Taxi Driver Sequel (2 Viewers)

Lars Von Trier Co Direct? You've more chance Christiano Ronaldo Tracking back and doing some defensive duties.
Has he ever Co anythinged ?

I'd rather see the Werner Herzog Taxi Driver sequel.

This is exactly the kind of thing that people shouldn't do. When Scorsese, Shrader and De Niro made Taxi Driver they were young, intense and deranged now they wear slippers and sip cocoa The Departed and the Aviator were all about zip panache and skill, you just can't fake the fire, if you know what I mean. Sonic Youth won't make another Daydream Nation, Frank Black won't write another Surfer Rosa and Scorsese/Shrader/De Niro won't ever make another Taxi Driver.

Mark my words because I would fucking love to eat them in the future.

Scorsese said a few years ago that him and De Niro were thinking that it would be interesting to make another movie to see what Travis was doing now but that they ultimately decided that it was a bad idea and that he had never made a sequel to one of his own movies.
Their first instinct was probably the best one.

What the writer of original, Paul Schrader said in 2005 when those rumours were floating around:

"We did meet about four years ago - Marty, Bob and me - at Bob's suggestion.

"But we came to the mutual decision that it was a very bad idea. The rumour must have surfaced from there.

"The concept just didn't work. TRAVIS (BICKLE, De Niro's character) is dead maybe six months after that movie ended. He was always on a suicide trip. If he didn't make it that time, how is he going to make it to middle age?"

Anyway it was printed in a Danish magazine that interviewed Scorsese at the Berlin film festival. What most likely happened was that Scorsese was asked about a sequel and made a joke about writing it with Von Trier, since the magazine was Danish, and they just rolled with it, took it out of context and created a typical internet super-speed come-and-gone in a minute bullshit news story.

I don't know, I'm not really that interested in seeing it in the cinema. I haven't seen Gangs of New York, I heard its pretty bad, but I thought The Departed was solid enough but obviously nowhere near as enjoyable or powerful as his classic work. His next film is supposed to have Daniel Day Lewis in it though so I'll probably go see it cause Danny D is a talented fellow.

You make a good point here
"This is exactly the kind of thing that people shouldn't do. When Scorsese, Shrader and De Niro made Taxi Driver they were young, intense and deranged now they wear slippers and sip cocoa The Departed and the Aviator were all about zip panache and skill, you just can't fake the fire, if you know what I mean. Sonic Youth won't make another Daydream Nation, Frank Black won't write another Surfer Rosa and Scorsese/Shrader/De Niro won't ever make another Taxi Driver."

The one thing you can say about say about Scorsese that you can't about his peers is that while they are all off jizzing over the newest innovation in CGI technology he is still just trying to tell good stories. Even though the likes of James Cameron and Spielberg have always been pioneers of special effects combined with good story telling and craft I think this new motion capture suit thing is going down the wrong path.

Yup, Scorsese used plenty of modern technology in Aviator and a bit in Kundun but nothing looked out of place. At least there's one American left who's determined to tell a story. I mean who's left in the states actually making thrillers ? (or as my girlfriend has dubbed them "storyfilms" she's an artist not a six year old) American thrillers are the van garde of much of their film making noir for example. Pot boilers edge of the seat stuff with a gun and a dame. Now the thrills seem to be derived from being bowled over by the appearance rather than the plot, the tension, the hook and the twist.

I haven't seen Kundun. I have Cape Fear and The Last Temptation of Christ to watch next Scorses wise, I've never seen either. I read the Scorsese on scorsese book recently which is pretty damn good, and I know Temptation of Christ means a great deal to him so I'm curious to see it.

I think PT Anderson is easily the best American director working today, his films are definetely among my favourites anyway.

The Coen Brothers have become hit and miss unfortunately. As my friend said after seeing Burn After Reading, it's a sad day if the Coen Brothers can't be trusted anymore.

I think the big problem with the majority of modern film-making is that there is no mystery or ambiguity or the participation of audiences' imaginations because the industry is hell bent on using CGI to show absolutely everything despite the fact that most people (or maybe just guys like me) will think "I know that's not there and its not real and its not really in the scene".
The other problems are super fast mind numbing cutting and terrible terrible uses of music.

What the fuck happened to Thematic music?????

Oh and by the way, did you see the Herzog Bad Lieutenant movie? I thought you might have since you suggested Herzog to do a Taxi Driver sequel. It's pretty terrible, mostly due to some awful modern thriller tv music that runs through it, but i cant tell if he is taking the piss or not.

