... cross that with hand-made block printed sleeves (which are all ever-so slightly different, by the process they were made) and you have a finite number of objects that (to us as a band) hold a certain intrinsic value.

that's the philosophy anyway. i think they sound good too. ''

word to that Mr B. did you get my txt you love machine?

I heard that you hear Vinyl in analog and you hear CD in digital and that is why vinyl is better and it has better colours too. Personally, I hear baaaalicks in surround sound stereo.

thedonal said:
here cormac, are you ever gonna come down to the dirty south for a practice? if you stay for a couple of days we could get some songs recorded for the irish comp??

that sounds like a really good idea. You should play a gig too.

Yes but you can listen to cds on the bus

By the way Bernard thanks for hangin out with us irish men the other night, but why did you keep going on about us being foreigners and all that weird shit about StoremONT? It's Storemont.

stephenoblunt said:
Yes but you can listen to cds on the bus

By the way Bernard thanks for hangin out with us irish men the other night, but why did you keep going on about us being foreigners and all that weird shit about StoremONT? It's Storemont.
actually it's stormont, fool

but thanks for that back rub and foot massage. and the - ;) you know - other thing.

actually, i was in virgin yesterday and saw a cd by a band called "the killing tree"

anyone know of them? might wanna watch out for potential lawsuits!

Alan Remorse said:
actually, i was in virgin yesterday and saw a cd by a band called "the killing tree"

anyone know of them? might wanna watch out for potential lawsuits!
there's the killing tree, tri-state killing spree, these, and us. crucially, we are THE killing spree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back