Rise of The Machines (2 Viewers)

avernus

Machines will achieve human-level artificial intelligence by 2029, a leading US inventor has predicted.

Humanity is on the brink of advances that will see tiny robots implanted in people's brains to make them more intelligent said engineer Ray Kurzweil. He said machines and humans would eventually merge through devices implanted in the body to boost intelligence and health.

"It's really part of our civilisation," Mr Kurzweil said.

"But that's not going to be an alien invasion of intelligent machines to displace us."

Machines were already doing hundreds of things humans used to do, at human levels of intelligence or better, in many different areas, he said.

Man versus machine
"I've made the case that we will have both the hardware and the software to achieve human level artificial intelligence with the broad suppleness of human intelligence including our emotional intelligence by 2029," he said.

"We're already a human machine civilisation, we use our technology to expand our physical and mental horizons and this will be a further extension of that."

Humans and machines would eventually merge, by means of devices embedded in people's bodies to keep them healthy and improve their intelligence, predicted Mr Kurzweil.

"We'll have intelligent nanobots go into our brains through the capillaries and interact directly with our biological neurons," he told BBC News.

The nanobots, he said, would "make us smarter, remember things better and automatically go into full emergent virtual reality environments through the nervous system".

Mr Kurzweil is one of 18 influential thinkers chosen to identify the great technological challenges facing humanity in the 21st century by the US National Academy of Engineering. The experts include Google founder Larry Page and genome pioneer Dr Craig Venter.

The 14 challenges were announced at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Boston, which concludes on Monday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7248875.stm

20070510-Terminator.jpg

T1000.jpg

matrix-pod.jpg

lenticular%20robocop%20PDVD_012.jpg

robocop2_14.png

fuck this!

I only have a wikipedia level of knowledge of Ray Kurzweil but I think that many of his predictions are science fiction presented as fact.

He seems to make predictions about the next 100 years without considering the last 100, an approach which should be a given. He seems to only consider the technological 'cutting edge' without taking any other aspects of human behaviour into account.

Most of the combustible resources of the planet have been converted into carbon dioxide. One fifth of the human population of planet earns one dollar a day or less. These people won't be buying laptops or a bag of gravity defying nano-bots. Kurzweil predicts a 'technological singularity' by 2045 whereby technological beings will take over from human beings as the driving force behind technological development. He doesn't consider that by 2015 there will be almost 7 billion human inhabitants of the planet, oil shortages, food shortages, a deteriorating resource pool along with our usual self inflicted problems problems such as war. Technology usually only attaches itself to the upper echelons of societies, which whether like it or not, includes most of us.

I would prefer the world of the Terminator and the dysfunction of the Matrix to the utopia Kurzweil thinks we are building.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqPVkpE1Hms&feature=related"]YouTube - Robovie-X Shooting1(射撃1)[/ame]

Everything that can be invented has been invented.
Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. patent office, 1899

I think some physiscist bigwig said something similar sometime before 1900, that everything had pretty much been solved... queue Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.

I'm going to buy shares in this nano technology. It should sit well in my portfolio of Lunar real estate and Hovercar Technologies Inc.

For how long have they been promising jet-packs? I'd say the '70s. I'd really like one anyway. They can keep their brain bots.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back