Network Drives (1 Viewer)

ernesto

Stank you very much
Supporter
Solutions
Website
strikeaction.bandcamp.com
looking at getting a netowrk drive to connect to my netgear router.
can i use timemachine to back up if i partition it and can i get ituens to read from it i transfer my library on it?
will other macs on the wireless network be able to read the itunes library too?
is there any particualr one people would recommend? im looking at getting a 1TB+ one. could i steam video files on it to any computer in the house or would i have to transfer to local machine first or sumthin?
would like one that had FW400 if possible too
all answers on a postcard.

cheers,

Ern

Not a great idea to put TM on the same physical disk as original content (eg yer iTunes library). You should ideally have a one disk for your media, and another for Time Machine which backs-up your computers and the media drive.

That way if the media drive or a computer dies, you can restore it from TM. If the TM drive dies, you lose nothing as it's redundant, just get a new disk and start backing up again.

I had this exact thing happen last week - media drive was dead, bought a new one and restored from the TM drive - was up and running again within an afternoon, no data loss.

I've set up two LaCie raided NAS drives in work and it was a piece of piss. you assign an ip address to it, then through a web interface set up your partitions and sharing. It's then viewable on the network, job done.

i don't see why itunes wouldn't work with it and you can use time machine with it.

Make sure it has apple file capability or it won't be able for alot of you mac file names.

this is the last one i set up, it's deadly.

I've an Iomega one connected to the wireless router. Works like a charm, though something in the filesystem gets fucked every time I connect it through the USB interface: computer crashes unless I run chkdsk, and chkdsk has issues with long pathnames, renaming some folders and files rendering those music files unusable until I rename them back. This renaming business seems rather arbitrary as it's not really the longest paths that are affected. Anyone know how I could fix this?

I've an Iomega one connected to the wireless router. Works like a charm, though something in the filesystem gets fucked every time I connect it through the USB interface: computer crashes unless I run chkdsk, and chkdsk has issues with long pathnames, renaming some folders and files rendering those music files unusable until I rename them back. This renaming business seems rather arbitrary as it's not really the longest paths that are affected. Anyone know how I could fix this?

use a mac

Not a great idea to put TM on the same physical disk as original content (eg yer iTunes library). You should ideally have a one disk for your media, and another for Time Machine which backs-up your computers and the media drive.

That way if the media drive or a computer dies, you can restore it from TM. If the TM drive dies, you lose nothing as it's redundant, just get a new disk and start backing up again.

I had this exact thing happen last week - media drive was dead, bought a new one and restored from the TM drive - was up and running again within an afternoon, no data loss.

ah i know, its more so to free up HD space on my macs and have universally accessible stuff to everyone.

I've set up two LaCie raided NAS drives in work and it was a piece of piss. you assign an ip address to it, then through a web interface set up your partitions and sharing. It's then viewable on the network, job done.

i don't see why itunes wouldn't work with it and you can use time machine with it.

Make sure it has apple file capability or it won't be able for alot of you mac file names.

this is the last one i set up, it's deadly.

use a mac
ha!

thats pretty pricey. apparently buffalo are all mac compatible.

this looks solid aye?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001FNYWFU/?tag=thumpedcom04-21

or http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001IBSIZO/?tag=thumpedcom04-21

also, i can just access it via the icon on the desktop as opposed to an interweb browser window yeah?

also, i can just access it via the icon on the desktop as opposed to an interweb browser window yeah?

you'll connect to it through the 'connect to server' in the Go menu in finder. stick in the ip address and it should mount.

then drag an alias to 'log in items' in you user account in system preferences

I bought a 1tb multi media hard drive,thinking it would plug into me router.Fail.

Have to connect the lappy to it every time I wanna transfer.BIG BUMMER

justone.GIF

this has no USB port, if needs be, could i just connect it straight to my Ethernet port to access stuff on it or would i have to go through the router?

Does it not have a network port in the back Gary? Normally all of those multi media yokes have one.

Nah,usb and hdmi only.

Is there a way to connect usb to the router?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back