My voice (1 Viewer)

Alan Remorse

Anyone who was at any of the gigs on our tour will have heard my voice cracking and breaking like a sweaty 14 year old boy towards the end of our sets.

This never used to happen but lately i lose my voice quite often.

What can I do................................?

Tried lemon, honey, warming up my voice, singing lying down, all that jazz...

My theory is that i'm concentrating too hard on my guitar playing and just forgetting to breathe properly when im not singing. But not sure how I get outta the habit of that.

What say ye?

warm up before a gig. do daft scales and things like that going "awwww-ahhh" etc. that's about all i know. not that it ever worked for me.

I get that sometimes, usually if I've smoked the day before a gig. Sometimes two days before a gig. So I've quit almost completely. Smoking takes the wind out of me. Singing lessons really help you learn how to breathe, control your breath, how not to sing from your throat etc. All of the things everyone does before they know better or practice the right methods.

Anyone who was at any of the gigs on our tour will have heard my voice cracking and breaking like a sweaty 14 year old boy towards the end of our sets.

This never used to happen but lately i lose my voice quite often.

What can I do................................?

Tried lemon, honey, warming up my voice, singing lying down, all that jazz...

My theory is that i'm concentrating too hard on my guitar playing and just forgetting to breathe properly when im not singing. But not sure how I get outta the habit of that.

What say ye?

what sort of vocals do you do alan? my voice is taking a terrible battering lately.. i've tried drinking tons of tepid water, doing vocal warm-ups, not talking afterwards, breathing steam, singing from my stomach rather than higher up, and none of it works.
the only thing that seems to stop my voice from going out altogether is if i talk lots afterwards. my theory is that it keeps my vocal cords hydrated.

I thought this thread was going to be about that weird satanic gurgling noise you made when I was talking to you earlier alan! personally, I think an exorcism might be in order... ;)

but also, maybe a few singing lessons. seems that breathing is the key... I have two friends who both tookgot some vocal coaching at different times, with pretty dramatic results. great improvements in range and volume. one of them could barely croak out a tune before!

thanx for the synth btw. there was a lead in the case, so I guess I owe you a lead!
d.

but also, maybe a few singing lessons. seems that breathing is the key... I have two friends who both tookgot some vocal coaching at different times, with pretty dramatic results. great improvements in range and volume. one of them could barely croak out a tune before!

sam healy? :D

I used to have terrible trouble with that dry, cracking up feeling towards the end of gigs. I've found though, there's a few little tweaks that I've just picked up with experience that can make all the difference.

Beer, for me personally, is a killer. If I try sing after a couple of bottles my throat will be dry in 20 mins. Too much water before the gig can have the same effect. Like that pruney dry feeling after being in the swimming pool. Rose (rose-ay) wine is what I've found suits me best if I'm drinking. Otherwise, a cup of tea works grand too. I find I don't need vast amounts of liquid. Having the engineer turn your vox up in the monitor mix is obvious but does make life a lot easier and alows you to sing more softly.

Lessons would still be your first port of call but there's some of the things that helped me.

Before i recorded my album i took 10 singing lessons. Basically a lot of it boils down to just pronouncing stuff properly, without getting ' how now brown cow' about it. You don't even need to think about the notes, just concentrate on completing full phrases; breathing between complete phrases; and pronouncing 'i' sounds as sort of 'iy' (e.g. shine) fully rounding off 'ou' sounds (as in 'sound') etc. Start by practising reading your lines; then sing them without thinking about the notes, and just concentrating on pronunciation.

Since I started trying that I can sing much better; can hold notes much better; and am more comfortable in my range. Obviously there's a limit to what you can do in 10 lessons but it seriously really works. I have a fairly weak voice but that technique has got me to progress from weak to passable; maybe if you're a deadly singer already you might not find it as good.

zen-of-screaming-dvd.jpg

this dvd is supposed to be good, for tips/lessons ect..

Hmmm.

I dunno how to describe the vocals i do. It's singing almost the whole way through with some shouting, but the vocals in our songs tend to be VERY high, and i find i have to stretch my voice a lot during our sets. I've only been singing for 6 months (since the band started) so yeah, I guess its early days. But what freaks me out is that it didnt happen at the start, only in the last few weeks.

I have cut out drinking before gigs, and have more or less completely stopped smoking.

I am not a good singer by any means. And Aine is an amazing singer so I'm often trying to match her, seeing as we're doing the whole dual vocals thing.

Singing lessons might be the thing. But a lot of the guitar playing i do is quite hard while singing, so maybe just practicing the ass of the songs is the key.

I find a lot of the online guides and stuff i see in books only focuses on singing while not playing an instrument - which as we all know is a hideous practice that should be banned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back