Robert Wyatt signs to Domino!? (1 Viewer)

haha what a great photo!
domino_pre_36.jpg

here that amusing story from the "Louth Today" again:

SINGER BILLY BRAGG IN LOUTH

TH1_123200713billy-bragg.jpg

SINGER, songwriter and political activist Billy Bragg was spotted in Louth on Friday trying to buy rhubarb for his band's dinner.
Louth based music legend Robert Wyatt said he saw Billy by chance in the Market Place.
He said: "He's a great man and I've not seen him for years."
Mr Wyatt said Billy is recording at the Chapel Studio in South Thoresby – where Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs and other top bands have recorded - and popped into Louth after his band said they fancied a rhubarb crumble.
It became a costly trip because rhubarb is out of season and Billy was hit with a parking ticket while chatting to Mr Wyatt.
Mr Wyatt, who is working on a new album due out in the autumn, said even though the rhubarb cost about £5, it would be worth it because a well fed musician is a happy musician.

CLICK HERE to email us if you saw Billy Bragg in town.

ROBERT WYATT

releases new album 'Comicopera'

out on Domino, 8 October 2007

Tracklisting:

Act One: Lost In Noise
1 Stay Tunes
2 Just As You Are
3 You You
4 A.W.O.L.
5 Anachronist

Act Two: The Here And The Now
6 A Beautiful Peace
7 Be Serious
8 On The Town Square
9 Mob Rule
10 A Beautiful War
11 Out of The Blue

Act Three: Away With The Fairies
12 Del Mondo
13 Cancion de Julieta
14 Pastafari
15 Fragment
16 Hasta Siempre

On 8 October 2007 Robert Wyatt is to release his new album and first for Domino.

Called 'Comicopera', the 16 track album will be available on both CD and double vinyl formats. It was produced by Robert himself, and recorded at his home in Louth as well as Phil Manzanera's Gallery Studio.

'Comicopera' is divided into three Acts - 'Lost In Noise', 'The Here And The Now', and 'Away With The Fairies', and is initially more diverse and live sounding than it's predecessor 'Cuckooland'.

Featuring a host of musicians including Brian Eno, Paul Weller and Phil Manzanera, Robert says he was keen for the album to capture the sound of a group of musicians playing in the room together, but more importantly to have friends playing together. "Music isn't just an abstract pleasure, it is a company, when you play a record. Why I like Duke Ellington and Charles Mingus, the Big Bands - is because every character in the band is identifiable as that person - there's this group of humans in a room" he says. It is this that gives 'Comicopera' a sense of spontaneity, despite it's deliberate pacing and construction as something of a three Act 'Opera'.

Robert Wyatt lives in Louth??? Where?

That's so disappointing. I was hoping that Louth would have rubbed off on him and the next album would be sung in a mad Drogheda accent.

"Mahrs Bahr, Stahr Bahr, Nuws of Da Whurld"

lolzers!

Robert Wyatt sang live for the first time in 25 years on Saturday night (September 22) with one of his favourite groups, The Dylan Howe Quintet.

When the troupe performed at Lincoln's Drill Hall, Wyatt came onstage and sang a cover of Thelonius Monk's 'Round Midnight'.

After the show, Wyatt told NME.COM what prompted his sudden comeback.

"It's the first time I'd sung live in 25 years! I just felt it," he explained. "If I don't have time to think about it, then I can just sneak up on myself and do it, I suppose! It was great fun, I was even thinking of sitting in on the last number too."

Wyatt, formerly a drummer with bands Soft Machine and Matching Mole until he was paralysed falling from a window in the early 1970s, is a big fan of drummer Howe, the son of Yes guitarist Steve Howe. He explained he may work with the drummer on 'The Subterraneans', an experimental jazz version of David Bowie's 'Low' and 'Heroes' albums.

Wyatt has released a number of albums over the last 25 years, but has never toured or performed live.

Howe added: "I've always been a fan of Robert's, and to know he is a fan of mine is amazing, really. I had initially asked him a few months ago if he would sing with us for 'The Subterraneans' project, but he told me that he just can't sing live anymore.

"Nobody could have predicted tonight, I just casually asked him before the gig if he fancied sitting in on a tune, not thinking it would ever happen. It was such an honour, everyone in the group and audience was spellbound."

I'm pretty sure he sang at one of the Meltdown festivals...

here...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

hoping he does some shows with the new record, even just in the UK, I'd totally travel to see him

The last two hours of this weeks Freakzone on bbc 6 music is devoted to Robert Wyatt, you can listen on the bbc radio player.

i was listening to rock bottom walking to work this morning - immense. other than that i only have ruth is stranger than richard, so i was thinking "maybe i'll ask on thumped what some other good ones are. that guy nglgllgbbth will probably know anyway"

i was listening to rock bottom walking to work this morning - immense. other than that i only have ruth is stranger than richard, so i was thinking "maybe i'll ask on thumped what some other good ones are. that guy nglgllgbbth will probably know anyway"

There was a poll a couple of years ago. Only eight votes.
Click!

Nothing Can Stop Us is deadly.
Cuckooland is great but needs a trim.
EP box set is sweet.
The End Of An Ear is charmless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back