New Prisoner (1 Viewer)

They said they'd be taking "liberties" with the original. I'm pretty sure it's going to be an absolute fucking travesty, and watching five minutes is going to make me want to drown the world in a bath of fire.

If anyone wants me, I'll be sulking behind the bike sheds over in Portmeirion.

FUCK THAT. the prisoner was possibly the best tv series ever, it cannot be reinvented. what an absolute outrage for it ever be considered so. i have been thinking lately that they might do some hollywood film version, but... why cant they just leave something wonderful as it is? it doesnt need to be remade. if it wasnt for the prisoner, we would have no twin peaks, matrix or lost (actually those last two are fairly crap, but even so, it had a massive impact). god damn this culture of regurgitation.

why attempt to fuck with perfection?

forget about it pricks

vote_for_no6.jpg

I bought the entire series of the prisoner from that weird game shop under the bridge on Talbot Street for E20. It took me about two months to get through it all. After 10 minutes of watching it, my brain would just shut down. "Listen THRILLHO, this is just too much weird shit for us to take. Let's just sleep, okay?"

Still though, really enjoyed it. And balls to these people that keep saying "Well, the new Battlestar Galactica is way better than the original" as if it's some get-out-of-jail-free card for all these pointless remakes.

Wilbert said:
You could all just not watch it, I guess.

no, its going to such a fucking shame to see something absolutely perfect (and not as well known as it really deserves to be - it hasnt been on tv in faaaaaaaaaaaar too long) get associated with something that is most likely going to be mediocre, and may well be an absolutely travesty. its like having one of your favourite albums ever unnecessarilly remade with "liberties" taken and released under the same name.

To quote from another message board;

"Method: Take one cult hit, strip it down to its basic premise and piss all over it.

Here's one I prepared earlier. "

1284-large.jpg

I take your point but it doesn't change your enjoyment of the original Prisoner series, does it?

I think that it can only help. If the remake of the Prisoner is crap then the original will still stand as it always did. If the re-make is better, then thats great too.

johnnystress said:
To quote from another message board;

"Method: Take one cult hit, strip it down to its basic premise and piss all over it.

Here's one I prepared earlier. "

1284-large.jpg

Wouldn't mind a film so much but those dudes intend making an 8 part series of The Prisoner.

The only way it would have a scintilla of credibility would be if McGoohan played the part again but that's not going to happen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...in-remake-of-1960s-thriller-The-Prisoner.html

Sir Ian McKellan will play the part of Number Two alongside the US actor Jim Caviezel, who has been chosen to reprise the role of Number Six.
The iconic role was played in the original ITV series by Patrick McGoohan, who may make a cameo appearance in the new series.
The Prisoner followed McGoohan's character, a former secret agent, as he found himself trapped in a mysterious and surreal village - originally set in Portmeirion in Wales.

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-prisoner/2008/06/jim-caviezel-ian-mckellan-the-prisoner.php

While the original series, which debuted in 1967, was a riff on Cold War politics, AMC's reinterpretation will reflect 21st Century concerns and anxieties, such as liberty, security, and surveillance, yet also showcase the same key elements of paranoia, tense action and socio-political commentary seen in McGoohan's enigmatic original.

Week after week he came up against Number Two who would thwart his attempts to escape and return to his previous life.
While the 1960s series played on Cold War politics, ITV says that the six-part remake starting next year will reflect modern-day concerns of freedom, security and surveillance.
The broadcaster declined to say where the new series will be filmed.
The series has been written by Bill Gallagher, the writer behind Lark Rise to Candleford and Clocking Off .
McKellen, who received an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, said: "Bill Gallagher's new version of The Prisoner is an enthralling commentary on modern culture. It's witty, intelligent and disturbing. I am very excited to be involved."
John Whiston, the director of ITV Productions, which is making the series, described the show as "dangerous, exciting and challenging".

Argh.
This is kinda strange, but.
ITV series with fancy Hollywood-ish actors?

There's so much that can go wrong.
Gah.
Must buy the original series though.

TV for legends by legends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back