Me and My Korg present: John Maus/Nouveau Noise (1 Viewer)

Me and My Korg

Wednesday 19th of December
Kennedys Westland Row
Doors at 10, 7euro with a flyer
Free cdr for the first 50 or so
myspace.com/meandmykorg

Touring Europe with his new album 'Love is Real' John Maus plays Kennedys of Westalnd Row on the 19th of December. Although best known as a core member of Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti and keyboard player with Animal Collective's Panda Bear, Maus is a musician with a distinctive sound of his own. Almost entirely electronic, the Maus sound is created from synthesisers, drum machine, bass and his remarkable vocals, which are pitched somewhere between Ian Curtis and David Bowie.
'80’s synth pop may be the most pervasive element of John Maus’ latest LP, don’t yourself be fooled; Love Is Real is a dark and fractured affair. A subtle, but effective, filter causes Maus’ vocals to sound slightly muffled, as though he’s singing from beneath a thick quilt. The entire record is marked by a sense of an abstruse sense of unease, as though something darker lurks just beneath the surface of this seemingly benign pop; there’s more here than you may initially believe.'

"John Maus is a maniac on a bloody crusade; a tortured evangelist on a mercenary quest to rid our world of villainous defilers of The Gospel of True Love. By turns shockingly infectious and disarmingly unpredictable, his music conflates a perplexing marriage of Moroder's 'Never Ending Story' and classical 12-tone renegades of 20th century past, harking THE NEW path which resurrects romance from its post-modern shackles, and reignites the promise of a better world." - Ariel Pink

"John Maus is confusing. Deeply confusing. I still don't know whether I actually like his music or not. But, whatever, you can't stop listening to it once you've started. Maus reminds you that sometimes the best music is confusing, challenging, and on some level nonsensical. By taking you out of your comfort zone, he makes you feel that little bit more alive." - Simon Hampson, Fact Magazine

Nouveau Noise are two lads residing in Dublin figuring out just how far you can push a laptop while also working on encorporating African percussion and a brass section into their live sets.A brilliant example of the great new music coming out of this fine city of ours.

'a duo making organic electronica that wouldn’t be out of place on a Four Tet album. The sound of complex sampled percussion colliding with real instruments and synths make this an easy comparison but it’s the ease that the duo fit into this mould that impresses so much. The instrumentation being rich and explorative also lends credence to this claim.' so says nialler9

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back