I like the Cohens comedies though Burn... is pretty shit

Their thrillers (real pure thrillers like blood simple, no country or millers crossing) are excellent.

PT Andersson is great I personally think Punch Drunk Love is his best film though there will be blood is great.

If you can't tell weather Herzog is taking the piss out of you he generally is, I haven't seen Bad Lieutenant yet but the more bad reviews I hear the more I want to.

In genearl the question with film makers technology is the same with any new technology proving that you can do something is fine but now you have to justify why you should do it. Do we need slow motion to be slower? does it enhance the story? I find it hard to believe that the current crop of mega million dollar shit piles are directed by people who graduated film school. I doubt they could tell you a story let alone film one. Music wise the last score I remember from a thriller was John Ottmans score for the usual suspects though the last few Jon Brion ones wer great and Jonny Greenwoods There will be blood was amazing. It's a lost art though I think there's about five guys scoring most big films and they have about ten oscars each. Baffling.

If you can't tell weather Herzog is taking the piss out of you he generally is, I haven't seen Bad Lieutenant yet but the more bad reviews I hear the more I want to.

the last few Jon Brion ones wer great and Jonny Greenwoods There will be blood was amazing. It's a lost art though I think there's about five guys scoring most big films and they have about ten oscars each. Baffling.

There is a dvd quality torrent of Herzog's Bad Lieutenant. Be curious to know what you and everybody else makes of it.

Jon Brion's Punch Drunk Love soundtrack is amazing. It's a terrific film as well.

And the There WIll Be Blood soundtrack is great. Supposedly there was some ridiculous stipulation that meant Johnny Greenwood couldn't be Oscar nominated. Although the Oscars are weird, on one hand most of the people and works who earn them are ridiculous yet at the same time it's always good when something genuinely decent wins. I doubt there'll be another There WIll Be Blood / No Country For Old Men showdown for a long time. Total Oscar Anomaly.

for example. Pot boilers edge of the seat stuff with a gun and a dame. Now the thrills seem to be derived from being bowled over by the appearance rather than the plot, the tension, the hook and the twist.

I know what ya mean but 'pot boiler' is a derogatory term and probably what you mean by it..It does sound like it means an exciting film but really means one thats just stewing over and making alittle cash..

There is a dvd quality torrent of Herzog's Bad Lieutenant. Be curious to know what you and everybody else makes of it.

Jon Brion's Punch Drunk Love soundtrack is amazing. It's a terrific film as well.

And the There WIll Be Blood soundtrack is great. Supposedly there was some ridiculous stipulation that meant Johnny Greenwood couldn't be Oscar nominated. Although the Oscars are weird, on one hand most of the people and works who earn them are ridiculous yet at the same time it's always good when something genuinely decent wins. I doubt there'll be another There WIll Be Blood / No Country For Old Men showdown for a long time. Total Oscar Anomaly.

You usually get a few decent films nominated for oscars. They just never win. Of the ones nominated this year Up in the air and the two which are the favorites to win are probably the weakest. That's pretty much every year though.

Greenwood didn't get an oscar nod because the opening sewll in the movie is a piece called popcorn super-het reciever and it wasn't written for the film and the drummy thing which comes on when they strike oil in the middle is lifted from the bodysong soundtrack. Would have been cool if he won to see him shit his pants in front of millions when he had to speak into a mic. The Oscar Cunts bent the rules so Glen the ginger tossbag could embarass us all with his gushy shit fest. Cunt

I know what ya mean but 'pot boiler' is a derogatory term and probably what you mean by it..It does sound like it means an exciting film but really means one thats just stewing over and making alittle cash..
Yeah that's not the term I was looking for, I'm pretty sure the one I want is cooking based and means really tense can't think of it for the life of me and it's wrecking my head, I suppose it's page turner in books. Nail Biter? doesn't sound right this is doing my head in.

Yeah that's not the term I was looking for, I'm pretty sure the one I want is cooking based and means really tense can't think of it for the life of me and it's wrecking my head, I suppose it's page turner in books. Nail Biter? doesn't sound right this is doing my head in.

A ghee-sniffer?

Oh and by the way, did you see the Herzog Bad Lieutenant movie? I thought you might have since you suggested Herzog to do a Taxi Driver sequel. It's pretty terrible, mostly due to some awful modern thriller tv music that runs through it, but i cant tell if he is taking the piss or not.

Blatantly a pisstake, especially the way all the plot lines come together in the last few minutes out of nowhere. Great film though.

Hard boiled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back