School of Rock(s) (1 Viewer)

jane

Website
www.ittybittyhearingtrumpet.wordpress.com
Hey Thumpeders,

I'm just back, soaking wet and happily exhausted from taking 40 primary school kids on an archaeological project (awesome). The teachers of the two classes are possibly the most enthusiastic, capable and just plain incredible teachers the world could possibly know. The kids are amazing, and fun, and hilarious, and -- amazingly -- think school is just about the greatest thing ever. The teacher practically had to chase them out of the classroom this afternoon (that's how good she is).

Anyway, my point is, they're interested in doing a music CD, and possibly interested in combining something with archaeology, music and drama (as are my colleague and me, who love innovative stuff to do with archaeology). I know I put up a post ages ago about doing music with schoolkids, and there was some interest (I think I'm looking at you, chickenham), but these kids and teachers are especially enthusiastic, and would be VERY psyched if someone wanted to come in and do some.

The kids are already into writing and composing their own stuff, and they're just into, er, being awesome, which they are very good at. The teacher went out and bought CuBase this week, and taught herself how to use it, and I think she's pretty au fey with a lot of the relevant gear.

If anyone is interested, drop me a PM.

brianoak said:
That was me that docked you.

enjoy your weekend.

image.gif

archaeology, composing music with cubase... what school is this? The Fantabulous Gifted Mind academy for Handsome Rich Aryan Youth With Big Brains?

my alma mater.

c0De_n1NjA said:
archaeology, composing music with cubase... what school is this? The Fantabulous Gifted Mind academy for Handsome Rich Aryan Youth With Big Brains?

my alma mater.

It's a boys' primary school in Ballyfermot, actually. Not fancy kids at all. Just really good kids with excellent teachers, and lots of enthusiastic parents. And plus, the access programme at UCD is quite active there, and Thomas and I are really into designing innovative programmes that involve archaeology in the community. It's much more fun than just going around lecturing people.

I hope that post wasn't too long for you there, Skull Smile.

jane said:
It's a boys' primary school in Ballyfermot, actually. Not fancy kids at all. Just really good kids with excellent teachers, and lots of enthusiastic parents. And plus, the access programme at UCD is quite active there, and Thomas and I are really into designing innovative programmes that involve archaeology in the community. It's much more fun than just going around lecturing people.

- ballyfermot
- boys
- access
- archaeology
- community
- fun

thats cool jane

A12104B-lg.jpg

jane said:

hey, im in college in Ballyor! wanna do lunch?

i dont think there is actually anywhere to eat in Ballyfermot bar the chippers...
meet you outside it on the bench for a quarter-pounder!?

ernesto said:
hey, im in college in Ballyor! wanna do lunch?

i dont think there is actually anywhere to eat in Ballyfermot bar the chippers...
meet you outside it on the bench for a quarter-pounder!?

I would, but I was just only there for the day. If I'm ever there again, and have a lunch break, I shall drop you a PM.

GrRrrrR said:
I was gonna say gimme a shout if you need any recording-related help, but, well screw you. *sulk*

No, I'd say they'd be VERY HAPPY to get recording-related help from someone who really knows what they're doing! That'd be awesome.

And Hag and Sadie, I'm sure they'll be thrilled to find out just how much interest there is, and I can't see why there won't be stuff to be done at weekends and stuff.

The teachers will be thrilled to hear all this.

By the way, there's also a possible thing with a Muslim school, though the nature of this will require some consultation with parents and teachers there, to ensure that everything is culturally appropriate. Most of the families are pretty moderate, but not all of them, and we wouldn't want to exclude them. That's a friend of mine's thingy, as she's been teaching there for a while, and she totally adores the kids and wants to help positive things happen for them. That's just in the initial stages of, "Wouldn't it be a cool idea if...", but will keep interested folks posted if they want.

couldnt help you at allcos i know buggery diddley nothing about recording but if it gets done is there a possibility of posting the results and all on thumped? i constantly do music projects with my kids that are lost or just flogged on to minidisc and id like to be able to keep them for when im actually finished college and have more time to do stuff.
im also going to spread some liking kids rep around this thread like finest country butter, just for goodness

Jane,

was telling a primary teacher friend of mine about this last night. He was commenting on how he's kinda gotten to the stage in his career where the panic over discipline and control has faded away and that he's actually at a stage where he can outfox the kids at every turn and actually can have a quiet day where everyone gets their work done.

But he realises this is now pretty damn boring! He wants to step it up a gear and wants to inject a bitta juice into the classroom again.

Do you have a plan yourself as to what schools you bring your lovin to? Or do you go on whatever schools display an interest? Or are you tied to one school?

Anyway, his is an educate together school in Glasnevin. I think he has 3rd class, though I can't remember. Dur. So 9ish would be an ok age, yeah? Not too young?

Any use putting him in touch with you?

roxy said:
Jane,

was out with a primary teacher friend of mine last night and was telling him about this. He was commenting on how he's kinda gotten to the stage in his career whereby the early years spent panicking over discipline and control have faded away and that he's actually at a stage where he can outfox the kids at every turn and actually have a quiet day where everyone gets their work done.

But he realises this is now pretty damn boring! He wants to step it up a gear and wants to inject a bitta juice into the classroom again.

Do you have a plan yourself as to what schools you bring your lovin to? Or do you go on whatever schools display an interest? Or are you tied to one school?

Anyway, his is an educate together school in Glasnevin. I think he has 3rd class, though I can't remember. Dur. So 9ish would be an ok age, yeah? Not too young?

Any use putting him in touch with you?

Yes! Definitely! Do you have my phone number? I shall PM it to you and you can pass it on to yer mate.

My colleague and I are meeting on Tuesday afternoon, too, to talk about some details for what we'll do if our phones start ringing....

We do all sorts of different things: short workshops in schools, day trips, two-day programmes, and we're doing a much longer programme after Christmas.

Oh, you should also let him know that because of time constraints, funding, and licencing, we don't actually do any excavation with them. It's too bad, but then, digging isn't the end-all, be-all of archaeology anyway.

sugar_referee said:
couldnt help you at allcos i know buggery diddley nothing about recording but if it gets done is there a possibility of posting the results and all on thumped? i constantly do music projects with my kids that are lost or just flogged on to minidisc and id like to be able to keep them for when im actually finished college and have more time to do stuff.
im also going to spread some liking kids rep around this thread like finest country butter, just for goodness

Cool stuff. What are you doing in college?

Doing music with kids must be so much fun. Taking them out to do archaeology projects sure is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back