Sky Digital (1 Viewer)

THRILLHO

Contributor
Website
www.lowbrowculture.com
One of the things I miss about living at home is spending Saturday mornings curled up in a ball in front of Rick Stein on UK Food, so I've been thinking about getting Sky Digital installed. I figured before I ask the Landlady if I can nail a dirty great satellite dish to the wall, I should find out what Thumped has to say about it.

Any of yis got Sky Digital? Which package did yis get? And who does good (read: cheap) installations?

And the big question - anyone got Sky+? Is it any use? Pete?

i didn't want a statelite dish on me roof & i built me own digital vcr thing, so we went for the NTL digital instead. nothing special, does the job. grand.

(your landlady will probably say no anyway)

THRILLHO said:
And the big question - anyone got Sky+?

Much as I hate the ideals of Murdoch and Co., I have to say, Sky+ is the dog's bollix. Not only can you record like a video, but you can record TWO progs at the same time! As well as being able to rewind a live program when you miss something, pause it, or record from the start even though the program is already on. Deadly.

Pete's Home Made yoke is a grand idea but you don't get ALL of the above, requires a PC (okay he has a shuttle) in the living room and can be very flaky. Especially when trying to use Windows MCE (Eh, Pete?). Still, it's a helluva lot cheaper in the long run than Sky+.

Plus with Sky, you can get BBC3/4/Channel Islands (or wherever you like). The only thing I hate about Sky is they don't do the ITV channels and Channel 4 (though E4 usually shows all the good stuff from C4 anyway).

Pete's no aerial on the roof thing always makes me larf. Seeing as how he has a Wireless BroadBand on his roof. But that's geek-tech, not selling out to The Man..... (tee hee).

You barely even notice the new Sky digital aerials. I didn't notice mine for about six months. 'Cos it was hidden by the Chimbley.

I have the basic Sky entertainment package which is loads of channels, most of which are crap.
Didn't bother getting Movies or Sports
I tuned in the various BBCs [3/4 regionals etc] manually.

I also subscribe to Film Four which is around €8 a month extra

Because my wife and I watch different things we have a second box. Called a minibox which is an additional €15 per month.

As for Sky+ : it looks good but I prefer the idea of something physical - like a videotape. VCRs rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back