Teaching kids guitar? (1 Viewer)

GARYXKNIFEDX

Solutions
Website
Visit site
Asking on behalf of someone else.

What's considered the best way to do this?

Acoustic vs electric?

full size versus smaller guitar?

theory?

etc etc.

I didn't start until I was 22 so I can't even really use my own experience

I'm sure there will be a lot of differing opinions etc so give me some pros and cons.

Thanks.

Sorry,should have said,a school is buying a few guitars so parents will not have to,not sure what way it will work as far as practicing at home.

But keep the comments coming. Thanks.

I used to teach guitar in a Community School for a number of years. Get short-scale (eg 3/4 or smaller) length nylon string guitars. So much kinder to kids hands than similarly cheap priced steel-string acoustics. Make sure the instruments don't completely suck though or they'll be put off. For starters fuck theory and just get them excited about playing. I used to get into a little chord theory towards the end of my second term of 10 weeks with a group: Teach them about the fretboard, the basics of scales, arpeggios and chords, (and how to work out your own chords). Try and find a middle ground between songs that are easy for beginners to play, and songs to get them excited. I'm sure there's not one of them that wants to know the same old folkey shite starter songs I learned as a kid. It'd be an absolute turn off for them.

And show them this for inspiration

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I used to teach guitar in a Community School for a number of years. Get short-scale (eg 3/4 or smaller) length nylon string guitars. So much kinder to kids hands than similarly cheap priced steel-string acoustics. Make sure the instruments don't completely suck though or they'll be put off. For starters fuck theory and just get them excited about playing. I used to get into a little chord theory towards the end of my second term of 10 weeks with a group: Teach them about the fretboard, the basics of scales, arpeggios and chords, (and how to work out your own chords). Try and find a middle ground between songs that are easy for beginners to play, and songs to get them excited. I'm sure there's not one of them that wants to know the same old folkey shite starter songs I learned as a kid. It'd be an absolute turn off for them.

What he said.

So teaching on electric would be not a good thing?
Well my theory when I worked in a guitar shop was that if you get them the electric guitar straight off the bat there's nothing for them to work towards and they're more likely to just give up. So start them out on a 3/4 nylon string and if they're still playing in 6 months reward their efforts. Most of the kids that came into the shop just wanted a guitar because their mate had one. My boss was unimpressed by my theory but in fairness about half the Mothers that bought the nylon 3/4 sizes came back to get more stuff and practically none of the electric guitar buyers were ever seen again. Except one who wanted their money back because their son never played the thing. Oh how we laughed.

That's interesting. Not really arguing against,but if I had started playing earlier than I did,there's no way I would have stuck with an acoustic.

What about the fact that the school is buying the guitars? Obviously the same budget would buy better/and/ or more acoustic guitars.

That's interesting. Not really arguing against,but if I had started playing earlier than I did,there's no way I would have stuck with an acoustic.

What about the fact that the school is buying the guitars? Obviously the same budget would buy better/and/ or more acoustic guitars.

I guess it depends on how young you're talking about. If you're 5-10 and you're told that this is how you learn you might go along with it and try a bit harder. 10-15 forget about it.

Depends on how they work out their budget I suppose. If it was any school I went to they'd have bought wood worm infested, poisonous, ukeles that were inhabited by the souls of serial killers if they thought it would have saved a few cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back