TELEPATHE tonight, who's going? (1 Viewer)

skinny wolves

Website
www.skinnywolves.com
Brooklyn banshees with a brand new beat, Telepathe stand out from the NY district’s vacuum of avant-garde. Though the same stifling pursuits of local noiseniks Gang Gang Dance and Effi Briest remain, a realised pop sensibility now stands to the fore, as harmonies and chants call out with blood-curdling brilliance against their lapping tape loops and darting hooks. Years in the making, Dance Mother, the outfit’s debut full-length, waits in the wings, its makers the latest darlings to be produced by TV On The Radio’s industrious Dave Sitek.

With something of a revolving cast, it’s difficult to plot Telepathe’s makeshift roster. Initially formed in 2004 as an aside for Busy Gangnes (from prog-punk experimentalists Wikkid) and Shahin Motia (no-wave rapscallions Ex-Models), Telepathe (pronounced “TEL-EP-ATH-EE”) have seen core contributors come and go but seem to have finally found some stability with the current crux, with Gangnes, fellow Wikkid and First Nation guitarist Melissa Livaudais and Mirror Mirror’s (US) Ryan Lucero.

After releasing Farewell Forest EP and the ‘Sinister Militia’ 12" through Social Registry last year – records indebted to the usual cast of Brooklyn and Baltimore avant-garde – recent outings ‘I Can’t Stand It’ and ‘Chrome’s On It’, recorded with Don Cabellero’s Eric Emm, suggest that, away from awkward Paw Tracks beatniks and noise-folk dilettantes, Telepathe have a newfound focus as Hot 97 hip-hop and totemic drone experimentalism collide.

telepathe_0.jpg

//

They play with Ruby Suns in Crawdaddy, as part of Soundtracks...
http://www.pod.ie/list_cdaddy.php?view_details=1&event_id=1506&venue=3

I really enjoyed this gig, didn't understand what was happening with that whole banter bit during The Ruby Suns though.

I like Telepathe's songs, and it was a fun show, bit of an amateur karaoke-ish feeling to their performance though.. More live instrumentation might help. Nice drumming from the girl with the stripey top. Didn't know anything about Ruby Suns beforehand, I really enjoyed the first 4-5 songs and then started to get a sort of sunny positivity overload. Pretty effective use of looping effects to expand the sound of the 3-piece, I thought.

telepathe usually have more gear when they play but they stripped things back for this tour cos they had to fly most places i think.

I like Telepathe's songs, and it was a fun show, bit of an amateur karaoke-ish feeling to their performance though.. More live instrumentation might help. Nice drumming from the girl with the stripey top. Didn't know anything about Ruby Suns beforehand, I really enjoyed the first 4-5 songs and then started to get a sort of sunny positivity overload. Pretty effective use of looping effects to expand the sound of the 3-piece, I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back