ordering blank 7 inch sleeves (1 Viewer)

Alan Remorse

Hey,
We're doing a seven inch soon, and i'm trying to find the cheapest place to get blank sleeves for it.

We're getting them screen printed by a friend so I just need to get blank ones.

Any ideas?

goodtime john did a great little 7" a couple of years ago ('the duck and the croc' b/w 'i'll go willingly') which has all the covers screenprinted (or something similar) and was done onto a single sheet of paper that folded around and clipped back into itself - it's a bit hard to explain, but if you track down a copy you'll see what i mean. it meant that there was no need to use 'proper' blank sleeves, which saved on time/money/effort/glue.

the redneck manifesto 7" on errol records has a folding-back-in-on-itself design, too; might be worth asking where they got it done, though i suspect it was the label that did it.

grafotone printers in inchicore have a 7" printing forme, which they can use to cut and score paper to a default 7" shape and size. obviously they're usually printing something onto it as well, but i suppose they could just cut down paper for you if that's the kind of thing you're after. other small printers around dublin might have a forme as well, so ask around. grafotone's number used to be 01-4730021; though i have no idea if it still is. anthony large mound would know more. we used them to do the first herv 7" and a couple of other things.

the downside to going that way is that you're stuck folding and glueing them all yourself. i did that for a couple of different 7"s but it gets to be a pain. that said, apparently shellac still fold the copies of their first 7"s whenever anyone orders a copy.

obviously, i'm sure if you google for blank 7" covers you'll get places that sell them online; that might not be the cheapest way to go, though. you might be able to order them in bulk from gzcd and the like, too.

hope that helps, best o' luck.

That's great man, thanks a million for the info.

We don't mind folding/glueing them ourselves if it saves on bucks. Our friend is printing them for free too so if we can find someone to sell us reasonably priced sleeves we could save a fair bit I reckon.

If anyone else has any other suggestions too..!

you say that now, but when you're sitting folding cover number 859 at 4am the night before a launch gig, you might think different...

what you could do, too, is get a forme made, then buy a load of nice paper (from, say, kleepaper), bring it all to a printers and get them to cut it, and end up with loads of covers, and the raw materials for a couple of future releases as well. we did this for cd covers. took forever but they looked cool and we controlled the whole process. i'm trying to remember the name of the place where we got the forme done at the moment; drawing a blank so far.

i'm sure other peeps who've done 7"s will have leads for you too... what label will it be released on - o.o.a.l.? or are you doing it yourself?

Well, it's being released by a small DIY label called Hideaway Records, but y'know we're all pitching in. Need to keep costs down as much as we can.

Some good suggestions there though, cheers dude.

I think maybe doing it on a single sheet might be a good idea, but it would take a bit of working out. Luckily it's not out til March so we've a bit of time to figure it out (vinyls are being pressed at the mo)

Hideaway are releasing your 7"? Savage, but what s says is right. Expect to be all the night before its launched to be folding all the copies if Dylan's past experience is anything to go by :).

yo alan, Dexterity press is the place. American company but they deal with some great record labels and do some savage types of card and paper for 7"'s. it is relatively cheap also as you will have to fold and glue them yourself. it was 400euro for 500 "letterpress" printed sleeves, thats the indented pressing now (far cooler than standard print;) As for getting just unprinted sheets (of a type of card cut to your size) there is a very big paper/card merchant in little island and also up by frankfield. They might help you out. giv a txt and i can pass you on numbers to the office heads i know there.

you say that now, but when you're sitting folding cover number 859 at 4am the night before a launch gig, you might think different...

I think you could stop round the 200 mark and get some kip to be honest.
Who's going to sell in excess of 800 7"'s at a launch gig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back