Steely Dan (1 Viewer)

me a big fan. and I don't care who knows it.
Aja is brill brill - ever see the documentary about making it?

My fave is goucho.

The later releases lack the spark and are more guilty of what steely dan have always been accused of - coffetable music. :eek:

oh, but Donald Fagans solo one 'Nightfly' is grgrgreat

All their albums are good. Katy Lied and Countdown to Ecstacy have a couple of filler tracks on them but they still contain songs like My Old School, Doctor Wu & Show Biz Kids (sampled by Super Furry Animals, I think).
Pretzel Logic is really good and often overlooked.
Can't Buy A Thrill is their debut and possibly the most straight-forward of them all, most guitar-oriented too in some ways.
The Royal Scam is a great record. A guitar-y one too.
Aja is the big breakthrough one and Gaucho is possibly the best of the bunch although it is possibly one of the cleanest, most sterile albums you will ever hear in terms of production (and it is over 20 years old).
The new ones were pretty dull I thought. Nothing particularly wrong with them, just nothing to shout about.
The making of Aja DVD (which Mr. Rumpus bought me for xmas just gone) is really fantastic. It is one of those Classic Album series. I think they are now selling it pretty cheap in HMV.

named after a metal dildo in a burroughs book. but you already knew that.
its all coke rock and musicianship....yikes!
:eek:

kirstie said:
chevy chase was their original drummer too
I love chevy.
circa 1982
national lampoons christmas vacation.....the turkey, the steel plate in randy quaids head and the grandfather on fire....!!!:) :) :)

spectraljanitor said:
national lampoons christmas vacation.....the turkey, the steel plate in randy quaids head and the grandfather on fire....!!!:) :) :)
Hmm
not so fond of Christmas Vacation. I think national lampoons peaked with Vacation and European Vacation. Vegas Vacation is a travesty.

Caddyshack, Spies Like us, Fletch and Fletch lives are all also fine, fine films starring said Chevy Chase. I am eagerly awaiting the release of Fletch Won, currently in the being making of. Yay!

kirstie said:
Hmm
not so fond of Christmas Vacation. I think national lampoons peaked with Vacation and European Vacation. Vegas Vacation is a travesty.

Caddyshack, Spies Like us, Fletch and Fletch lives are all also fine, fine films starring said Chevy Chase. I am eagerly awaiting the release of Fletch Won, currently in the being making of. Yay!
i thought he was good in the paul simon vidjo "for you can call me al"!;)

oh he was excellent in that alright

I have 2 identical t-shirts with all of chevy's aliases on the back - such as john cocktosten, matress police, arnold babar etc etc
yes 2
2 friends know of my obsession

kirstie said:
oh he was excellent in that alright

I have 2 identical t-shirts with all of chevy's aliases on the back - such as john cocktosten, matress police, arnold babar etc etc
yes 2
2 friends know of my obsession

brilliant! i also think adam sandler in mixed nuts is incredible, and also that woman stuck in the lift with the kids toy keyboard rapping for help is an amazing scene.

kirstie said:
Hmm

hmmm whens the new Fletch due I wonder

with you on Vegas Vacation - very poor - despite Randy Q

gettin back to the dan,'2 against nature' has some pretty decent tunes on it, but some fairly filler-y ones too.so, not up the the standard of old, but the fact that it's good at all is a minor miracle, so it's worth a listen but don't fork out full whack.

david said:
gettin back to the dan,'2 against nature' has some pretty decent tunes on it, but some fairly filler-y ones too.so, not up the the standard of old, but the fact that it's good at all is a minor miracle, so it's worth a listen but don't fork out full whack.

THE Royal Scam has some fine moments on it. But some coffee table ones too.

Did you ever see the saturday night live compilation of all the best Chevy Chase bits...

The "Land Shark" has to be the funniest thing I have ever seen... When on a bus or a train I sometimes think of it and start sniggering... I cant help it... Havent seen it in years buh

been playing Aja and Countdown to Ecstasy lately

fine records

anyone else into them?
are the two recent albums any cop?

I put on Aja recently and it's majorly distracting when you listen to these guys how much they've been sampled in hip-hop
Like two tracks in and I'm already on Youtube looking for Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back