Question for film studies heads (1 Viewer)

brianoak

Is Auteur theory considered French New Wave?
I.E. as in an alternative to the classical narrative????

Cant find anything that clarifies this.

answers not links please.

Thanks

brian.html said:

Cant find anything that clarifies this.

answers not links please.

Thanks
Well from what i can see the term was coined by François Truffaut in 1954 in his article Une certaine tendance du cinéma français ("a certain tendency in the French cinema") in reference to a number of films during the fifties (which were deemed French New Wave) See i can sound smart to!

brian.html said:

No...Well you'd have to rephrase your question.
Auteur theory WAS first advocated by the French New Wave, but it is NOT an alternative to the classical narrative.

"The Auteur Theory is the theory that a film (or a body of work) by a director reflects the personal vision and preoccupations of that director, as if he or she were the work's primary "author" (auteur)."

""Auteurism" is the method of analyzing films based on this theory (or, alternately, the characteristics of a director's work that makes him an auteur)."

There are plenty of modern directors that are considered Auteurs too...
{ie Woody Allen, Werner Herzog, Wim Wenders, Ken Loach, Andrei Tarkovsky, Akira Kurosawa, etc...}

French new Wave and Soviet Montage....

Im guessing they are alternatives to the classical narrative.

Theme and cinemtography wise??

Thanks Jamie

brian.html said:
French new Wave and Soviet Montage....

Im guessing they are alternatives to the classical narrative.

Theme and cinemtography wise??

Thanks Jamie

Well, soviet montage (battleship potemtkin in particular) set the basis for classical narrative and the french new wave broke or messed around with a lot of those classical [SIZE=-1]conventions as far as i know. [/SIZE]

Nice one.
Just found a decent essay on above.

thanks for the help

edit-not the immediate above

Truffaut and his bunch considered Hitchcock and John Ford to be auteurs even tho they worked with 'conventional narratives'.

c0De_n1NjA said:
Want to go and see brokeback mountain after work? :heart:

i'll just get my costume first...

ride%20em%20cowboy.jpg

Swingkid's analysis of auteur theory is perfectly correct.

However, the assertion that Soviet montage "set the basis for classical narrative" isn't right. Narrative itself (the relation of a causal chain of events to tell a story) is separate from the method of relation - though it is affected by it. Even the French new wavers, and the Italians were just experimenting with new forms of narrative. Narrative method goes back as long as we have been communicating.

What Soviet montagers did was develop one of the two types of editing techniques: contrapunctal montage. The other being constitutive montage, which we are familiar with mostly through the classical hollywood style (adding one shot to another shot in temporal sequence to relate information). This is very much the "classical narrative" method of editing. Contrapunctal montage, as described at length by Sergei Eisenstein (see film form and film sense) is placing two images in temporal sequence, and in conflict, in order that a new meaning may come from the interaction of the two images, or the disruption of one image by another. The French new wave method is a very fluid mixture of both techniques.

While the early soviet montage method is largely out of favour, it still shows up occassionally - look at the work of Oliver Stone. It will turn up in mainstream cinema, but it's usually disguised behind a dream sequence, or it's most common use is, latterly, in the music video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back